New wheels ... and a few problems with the supplier

Started by Anonymous, November 1, 2008, 21:50

northernalex

Quote from: "Cj"Hi basically an update on the wheel /tyre scenario...maybe this should be on a wheel thread now as the Lambo doors have gone out the window    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Ok: Spoke to jeff foulks who fitted them this morning- basically he's saying it's aload of bull and the correct tyres & wheels sizes at 205/40/17's all round are right, infact he's insisting on this and says the car has the correct wheels and is not dangerous.

I've phoned Toyota who seem to think that 235/40/17 wider on the rear maybe correct, but are having this technically looked into for me.
Also the make tyres appear to be budget tyres on the new wheels.  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

So we shall see...i'll keep you all updated as to the outcome.

Thanks again for all you input and support on the flippin wheels   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Cj (Carolyne Jayne)

Cj,  He is deffinatly wrong, I agree with what Mark and Edward are saying.  He just doesnt want to shell out for wider tyres on the rear.  Simply point out that on here there is around 50-100 years combined experience with MR2s and that 99% of the crashed ones we see on here have.
1)Mixed tyres (3 one make and 1 another make for example)
2)Same tyre stagger all round.

Ask him if he'll fit the bill should you have an accident.

If you can't get anywhere with him, then have the same tyre type put on the rear (wider though) and keep the ones you take off as replacements for the front shuold you get a puncture etc.

Kind Regards

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

UPDATE:

Have advised Yokohama tyres,i now need 4 new tyres at over £150 each!  
They are booked in with my Mr T for fitting, balancing etc on Friday, along with its new jspec bonnet badge.

PHEwwwwwwwwwww........

Cj

Anonymous

Quote from: "northernalex"
Quote from: "Cj"Hi basically an update on the wheel /tyre scenario...maybe this should be on a wheel thread now as the Lambo doors have gone out the window    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Ok: Spoke to jeff foulks who fitted them this morning- basically he's saying it's aload of bull and the correct tyres & wheels sizes at 205/40/17's all round are right, infact he's insisting on this and says the car has the correct wheels and is not dangerous.

I've phoned Toyota who seem to think that 235/40/17 wider on the rear maybe correct, but are having this technically looked into for me.
Also the make tyres appear to be budget tyres on the new wheels.  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  

So we shall see...i'll keep you all updated as to the outcome.

Thanks again for all you input and support on the flippin wheels   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Cj (Carolyne Jayne)

Cj,  He is deffinatly wrong, I agree with what Mark and Edward are saying.  He just doesnt want to shell out for wider tyres on the rear.  Simply point out that on here there is around 50-100 years combined experience with MR2s and that 99% of the crashed ones we see on here have.
1)Mixed tyres (3 one make and 1 another make for example)
2)Same tyre stagger all round.

Ask him if he'll fit the bill should you have an accident.

If you can't get anywhere with him, then have the same tyre type put on the rear (wider though) and keep the ones you take off as replacements for the front shuold you get a puncture etc.

Kind Regards

Alex

Hi Alex the tyres ar'nt good tyres and so i may as well just have decent ones all round and have done with.

Cj

uktotty

Sorry to put a downer on this but after paying for 4 tyres which are useless from a man who knows noting about tyres, who is paying for the replacement tyres???

Anonymous

Flippin eck!!! the tread pattern on the yokohama's for front and rear are different as per size tyre...Just how complex is a set of wheels.

Is'nt it just as dangerous to have two different tread patterns as it is to have the same wheels all round?.GORDON BENNIT! whoever he is   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Cj

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"Sorry to put a downer on this but after paying for 4 tyres which are useless from a man who knows noting about tyres, who is paying for the replacement tyres???

He's asked me to give him time to find suitable tyres available to him. He has'nt as yet said whats what on that one ...Only he has a bad back and should'nt be under any stress.

We shall see.

markiii

Quote from: "Cj"Flippin eck!!! the tread pattern on the yokohama's for front and rear are different as per size tyre...Just how complex is a set of wheels.

Is'nt it just as dangerous to have two different tread patterns as it is to have the same wheels all round?.GORDON BENNIT! whoever he is   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  

Cj

indeed it is

you want teh same tyre

manufacturer
model
tread pattern

and preferably thogh not essential teh same load rating

settle for nothing less

PS whats his back got to do with stress?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

enid_b

i think we need to get the boys together in a van, and pay a trip down to see this legend of mechanical mastery.

what a turnip.

at least you have got the ball rolling cj.  he knows he has done you, with that latest excuse of his back and stress.

you wanna take this higher, to the regional manager i would say, and demand a full written apology for this mess.

print out some of the wheels and tyres posts about staggers as ammunition.

clowns.

they might as well have put oil on your brake discs and sent you down a hill.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Anyone any idea where i can get suitable tyres from, the correct size an all as Markiii mentioned? Who would do them.

Markii? do you know...  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  Anyone Know???

Cj

uktotty

Anonymous

Quote from: "enid_b"i think we need to get the boys together in a van, and pay a trip down to see this legend of mechanical mastery.

what a turnip.

at least you have got the ball rolling cj.  he knows he has done you, with that latest excuse of his back and stress.

you wanna take this higher, to the regional manager i would say, and demand a full written apology for this mess.

print out some of the wheels and tyres posts about staggers as ammunition.

clowns.

they might as well have put oil on your brake discs and sent you down a hill.

E

Norti you Enid   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   He is the manager and he owns the bussiness   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

northernalex

Quote from: "Cj"Anyone any idea where i can get suitable tyres from, the correct size an all as Markiii mentioned? Who would do them.

Markii? do you know...  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  Anyone Know???

Cj

m http://www.blackcircles.co.uk m  have always been pretty good.. if you go for Toyo TR1 they are a great make of tyre and will be far cheaper than your yokos - give me two mins I'll get them priced up
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Quote from: "uktotty"Blackcircles.com

Had them before under me eyes...i'll have a peek thanks totty   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Cj

markiii

or etyres

or even god forbid quikfit

just tell them what you need and see what options they come back with
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

northernalex

rears

Toyo Proxes T1-R

Customer Rating:  

235/40 R17 Y (94)Reinforced

£99.46

Front

Toyo Proxes T1-R

Customer Rating:  

205/40 R17 W (84)Reinforced

£73.18  

These are the delivered prices so add 10-15 quid onto each for fitted. If you give blackcircles a call or an email and quote the mr2 roadster owners club you may be able to get a discount. I got a full set of 15's of these fitted for £240.

Cheers

Alex

PS i'm feeling in a giving mood today.. can you tell.
evileye_xc said:

markiii

don;t put 235 tyres on a 7 inch rim

northernalex

oh just noticed the fronts and rears have two different speed ratings.. ideally these should be the same, but for the life of me I cant remeber what speed rating our tyres need to be.
evileye_xc said:

markiii

V will be plenty high enough for an n/a roadster

northernalex

Quote from: "markiii"don;t put 235 tyres on a 7 inch rim

Blackcircles didnt do the 225s

I'll shut up now  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

Not only is he wrong, so very, very wrong, he is also incompetent.

onion86

Quote from: "markiii"don;t put 235 tyres on a 7 inch rim

that just 235/40 or would 235/35 be a bad idea too?
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

markiii

235 really needs a 7.5 rim minimum arguably profile independant

SPWheels are 245 tyre on an 8" rim

225 is really your max on a 7" rim

muffdan

could he drop to 195 on the fronts to correct the stagger?

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

markiii

m http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html m

take a look and see  :-) :-) :-)

markiii

185/55-15         4.0in  11.5in    23.0in         72.3in        876        0.0%
205/40-17         3.2in  11.7in    23.5in         73.7in        860        1.9%
195/45-17         3.5in  12.0in    23.9in         75.1in        844        3.9%
195/40-17         3.1in  11.6in    23.1in         72.7in        872        0.6%

now can you get 195/40/17?

which would leave 215/40/17 as a good choice for teh rear

Tags: