Forum Downtime

Started by aaronjb, May 2, 2008, 10:05

aaronjb

So, as you've all no doubt noticed (given the number of texts and emails I got) - the forum died yesterday afternoon.

The short explanation is: You all post too dman much! Go drive your dman cars!  s;) ;) s;)

Sadly our current host has a 100Mb database size limit (though you can create 10 such databases - go figure!), and they disable our database access when we reach 150% of that size.

Yesterday afternoon we reached 150.01Mb and our access was curtailed.

So, after spending the evening and part of the night copying the database off, culling as much as possible, and rebuilding the search indexes from scratch, we now have a database that's 145Mb.

As you can see that doesn't give us very much headroom for posts.

This means that we need to move hosts now, more or less.  Something that I'll be doing over the coming week - at some point there will be ~3 days of downtime (may be more, may be less - the majority of that time will be switching DNS records which can take 48hrs to propogate through the Internet).

Now I want to explain something.. switching hosts will not be cheap.

Right now we pay ~£175 a year for hosting, which is quite inexpensive.

When we move to a virtual dedicated host, that cost is going to rise to ~£300 a year (we will most likely move to a host in Canada for cost reasons, a host in the UK would cost us significantly more).

Given what we have in club funds that may mean you all have to chip in a little more regularly (clearly what we have would last us ~2 years, assuming we did not fund any national meets, treasure hunts etc as we have done in the past).

A cheaper solution could be to move to a hosted board solution like IP.Board (ala SpyderChat) - but I must say that personally I'm not overly keen on that - I don't like IP.Board as a user, largely because it's search functionality seems.. abysmal.  Of course it does that to keep database size down - which is phpBB's achilles heel.

We'll look at all the options, but I think that sticking with phpBB is likely to win out - cheaper options seem less functional, and more expensive options (like VBulletin) are - well - more expensive.

Stay tuned, folks.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

Aaron. On behalf of everyone, thanks yet again for giving up your free time to turn this around. You're a star.  s8) 8) s8)  

I've emptied my sentbox - does that help?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Trying to keep this host limping along isn't an option any more, so lets go for that switch.

If anyone has immediate business on here (sales/events etc) that need sorting in the meantime, I suggest you secure alternative contact details for the time-being.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

rmowbray

Quote from: "spit"Aaron. On behalf of everyone, thanks yet again for giving up your free time to turn this around. You're a star.  s8) 8) s8)  
Yeah, what he said   s8) 8) s8)

StuM

What they said... Thanks Aaron.

I've just made a donation - it seems a small amount to pay for the potential savings gained from the wealth of information on here.

Cheers,
Stu
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Liz

Indeed - thank you so much Aaron, I truly appreciate how much of your own time you give to keeping this club online. And thank you to anyone who has given a donation to the club on the back of this.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

wbarrwebster

Hi,

As above, thanks Aaron

Regards,

B
W. B. Webster

northernalex

again, as above.. thanks aaron.

Liz,
whats the paypal email address for dontations again?

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

spit

Quote from: "northernalex"whats the paypal email address for dontations again?

Surely its already listed in your Paypal dropdown menu Alex?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

But thanks for asking the question to allow us to state it again....

e mailto:donations@mr2roc.org">donations@mr2roc.org e
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

uktotty

Aaron
I am paying £79 per year for UK Totty
We have 7GBYTES yes GIGABYTES of storage and 150Gbits per month!
CHANGE NOW!!

Russ

alancdavis

Am I correct if we all control our mail box items this will help ?
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"You all post too dman much!

It wasn't me, honest!
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

enid_b

Quote from: "rmowbray"
Quote from: "spit"Aaron. On behalf of everyone, thanks yet again for giving up your free time to turn this around. You're a star.  s8) 8) s8)  
Yeah, what he said   s8) 8) s8)

as i've mentioned several times before, but i reiterate it

THANKS AARON
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Thanks Aaron, Thats one heck of a job, i promise to keep my texts shorter and not post big ones   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
Ps; you can delete the chili red bed bug if you like   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Re:
as i've mentioned several times before, but i reiterate it

THANKS AARON[/quote]

CREEP!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Behave ya self Enid!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: