current best speakers for £120?

Started by kanujunkie, January 6, 2004, 12:19

kanujunkie

as the subject says, does anyone know whats best at the mo, did a search and found an old link but nothing from recent.

s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Slacey

At the time I bought mine (July '03), Buster recommended Focal 165A's (which are superb) - as far as I am aware, he hasn't rated anything over them for the price as yet....
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

kanujunkie

Cheers Sean,

funny enough those were the ones i was looking at    s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

and funnily enough they are what I have installed  s;) ;) s;)  !

Slacey

We're obviously all people of great taste!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Slacey"At the time I bought mine (July '03), Buster recommended Focal 165A's (which are superb) - as far as I am aware, he hasn't rated anything over them for the price as yet....
Do you know the cheapest place to buy these from  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Slacey

I've done a quick web search and drawn a blank on the 165a's, they seem to have been replaced by the 165 V2, which are £185.

I paid £130 for mine last year (can't remember the URL), Halfords stocked them though try there, they may even be reduced now.

zud

I ordered mine over the web for £130, which I was a pretty good price at the time... then noticed them at Halfords for the same price!  So I'd start there.  But feel free to pm me if you have no luck at Halfords... I'll dig out the receipt to get the website for you.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

kanujunkie

Halfords only stock Focal 6x9's and subs now, no 165's  s:? :? s:?

try this

http://www.mobiletoys.co.uk/acatalog/Mobiletoys_Polyflex___Access_Line_31.html
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Halfords only stock Focal 6x9's and subs now, no 165's  s:? :? s:?
Oh well, I'm sure Buster will recommend an equivalent when he turns up.

aaronjb

I seem to remember Buster has recommended these people before;

Focal's at CarAudioDiscount.com

Although I can't find the speakers you're referring to, I'm not entirely sure which ones I'm looking for  s:) :) s:)

[edit] Just noticed, under the 'Access' range they have Focal 165a's for £139.99 the pair.. [/edit]
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "aaronjb"[edit] Just noticed, under the 'Access' range they have Focal 165a's for £139.99 the pair.. [/edit]
Those are the lads, more expensive than I paid nearly a year ago though  s:? :? s:?

GSB

As a speakers sound quality is so subjective (what you think sounds good will sound awful to someone else, and vice versa) you're better off going into somewhere that has them in a test stand and having a listen.

Look out for any 2 way component set by MB Quart, Infinity, JL Audio, Focal etc. etc. Basically any well respected manufacturer. Be wary of Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood etc. as although they DO make a lot of good stuff, they also seem to make a lot of overpriced labeled dross thats aimed at Max Power reading dipshits who wouldn't know high quality audio if it bit them on the arse.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Well i always like Focal for SQ (sound quailty) and nothing in there price range i have found beats them yet!

But another up and coming make is Magnet and JL these companys have mainly been into suba nd amp making but now they have gone into comp making. i went to a few shows this year and saw there products and they are in some cases better made than the focals but are on a pare on SQ but give out much more SPL

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Buster"Well i always like Focal for SQ (sound quailty) and nothing in there price range i have found beats them yet!

But another up and coming make is Magnet and JL these companys have mainly been into suba nd amp making but now they have gone into comp making. i went to a few shows this year and saw there products and they are in some cases better made than the focals but are on a pare on SQ but give out much more SPL

SPL????
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

thanx for the advice folks, when the post chrimbo, lack of funds have subsided, i'll go get some.  can't wait  s:D :D s:D
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

SPL = Sound Pressure Level, (Volume basically)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

crankshaft

Hi;

Can you tell me if the Focal speakers you are all referring to (an recommending) are the Focal 165A or the 165V2 ??

Thanx

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

Slacey

Quote from: "crankshaft"Hi;

Can you tell me if the Focal speakers you are all referring to (an recommending) are the Focal 165A or the 165V2 ??
The 165a's, I believe the 165V2 are the newer (more expensive) update.

Anonymous

and worth the extra $$$$ As they sound a lot better   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

at last focal have updated there range and now they have new polykevalar ones out to ! just waiting for my student loan LOL   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

crankshaft

Great, I just got a quote for about 140 quid for the 165V2s, which I believe is pretty good  :-) :-) :-)

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Slacey

Very good in fact! Where from?

crankshaft

Ahh, Sorrie, I should have said, the price I was quoted was Singapore Dollars 430.00 which is 138 Quid, I can bury 1 set in my suitcase but unfortunately, adding shipping costs, duty and VAT means that they would be more than if you bought them in the UK, so there's no business opportunity there.

I hav shipped a lot of used notebooks to the UK and shipping, duty and VAT kill much of the $$ advantage.

But saying that, the US Dollar is sliding against the pound now, so there should be some good deals to be had !

Crankshaft.
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

Payed a visit to SMC Sound And Vision in Shrewsbury today, they are selling Focal 165V speakers for £150 reduced from £255.
Could someone let me know if they are a good alternative to 165A units?.

MRMike

The 'V' series are the next step up in specification in the focal range. The V series being made from 'PolyGlass' whilst the access line are made from fibreglass.

However there are two versions of the 'V' series, the V series is the model which you mentioned which is the slimmer version of the V2.  As you can get the V2 in you might as well go for this version as it will handle more power, (150W v 120W) if your amping them.  But if you cant get that cracking deal on the bigger mag ones then these will do nicely, I was going to get these as i was worried about the depth of the V2's initially.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tags: