Q: Replacing H/U - removing existing bits

Started by filcee, January 4, 2004, 12:45

filcee

I'm struggling to remove the plastic covers on the uprights so I can get at the H/U fixing bolts.  So far, there's a fair amount of force involved, but nothing doing - other than I'm probbaly creating another rattle to listen to!

I'm following the Euroroadster website and Spyder Magazine website instructions.  Unfortunately both suggest the silver 'boot' at the bottom of the uprights comes off, but don't give any clues as to how.

There's some sort of tab underneath that I can feel.  If I pull down/out I can see a locator at the top corners - this bends, but doesn't release. as far as I can tell, the two 'buttons' are fake - I thought they might be screw covers - but don't appear to be.  So, what's the secret to getting this off so I can get at the screws?
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Slacey

Phil, the silver parts just clip on - grab one edge and pull really hard - watch your fingers though, this can hurt!
Once they are off, you will see the bolts at the bottom that allow the removal of the other bits and bobs.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

Just to add, if you get stuck again, give me a ring and I'll see if I can help you out.

filcee

Sean,

Thanks - sorted now.  I found another site which gave me a clue:

Yet another radio install site

The hint was to grab it underneath at the back and pull forward - it worked, but you're right, it makes the ends of your fingers hurt like hell!  As I still need to fit the pocket and spacers - which I won't get from Mr T. until tomorrow - I've left the silver boots off for now.

Phil (with half completed H/U replacement - YAY!)
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Slacey

Glad you got it sorted in the end... and no phone call either!

filcee

Not yet  s;-) ;-) s;-)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable

Tags: