12" sub install. few pics!

Started by Andy_Foz, September 28, 2008, 14:59

Andy_Foz

Only a very small update, but I threw a small install in the '2 this afternoon.

Bought a cheap 4 channel amp from a guy on the forum (cheers, Mark!) and got hold of a cheap and cheerful 12" sub from Tottenham Court Road before I started work on Friday. Made a box yesterday out of 18mm MDF. It is a little on the small side (about 5 litres less than recommended) but it sounds really good. Really missed having a bit of bass in a car. Just need to get round to fitting some components to balance it out a little.

Like I said, its only small and just a modest install, but it sounds infinitely better than what was there before (nothing!). Please excuse the awful wiring. Need to spend ten minutes tidying it all up!

Andy

uktotty

Looks good mate but most custom boxes make the sub angled to match the doors not square. Just a thought?

What sort of amp are you using as I am looking at a sub on here for sale also.

Andy_Foz

Quote from: "uktotty"Looks good mate but most custom boxes make the sub angled to match the doors not square. Just a thought?

What sort of amp are you using as I am looking at a sub on here for sale also.

Thanks, bud. I dont have doors on mine anyway so it wasnt really a problem. Did consider giving it an angle to match but because of the size of the sub, it would have meant sacrificing even more of the space that the sub required. Its just a quick few hours spent and it means I have sound in the car. Im capable of building something quite custom out of fibreglass. If I have more time and it grates me, it could easily be changed!

Its just a cheap 1600 watt amp. Two channels are bridged together to give the sub 800w, probably about 400ish w RMS.

Andy

Tags: