DOTZ wheels fitted ( pics added )

Started by Anonymous, August 9, 2007, 17:38

Anonymous

cheers 3's a crowd!!!!! that looks much better just need the cash to get it done now   s:( :( s:(  ...

Had it out for a blast in the wet and the difference with the toyo's on is unbelievable not a slide at all!!!. i did want 225's on the rear but the price was going to be higher and i couldn't afford it

Anonymous

Love the wheels. Been thinking about those myself but wasnt sure how they would look on a blue 2.
Spotted a new release by Dotz, same wheels but the front edge is polished and all the side edges and back of the wheel are in black

Just a thought why not, when funds allow, upgrade rears and keep the current as spares for front when required

Ps 3's a crowd can you lower my car too!

Anonymous

Quote from: "patrick_devereux"205/40/17" all round. feels and drives fine..... this is where i get told off isn't it   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Ummm... Yes. Liz was far too kind in her post, so allow me to be a little more frank.

[Mod_hat_off]

The car has already seen the wrong side of an accident due to having mixed tyres on it, and now you put tyres on that are the same size all round?! Forgive me here, but do you not like your wife very much seeing as it's her car? I know divorce can be messy, but it's nowhere near as bad as scraping someone out of a ditch.

Forgive me, maybe the events of the weekend where I saw a good friend of mine slide off the road right in front of me has made me a touch more sensitive to this issue, but when people like you completely ignore the advice and experience that the good people on here have seen fit to pass your way it seriously pisses me off. Do you come on here just to antagonise us? Do you want us to pat you on the back and say "Oh well done sir, this'll make you sit up and take notice when driving now!"? Or do you just want us to sit here and quietly mock you from behind our monitors, knowing that this is going to end in tears again? Well, I shall do nothing of the sort and will outright call you a complete idiot for not doing everything possible to make sure that your car doesn't slip on wet leaves again. How much would the bigger tyres have cost you? Maybe £50? Is that really all you and your wife's lives are worth? AND I've just seen you posting about wanted to spend more money on lowering springs: [ADMIN] Edited as it was a bit close to the wire [ADMIN]

I give up. I really do. There's been hundreds of people that have visited this site and never posted, yet I bet they took the time to read little things like keeping the stagger like Toyota designed the car to have. To all those that have, I take my hat off to you. To everyone who completely ignores everything that people say on here, then I'll be the first to point and laugh when you post on here saying that you've written your car off: I just hope you're still alive to do so.

Anonymous

er ok..... i did look and there are other ppl on here ( in the wheels thread ) running 205's all round without any problems!!! the car feels fine and much more stable than before!!

now i see you have a vx220 there so you must have a fair bit of spare cash floating about... the lowering springs are a future investment where as the wheels and tyres were a must as they were barely legal on the front and the wet weather is coming back.... it wasn't ignored advice it was all taken in i went for the toyo upgrade as said.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "patrick_devereux"yea they come in both. correct ones have been ordered and should be there tomorrow!! free fitting for my troubles   s8) 8) s8)

Why didn't you put what you saved on fitting towards the extra cost of staggered tyres?
Do yourself and your wife a favour Patrick, buy a couple of 225s for the rear, stick it on a credit card if need be, i would hate to see this end in tears.

markiii

Quote from: "patrick_devereux"er ok..... i did look and there are other ppl on here ( in the wheels thread ) running 205's all round without any problems!!! the car feels fine and much more stable than before!!

now i see you have a vx220 there so you must have a fair bit of spare cash floating about... the lowering springs are a future investment where as the wheels and tyres were a must as they were barely legal on the front and the wet weather is coming back.... it wasn't ignored advice it was all taken in i went for the toyo upgrade as said.....

Whilst I won't be as blunt as Dan,

you chose chose to fit those new wheels and incorrect tyres. when for less money you could have just bought replacement tyres of matching brand and correct staggers. This would have been cheaper.

So cost here is not the issue. You CHOSE to economise on the things that keep you on the road because you CHOSE to spend the cash elsewhere.

since common sense hasn't prevailed, lets hope luck does  s:-( :-( s:-(
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "patrick_devereux"er ok..... i did look and there are other ppl on here ( in the wheels thread ) running 205's all round without any problems!!! the car feels fine and much more stable than before!!

I thought the wheels thread was just what people had put on, not long term tests. Still, here's something from Tem about same sizes all around and performance rubber at that. Linkage

Simon

markiii

correct
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MR-S

It boils down to the fact the the mr2 is a delicately balanced car when it leaves the factory, and it leaves the factory with wider tyres on the back. It didn't just happen because toyota couldn't find 4 matching tyres when making it.

It's well known that using staggered tyres on a rwd better balances the car and gives it better grip - BMW, Mercedes, porsche and most other rwd car manufacturers always fit staggered tyres to keep the back end in check even with great traction control systems fitted to all of these marques. The MG TF was originally fitted with same size tyres all round and was so twitchy it was dangerous. I reckon if manufacturers spec says keep em staggered, guess what?? you should keep em staggered.
TRD lip kit, Che Headers, TRD rear Brace, NGK Plugs, TRD oil filter, Facelift side Vents, Key hole covers.

Anonymous

from that thread!!
Quote from: "Ekona"You're a brave person, that's all I'll say. I tried same size all round for about 40 miles, and swore I'd NEVER do it again. Way too unpredictable for my taste, especially when booting it.

never only a brain dead moron would do that  s:? :? s:?  

ok after reading that I'm going to see how much to change the back to 225 and keep the others for a spare for the front.

after reading a few of dan's posts his comment is not as much of a shock as he seems to be a bit of a nasty bloke sitting behind his pc mouthing off!!! i didn't see that thread i dont realy have time to look on here all day....soz

SimonC_Here

40 miles and he changed it because it was dangerous.
His advice is therefore based on experience.

That thread was from a quick search on same sized tyres. I'm not on here 24/7 either.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

And have you ever actually met Dan? Try reading some of the thread in the Events section where Sandy trashed her car, doesn't sound like a nasty bloke to me.

[mod]There are rules about personal attacks, Dan's message was moderated, yours is close to the line to[/mod]

Simon

Anonymous

Quote from: "patrick_devereux"from that thread!!
Quote from: "Ekona"You're a brave person, that's all I'll say. I tried same size all round for about 40 miles, and swore I'd NEVER do it again. Way too unpredictable for my taste, especially when booting it.

never only a brain dead moron would do that  s:? :? s:?  

ok after reading that I'm going to see how much to change the back to 225 and keep the others for a spare for the front.

after reading a few of dan's posts his comment is not as much of a shock as he seems to be a bit of a nasty bloke sitting behind his pc mouthing off!!! i didn't see that thread i dont realy have time to look on here all day....soz

Nasty bloke? Pfft, you should see me when I'm in a bad mood.

For the record, the wheels I bought from a friend had the 205's all round on when I bought them from his house and swapped them for mine, so I had no choice but to drive home for those 40 miles.

I shall also apologise for maybe taking things a bit close to the mark, but the sentiment of my original post stands. And whether I've got more money floating around than you isn't the point, it's the fact that I wouldn't try and save myself a few quid on tyres just because I can. Saying that, if you're now going to change the rears to the bigger size (even 215 will do at a push) then I feel my post was well worth any ballache that comes my way because of it.

Anonymous

ok point taken just thought some of that was a bit harsh... never mind!

i made a mistake due to me wanting some better wheels.. point taken but there is no need for the insults from him ( moron and so is close to the line also even if he is a mod!! )

really dont want to fall out with anyone on here most seem like nice ppl, i'v not even met anyone yet but was going to attend some meets, this sort of putdown would make me think twice.

anyway this is totally off topic so to the point you like the wheels not the tyres thanks and goodnight  s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

I think they're great looking wheels ... but.

Not meaning to add to any bad feeling about tyre sizes, there has been plenty of discussion and debate about tyre sizes on the site already. Ignore it at your peril!

One of the major problems with wheel and tyre suppliers at the moment is that they assume you want the same size tyres and even wheels all around - for FWD that's fine. But for rear wheel drive cars it's a different world.

Toyota designed our little beauties with tyre width stagger for a reason, it makes handling more reliable and more predicatable, and SAFER.

So for anyone ordering wheels, maybe it's best to talk to the supplier directly and insiist on the tyre stagger. If they won't play ball, then you always have the option of not spending your money with them.

I had a quick look on Black circles and the onle Toyo T1Rs for 17 inch wheels and 225 are 225x45x17 which are £7 more each than the 205x40x17's.

So there really is no excuse for falling into this trap, you are spending the money, you are the one choosing to change wheels and tyres, you are the one responsible for controlling the car on the road.

So please please please make sure you get that tyre stagger sorted, it really is so important to be safe on the road (and yes - i was behing Dan and saw Sandi "go off road").  You don't want to be injured or worse and i'm certain you wouldn't be happy if anything happened to the missus.

We are seeing more and more people making the mistake of same sizing tyres, mixing tyres, etc. You're playing with peoples lives IMHO, not just your own but those who are around you.

And Dan - he's a sweet little teddy bear of a guy really, I just need an interpreter to understand his accent  s:P :P s:P
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "patrick_devereux"after reading a few of dan's posts his comment is not as much of a shock as he seems to be a bit of a nasty bloke sitting behind his pc mouthing off!!! i didn't see that thread i dont realy have time to look on here all day....soz

O.H.G.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Dan doesn't need me, or anyone else, to defend him but I'm going to jump in anyway. It was ME that spun my car out in front of him on Saturday and I totaly agree with his sentiments. I know how I felt at the time and I just can't imagine how it must have been for him having a front-row seat to my off. What I do know is that he was an absolute star on the day, and for the rest of the weekend and I couldn't have asked for a nicer bloke to come to my rescue (along with the others of course). I don't want to get into an argument here but you're way out of order here. It's people like Dan that make this club something I want to still be a part of even though I don't currently have a 2.

But back on topic - I also think you're being daft, I didn't speak up before as I thought maybe I wasn't really in a good position to do so given recent events. But have had plenty of time to think and I know that my off was nothing to do with the state / size of my tyres - they were all in good nick and the correct size for my vehicle.

I've never understood people who change the size of their tyres so drastically from the manufacturer's original designs. I would never be so arrogant to assume that I knew better than Mr T (or whoever) on this - afterall how much research must they have done to get the car set up just so?

At the end of the day all you have between you and the road is 4 pieces of rubber, each about the size of a handprint. And those 4 relatively small areas are all you have for acceleration, stopping, cornering etc. Surely it makes sense to ensure you have the best, safest options fitted?

/rant

Anonymous

yea fair doos folks tbh i did want the 225's but went for the easy option wabbitkilla what are the price of the 225's and where from mate?

appoligy accepted dan  s:D :D s:D  

anyone want to buy some brand spankin 205's?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Wabbitkilla

Just wiz across the interweb to Blackcircles, they're a pretty good bunch and if you ring them and say you're a member of the club they usually give you a bit of discount.

They can either deliver them to your address for you to sort out fitting, or they will deliver to one of their agents for you to book in for fitting.

There are other places too, but i would steer clear (no pun intended) of Mytyres for now (different story, have a look at the feedback threads).
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

SimonC_Here

m http://www.blackcircles.com/ m

I think that should work.

[edit]stupid link  s:( :( s:(  go from the home page and choose your options[edit]

Simon

Anonymous

Fair play swp sorry to hear about your accident hope your ok!!! but there were some comments from Dan there that were uncalled for!! and to be honest i was quite shocked from what has usualy been a friendly board.
I have noticed a few harsh comments from him to other people in the past, some deserved...
But ialso noticed this happen to a few people where someone gets a flaming and wound up,comments back and gets jumped on from the members/mods who are friends off here. As you say he is a nice bloke, you know because youv'e met him i have not and he seemed a bit nasty there!!!!... As you would see if you met me am not a brain dead moron all the time just when it comes to buying the wrong size tyres!!

All in all there is some times a bit of a vibe from you long time members towards newer less experienced members ... you should play a bit nicer.

aaronjb

Quote from: "patrick_devereux"you should play a bit nicer.

Ever heard the phrase "tough love"?

Perhaps we should have left it at the first comments - you could have happily run around on 205's until one day when it catches you or your wife out, and you go flying off the road.

Come to think of it, the value of the remaining MR2's has to start going up eventually if enough of them get written off.

Yeah - maybe we should play nicer.

Or maybe we should continue trying to think of everyones safety and persuade them to do what's best, even when they clearly aren't listening and we have to get pretty damn blunt to do so?

Perhaps if you don't appreciate our take on advice you should try SpyderChat and see how they do it.

Now, I think we've had enough about staggered tyres here, and certainly enough arguing, so we'll all stop that now.. right?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I like to play nice!  s:) :) s:)  

I like to help not mock!

Anonymous

yea but no but!!!!!!!!

Naa thanks for the advice am just a bit gutted now  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  im in for it when i tell the wife i need to change the back tyres  s:( :( s:(

Wabbitkilla

Tell her they only cost a tenner - always worked for me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

It's not wasted money really as you can keep the 205's for the front when you wear out the current ones.

Anonymous

Why not just keep the tyres as spares, depending on how quickly you get through tyres and if you plan to keep the 2?!

.. or just tell the wife you got two more tyres for free! BOGOF!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Bogof mite be on the cards   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

i'm guessing the front tyres will last a while tho right?

Tags: