Underside Neon Lights???

Started by heathstimpson, December 31, 2003, 09:13

heathstimpson

What do ya all think about having blue neons lighting up the underside of your 2  s:?: :?: s:?:  Sad or cool  s:?: :?: s:?:  Has anyone done this  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

get it lowered first at least.  And I reckon blue would only work on Blue/Silver cars.  And even then it's a very much on the Rice side... so if you did go down that route, make sure you buy some of this for the next owner: http://board.accordtuner.com/showthread.php?t=205

Slacey

Personally I don't like them, AnnMarie does... do it if you like it though, we encourage individualism here  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Oh, and nice link Phil  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

If they're going to suit any car, I reckon it'd be yours Slacey.

Slacey

Quote from: "phil4"If they're going to suit any car, I reckon it'd be yours Slacey.
Get away with you!

Errr... what colour....  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "phil4"If they're going to suit any car, I reckon it'd be yours Slacey.
Get away with you!

Errr... what colour....  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Nah, serious... think it'd complement the stealth look of it.  

As for colour I think it depends on how you want to add to the stealth, blue for cold... red for racing, green for F&F look-a-like.

GSB

No...

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no......

Unles you really want to of course, then by all means go ahead. As Slacey quite rightly says, individualism is heartily encouraged.  Its just a shame that every Max Power reading, modded 1.0l fartbox driving, backwards baseball cap wearing dickhead in the country has already got them though... It'd probably look quite unique otherwise.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

If I did do it, I would go for red, to complement the black / red colour scheme. As I said before though I'm not keen... maybe one day though...

heathstimpson

Quote from: "GSB"No...

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no......

Unles you really want to of course, then by all means go ahead. As Slacey quite rightly says, individualism is heartily encouraged.  Its just a shame that every Max Power reading, modded 1.0l fartbox driving, backwards baseball cap wearing dickhead in the country has already got them though... It'd probably look quite unique otherwise.
Thats the problem; Corsa owners have spoilt it 4 all.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Thats the problem; Corsa owners have spoilt it 4 all.

Not to worry - the Courts were recently granted new powers to revoke licences for life for 'antisocial driving' & dangerous driving convictions..

So they'll have no licences soon, and there'll be no Corsa owners left  s;) ;) s;)

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Personally I really liked the idea of neons, on a really lowered car.. But I think the rest of the car has to look spotlessly clean, and not standard.. Having seen red ones on a black RX-7 the other week that was a wee bit tatty (sssshhh, don't tell the owner who was doing his level best to pose while driving around Reading), they don't look so good unless the car is utterly perfect..

Oh and they don't look that great in the daytime (a' la RX-7 owner)   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

bluephoenix's Veilside-kitted '2 has blue neons. Like many, they're not my thing, but in conjunction with the kit, it did at least look vaguely "right", in an F&F kind of way.

If you do fit them, make sure you can't see the tubes from a normal position; a subtle neon glow is one thing, visible striplights is another...

Anonymous

Dear God.

Slacey

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"Dear God.
Not a fan, WD?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Whenever you see a car with blue neon round these parts, the word "ned" instantly springs to mind.

Do you have to wear a Burberry baseball cap to go alongside it?   s;-) ;-) s;-)

Tem

If God wanted us to use underside neons, there would be some hanging from our ass  s8) 8) s8)

I guess neons would be appropriate after some crazy bodykit, but please don't rape a nice MR2 with those  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I was coming back down the M3 from Heathrow on Sunday night, and passed a J-reg red mini cooper with GREEN neons glowing underneath!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  It looked like some kind of christmas bauble!

I was under the impression it was actually illegal to drive along with under-car lights on though? You're only allowed to use them for stationary off-road "posing"? LOL!

The only time I'm ever stationary off road and sitting in my car is when I'm cleaning it.. I don't hang around in carparks all night, so reckon they'd be useless for me.. although some blue neons in the footwells might be cool...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Tim

aaronjb

Quote from: "c_a_r_t_e_r"I was under the impression it was actually illegal to drive along with under-car lights on though? You're only allowed to use them for stationary off-road "posing"? LOL!

My interpretation of the laws is that you can only 'display' certain colours of lights on each side of the car - e.g. the rear may only have red (brake, tail & fog), white (reverse) and yellow (indicators), and the front may only have white (headlamps, d'uh  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) and yellow (indicators), the sides only yellow (repeaters). Any other colour is illegal..

So you could put red neons on the back, yellow on the sides, and steal a striplight from your kitchen for the front  s:D :D s:D   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Technically I think that makes the various other glowing things people put on cars illegal too (those hideous washer jet things, and any electroluminescent panels on badges etc).. But then you see plenty of lorries driving around with Xmas lights in the cab, so...  s:D :D s:D

QuoteI don't hang around in carparks all night, so reckon they'd be useless for me.. although some blue neons in the footwells might be cool...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

<sarcasm>You don't? But you're missing out on all the awesome totty...</sarcasm>

s:D :D s:D

Aaron
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Liz

If you come down to Sarfend on a Saturday night you can see the whole spectrum of neon lights underneath cars and some sort of lights that pulse along with music (one for Buster there maybe!), best one I saw was a white Scooby which had a green apron all around it from underneath   s:? :? s:?  , I hasten to add I was not down there but watching the CCTV link from Sarfend police station.

Each to their own I suppose, but I suppose because of the cruisers down here you get used to seeing them and they don't look special. But I agree that the car would have to be lowered in order for them to look any good.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"If you come down to Sarfend on a Saturday night you can see the whole spectrum of neon lights underneath cars
[snip]
I hasten to add I was not down there but watching the CCTV link from Sarfend police station.

Of course you weren't Liz.. of course...  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Looking for a nice pimply-faced Nova owning toyboy were we?  s:D :D s:D   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Aaron (is joking, of course. And now hiding. Just in case anyone comes to beat him up  s:D :D s:D  )

Anonymous

I think the washer lights are fine as long as they're not visible from the rear of the car/truck.  I remember reading this specific about it somewhere not long ago.

Liz

Quote from: "aaronjb"Of course you weren't Liz.. of course...  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Looking for a nice pimply-faced Nova owning toyboy were we?  s:D :D s:D   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Errr no!! But I used to have a giggle racing them off the lights on the way home after work on a Saturday when I finish at 22.00, shame they put 3 sets of Speed cameras in down the drag route into town, spoils all the fun!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

On the celi I had a set of blue neons and also blue led bars, these are the ones that can strobe, chase around the car or pulse to the music.

Neons give off a nice glow but generally are not that bright, leds are brighter but are more localised with the light, ie a bar of light rather than a glow.

Seeing that the law states no blue lights at all on a moving vehicle (apart from emergency vehicles) I was happily surprised that I never got pulled.

To be honest I found that i didnt use them that much and it was usually only in a convoy of celicas to and from meets, however I did have them on a remote so that you could easily locate your car in a car park from the blue glowing  s;-) ;-) s;-)

for the boot install I used cold cathode lighting, this is twice as bright as neons and a third of the price, unfortunately its not as robust as neons so not practical for outside the car, but it would be ideal for footwells etc

Anonymous

I think I'd find footwell lighting annoyingly distracting.

aaronjb

Quote from: "perry190"for the boot install I used cold cathode lighting, this is twice as bright as neons and a third of the price, unfortunately its not as robust as neons so not practical for outside the car, but it would be ideal for footwells etc

Cold cathodes are cool  s;) ;) s;)  And low current consumption.. I have one, but not in the car..

http://www.mind-design.demon.co.uk/pics/new-computer.jpg

Yep.. I'm sad.. Shoot me..  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

So why'd you hide it away?

Tags: