Ultimate 1zz - 190bhp - Needs a new exhaust manifold...

Started by Anonymous, June 28, 2008, 10:01

Midshipman

very impressive!  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  
It might be some thing to do to my own car her in Sweden.
Or I just have to save some more money and take it to Scotland!! (and play golf and drink ale for a month)
[size=150]With a good iron pipe you hit the world with amazement!![/size]
http://www.garaget.org/?car=97192
Black \'00, Red ltr, TM duals, PPE CAI, B&M short shift,Aluminum shifter knob, JDM HVAC panel, US mats, Red/black shift boot, Clear turn signal, Beatrush front strut bar, Steel braided clutch hose, Speed source solid brass shift cable bushings, Black J-Spec front badge, J-spec rear badge, DevĀ“s keyhole cover. And K-sport coil-overs.

ChrisGB

Those are some very impressive numbers.The torque fall off from 6500rpm that is killing the top end could well be down to the manifold IMO. On the other hand, it may be down to intake manifold restrictions or the limits of the head layout / port sizes. My PPE equipped car falls off much more gently on stock cams. Personally, I would decide what rev limit I wanted, then speak to PPE and Zero to gauge their suggestions. Both outfits can do custom jobs and PPE seem to charge about the same for custom or standard manifolds. If it were me, I would be going for PPE with a slightly larger collector diameter.

Paul at PPE is very helpful and knows his stuff. Sure that the guys at Zero will be the same.

That car must be ace to drive!

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

It's certainly getting there.

What's the scale on the torque values, as it gone up much more???

Any reason why you can't up the RPM or does the new Q unit not allow that??

I would say the Zero would improve your mid range when it comes to torque, depending on how hard you drive the car - say always up to the redline then the PPE would probably give you a better top end. You just need to consider the reliability factor and how long it will last continually thrashing the cans off it.

Rob.

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "FGRob"It's certainly getting there.

I would say the Zero would improve your mid range when it comes to torque, depending on how hard you drive the car - say always up to the redline then the PPE would probably give you a better top end. You just need to consider the reliability factor and how long it will last continually thrashing the cans off it.

Rob.

Rob, I think your going to have to change your signature  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB"On the other hand, it may be down to intake manifold restrictions or the limits of the head layout / port sizes

I did consider that - but then the 4AGE engine runs slightly smaller valve sizes than the 1zz, has marginally smaller ports and can make over 200bhp from a 1.6! This suggests to me that the limit of this engine is in the region of 220bhp with a sorted exhaust.

Quote from: "FGRob"What's the scale on the torque values, as it gone up much more???

Scale on the Excel chart is the same as bhp - it is in lb/ft.

The rev limit was increased using the Q. I told Dastek to set it where the power drops off so it is set at 7600 at the mo.

I think Chris has the best idea - I will talk to Zero Exhaust with a view to a complete custom system - since I have no heat shields, I can the entire section behind the engine to get perfect header routing.

Given that I used the absoulte best kit, and I wont rev-limit above 7800 no matter where the power lies (it will spin to 8000) - I would be very suprised if I get reliability issues....*crosses fingers* *hopes*

Anonymous

Quote from: "evileye_xc"
Quote from: "FGRob"It's certainly getting there.

Rob.

Rob, I think your going to have to change your signature  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Phil

Only you can do that Phil  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: