New wheels ... and a few problems with the supplier

Started by Anonymous, November 1, 2008, 21:50

markiii

Quote from: "northernalex"I'm pretty sure that with a hot air gun and a little pressure on the wheel liner it can be warped to a shape where there is no rubbing..

depends if it rubs the inside liner or teh outside metal arch
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Quote from: "StuM"I'm a bit lost here - I thought you were going for SP wheels with the correct offsets?

Which are you now going for and why the different offets front to back?

Offset is critical in that is used to measure the correct lateral spacing of the wheel - your mixed offset means that front and rears will vary slightly as to how far 'out' they stick.  If the 38 offset rubs, I'm not sure that reducing tyre width will be enough to compensate..   s:? :? s:?  

What size tyres have you ordered?  I thought that you were having 17" all round?

true to an extent

however if the rear is wider than the front and teh offset is different it can end up with the relative offsets balancing out depends on exact measurements though
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

StuM

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "StuM"I'm a bit lost here - I thought you were going for SP wheels with the correct offsets?

Offset is critical in that is used to measure the correct lateral spacing of the wheel - your mixed offset means that front and rears will vary slightly as to how far 'out' they stick.  If the 38 offset rubs, I'm not sure that reducing tyre width will be enough to compensate..   s:? :? s:?  

What size tyres have you ordered?  I thought that you were having 17" all round?

true to an extent

however if the rear is wider than the front and the offset is different it can end up with the relative offsets balancing out depends on exact measurements though

Sorry yes, I forgot about the actual rim being wider.
Stu M

Ex 2001 Lagoon Blue Mr2 Roadster
Now - 1985 VW T25 Panel Van \":-)\"

Anonymous

Hi Stu,
It's best i don't comment on SP wheels and Silverstone Performance, maybe Mark or someone can fill you in on those if they know.

As yet i'm still trying to find the correct wheels/offsets and tyres. Though i'm working on 17x 7.5 rears and 16 x 7 fronts.
Currently my stock sizes are 16's rear and 15 fronts.

Anonymous

Quote from: "northernalex"I'm pretty sure that with a hot air gun and a little pressure on the wheel liner it can be warped to a shape where there is no rubbing..

If i don't get my wheels sorted soon Alex, looks like it's you and me , middle of the night buddy off to evil eye Phills to strutt our stuff with his wheels!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

I'm going to hold off on commenting ref SP wheels in this thread for teh time bieng (no one read anything sinister into that all will become clear later)

CJ I suggest you check teh wheels thread for anyone running that offset to see if they have rubbing issues, if I had to guess I think you will be ok, but I've never tried them personaly my old wheels were a 42mm offset and that worked fine

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"I'm going to hold off on commenting ref SP wheels in this thread for the time bieng (no one read anything sinister into that all will become clear later)

CJ I suggest you check the wheels thread for anyone running that offset to see if they have rubbing issues, if I had to guess I think you will be ok, but I've never tried them personaly my old wheels were a 42mm offset and that worked fine

Oh yeessssssssss... sorry Alex looks like evil eye Phill may get to keep his wheels afterall  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Hope you've not already started knittin that balaclava to strutt your stuff with!   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "Cj"Oh yeessssssssss... sorry Alex looks like evil eye Phill may get to keep his wheels afterall  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Hope you've not already started knittin that balaclava to strutt your stuff with!   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

He comes round my house ballyed up and trying to nick me wheels he'll get to meet Pokey and Wacky again, my pet baseball bats. One of which was too big for him to swing in the summer!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Quote from: "evileye_xc"
Quote from: "Cj"Oh yeessssssssss... sorry Alex looks like evil eye Phill may get to keep his wheels afterall  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Hope you've not already started knittin that balaclava to strutt your stuff with!   s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

He comes round my house ballyed up and trying to nick me wheels he'll get to meet Pokey and Wacky again, my pet baseball bats. One of which was too big for him to swing in the summer!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Phil

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Don't worry Phill, Got a call this morning, my wheels have arrived! Yours are safe now   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  AND- the good news is...Alex and i got to save a fiver between us on balaclavas off fleabay!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Cj

Anonymous

UPDATE:

The wheels and tyres are now fitted   s:D :D s:D   Inchcape Toyota at Burton-on-Trent have done an excellent job. All the geometrys been sorted, they took great time in making sure it drove perfectly.
Smiley Shaun even fetched me in to show me how that 'other company' had'nt tightned the nut where the camber is, hence that companys strange allignment readout/printout! That could have been fatal!
I would'nt ever allow anyone but them to do any work on my MR2 ever again.Not even another Toyota.Great,friendly and amazingly helpful bunch they all are.Even the guys who valet the cars were so friendly.No-one could ask for or expect a better service.

The drive home on that setup of wheel & tyre was the most comfortable drive i've had in the 2 so far. Yokohama 'S drive' tyres seem to have very good grip.

A sincere THANKS! to everyone who's helped me with the wheels  on here and contributed there time on this thread.(  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  )

Oh and to the young lad at...YES Halfords Burton who actually listened to what i TOLD him to order...It took him a whole day to sort it, as their computer would'nt accept my different size wheels,Shaun pulled out all stops and got round it,rang Team Dynamics, his head office too. The poor lad was headbanging...but heads above any of the other so called no-it-alls that tryed with poor effort.

Cj x

aaronjb

Glad you got a result in the end, Cj - loose nuts can be a terrible affliction.

Oh god.. even I've started with the innuendos now.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Glad you got a result in the end, Cj - loose nuts can be a terrible affliction.

s:D :D s:D  , never ever play with your nuts Aaron   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  It's bad for ya   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

northernalex

Quote from: "aaronjb"Glad you got a result in the end, Cj - loose nuts can be a terrible affliction.

Yes you dont want your nuts to fall off..
Loose nuts can cause severe problems..

sorry couldnt help it

Well done.. glad its all sorted!!!

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Quote from: "northernalex"

Yes you dont want your nuts to fall off..
Loose nuts can cause severe problems..

sorry couldnt help it

Well done.. glad its all sorted!!!

Alex

RE: Those loose camer nuts. For anyone in the know about wheels i've taken some phot'os of the print out that company gave me after they had done the wheel allighnment...Does this not show that the drivers side wheel has a problem? Looks sticky out to me on the printout...

Cj

northernalex

Yes, the alignment on the back right wheel does look squiffy.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Quote from: "northernalex"Yes, the alignment on the back right wheel does look squiffy.
Lol it looks squiffy to me too Alex   s:D :D s:D  kicks out dosn't it.
Thought this thread was dead so i opened a new one under whwwl alignment. Might be to technical for me to understand though...

Cj

northernalex

Squiffy is about as technical as I can do at the moment  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

Tags: