TomTom Navigator Bluetooth/iPAQ 2210

Started by Anonymous, December 3, 2003, 00:02

Anonymous

I was looking for a new GPS for sometime now and in combination with my need for a new PDA (my old Jornada is... old) I decided to opt for a GPS-SatNav/PDA combination.  After a long search, I ended up with the TomTom GPS Bluetooth/Navigator 2 and the iPAQ 2210.  The whole package cost £600 + £100 for 256MB SD and 256MB CF...  Total cost of £700. WHAT A BARGAIN!!!!

During my search, I tried all sorts of equipment including some £1500 in-car systems.  TomTom beats most of them hands down; add to that the fact that this thing is portable, and that the PDA has multiple uses (it actually runs my life, and controls all my hifi and PC; saving me a further £200 for a universal remote) and you have a very sophisticated little system.

If you are after a SatNav, this is the one...

Anonymous

Why are you going for 256Mb of SD and CF?  The TomTom whole UK map is only 92Mb, leaving you with plenty of room for other junk.

Other than that, I agree... very decent system, not much money.

Anonymous

Check this out:  m http://www.totalpda.com/productList.asp?section=304 m

Assuming its the same system, its only £479 here....   s:? :? s:?

Slacey

I use Tom Tom and Pocket Co-Pilot, and prefer Co-Pilot - Tom Tom looks nicer but I find it can be a pain to use on the go, and routes you some funny ways at times. Still good though.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Check this out:  m http://www.totalpda.com/productList.asp?section=304 m

Assuming its the same system, its only £479 here....   s:? :? s:?
Kris, you scared the hell out of me...

That's only the software and the PDA.  The actual Bluetooth GPS receiver is not included (an extra £280).

Anonymous

Sorry mate... just keeping you on your toes!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Errr, the spec says it's got a GPS receiver!  Anyway, you can get a bluetooth holux GPS receiver for £200 too.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"Anyway, you can get a bluetooth holux GPS receiver for £200 too.

Phil, absolutely spot on! Navigator II is compatible with all sorts of GPS receivers and PDAs.

Quote from: "phil4"Errr, the spec says it's got a GPS receiver!

I did look at that website before I splashed out... They also say that they include the official TomTom car kit in the bundle but it's in their recommendation list as well.  That confused me so I gave them a call; they said the car kit was extra...

When spending that sort of money, the reliability and knowledge of the vendor is very important.  The best place in terms of know-how and value I found was GlobalPositioningSystems (since I bought it, they have added a free mount in the bundle).

Anonymous

Gotcha... cheers for clearing that up.

For what it's worth I've got a similar setup to Emmanuel and Slacey, it's genius.

I saved a few quid here and there so it's not bluetooth though.

DAZ400

I bought the Fortuna GPS Smart Bluetooth only £125 to use with Ipaq 2210 and new XDA II with Tom Tom Software.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

aaronjb

Just to sort of confirm what everyone else has said, more or less..

I use TomTom (used v1 and now v2) my iPaq 3975 and the TomTom GPS dongle thingy, along with their own car holder, and I love it.. Hasn't failed me yet (although it did tell me to 'turn around' in a one way street once when I accidentally took a wrong turn.. oops!)

Aaron - who used to get lost, lots, before getting SatNav  s:) :) s:)

P.S. If you have a Symbian phone, look at iTraffic - it's great being able to get the traffic maps on your phone (well it was, until that pesky law came in...)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

so is it just a prtable SAT NAV then or is it one of those hand held computer thingy's !!!

and you say it's transferible to different cars !

Anonymous

handheld computer thingy.

And it's transferable to any form of transport... not just cars.

Slacey

Quote from: "Buster"so is it just a prtable SAT NAV then or is it one of those hand held computer thingy's !!!

and you say it's transferible to different cars !
Yes Buster, these systems are a PDA handheld computer, and either a GPS jacket (like mine) or a GPS receiver at the end of a cable that plugs into the PDA - add one piece of SatNav software and off you go, and because it's a handheld system, it's completely portable.

Anonymous

It has one drawback though... it's a woman who gives you the instructions...

It's given my gfriend ammunition for a month's worth of piss taking!

Slacey

Quote from: "Emmanuel"It has one drawback though... it's a woman who gives you the instructions...
Pocket CoPilot uses a bloke - the speech is far advanced over Tom Tom too, it reads the whole road name out, not just 'turn left' etc.

DAZ400

You can get different voices for tom tom go to the website and download them..  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

any of young single blondes LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

so im guessing that you guys rate these PDA thingys a lot then !

But for £700 you can get a sat nav system in the car with DVD and flip out screen etc!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"But for £700 you can get a sat nav system in the car with DVD and flip out screen etc!

Hmmm... I couldn't find one that's as sophisticated as TomTom.  Not even at twice the price.  Agreed that the in-car SatNav is also a DVD but that's all to it.  The PDA is a computer in it's own right, plus the whole thing is portable (i.e. you can take it abroad, etc).

The possibilities are limitless! Like I said previously, it has saved me 200+ quid for a universal remote for all my TV/hifi equipment.  I connect on the internet on the go through my Bluetooth mobile phone, one could listen to MP3s (if one is into that sort of thing), connect to my home network using wifi, etc, etc, etc.

Also, if you are a geek like me, a PDA based solution is ideal as the thing practically runs my life (now it tells me where to go as well!).

Anonymous

what makes the Tom Tom so good

Sorry to be a burk but i have never sean one of these in action i have only ever installed and used the Alpine Sat Nav or the pioneer which are very clever and i will be suprised if anyhting is better than them

But please tell me it is as then im saving more money   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Buster"what makes the Tom Tom so good
Where do I start... Basically, everything that has been said... To sum up:

GPS unit
- Value for money (the maps are £30 and the unit is around £250-£350)
- It works with various PDAs
- Portable
- No cables (if it's the bluetooth)
- SDK to customise the maps, etc
- London congestion warnings
- Traffic jams re-routing

PDA
- It's a computer (it runs a pocket version of Windows) the size of your palm
- It's a universal colour touch screen remote control with support for unlimited devices
- Internet / e-mail / etc.
- Appointments / contacts / tasks / etc
- Games
- MP3 / WMA / etc
- Networking
- All sorts of applications

You are definitely saving money with one of those babies.  Check it out:

My system:
 m http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co. ... uct_id=352 m

TomTom:
 m http://www.tomtom.com/products/products ... Language=1 m

HP iPAQ 2210:
 m http://h41100.www4.hp.com/uk/eng/commer ... a103a.html m

Anonymous

Sorry to disagree guys but..........
The most sophisticated Sat Nav system is Smartnav. If you want a PDA then its no good, but if its value for money and Sat nav you want then you can't beat it.
A/. You don't pay for maps and it's about a grand for life, always up to date, no upgrades at silly money.
B/. Tidy no unsightly wires, no screens for thieves.
C/. Easily moved from car to car.
D/. You speak to a person, never looking away from the road.
E/. You can give them the company name, road, town, landmark, postcode and they'll search for it.
F/. You can order theatre tickets, flowers for the missus (when you forget the Anniversary, worth it just for that  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
G/. The instructions are the best I've ever come across, and if you go wrong it'll redirect you with no fuss or bother.
H/. If there are roadworks or traffic it will redirect you an alternative. You can set the delay, if there's a queue of 5, 10, 20 etc minutes.
I/. If your wifes in the car, you can order the breakdown service and they know exactly where you are (GPS). On the motorway she doesn't walk for the phone, they let the police know and everything.(you can use that yourself of course too  s:) :) s:)  
J/. You can have it linked for Tracking for theft (don't need to pay the extra as if the police called them they would tell them where the car is anyway)
K/. You can have it set up to let you know about speed cameras (again I don't think it's worth the extra)

The list is endless but in a car which is going to get attention, Why stick a big screen in it to say come on I've got ICE and goodies all you have to do is slice the hood!
Oh and the cost is around £1000 for life!!!!

Ahhh but it doesn't do the stereo bit  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

DAZ400

Yes but my system only cost £500 and is totally portable I can use it on the boat and in the plane and of course the the PDA part is great and when I swap to the XDA II it is the phone as well. The GPS unit I have was only £125 with bluetooth !!!!!!  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: