Who wants to buy leather seats

Started by markiii, January 24, 2004, 09:27

Tem

I can see how beer is an appearance mod, especially if consumed in large quantities, but I still think you're going off topic  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

loadswine

Yes Liz,it was the driver's seat back. Glad to see you have got plenty of help on hand, this club is amazing for that, completely the opposite to the world at large---Helpful!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Liz

They will do anything for a beer!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
This club is the dog nuts, don't let anyone else tell you different!  s8) 8) s8)  

Sorry Tem, back on topic, and somehow, somewhere we will salvage enough material for you!!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

I'm surprised, there is nothing magic to get the seats done   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

...just a matter of talent   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

Well oh talented one, I shall ask you this  s:) :) s:)  .In your fitting pictures, picture 8 shows the underside of the seat, at the rear of the seat, have you attached the leather to the metal with rivets, as that is what it looks like?

At the front of the seat, it looks as though you have put a hem in the leather and put in a metal bar which you have used to attach the cable ties to the underside of the seat. The seat covers do not come with any instructions and the cloth ones have a fitted plastic section which just clips to the underside of the seat.

My seat covers do not have the hem like your picture 8 shows, in that case do I need to stitch one before I try to fit them, and by myself a thin metal bar?

Thanks for the help  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

With pleasure   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  :

Quote from: "Liz"Well oh talented one, I shall ask you this  s:) :) s:)  .In your fitting pictures, picture 8 shows the underside of the seat, at the rear of the seat, have you attached the leather to the metal with rivets, as that is what it looks like?

@the back: it's a simple alloy-bar from the "Baumarkt" (don't ask me for the English word   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  .......to match the function of the plastic part from the original covers which fit to the edge.

At the front of the seat, it looks as though you have put a hem in the leather and put in a metal bar which you have used to attach the cable ties to the underside of the seat. The seat covers do not come with any instructions true ! and the cloth ones have a fitted plastic section which just clips to the underside of the seat.

@the front: Blindnieten (sorry-don't know the English word) as the leather covers don't have the plastic section you've mentioned..

My seat covers do not have the hem like your picture 8 shows, in that case do I need to stitch one before I try to fit them, and by myself a thin metal bar?

No - "Blindnieten" to fix the leather cover to the metal frame of the seat.

Thanks for the help  s:) :) s:)

In principle, the explanations describe properly what I have done - the easiest way to get full clarity would be to find someone who can translate the German text....my desycription was used multiple times in the German forum....and worked.....   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ....happy to provide more details (if needed) in my native language   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
sorry   s8) 8) s8)

Liz

Thanks...just wish my German was better....Victor??

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"Thanks...just wish my German was better....Victor??

Victor should be able to help - I think he's also member in the German Forum   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I cant figure out Pic 8 but Spanndraehte would be a tensioner. You can see them quite well on pic 5.

On pic 2 neiten are rivits. It say in effect metal seat shape with holes for the rivits.

Baumarkt = a place where you get DIY stuff, like umm... cant remenber the stores in the UK. I builders suppliers/market. "Do it all" or Homefront or uhmmmm ????

Blindnieten Dont know the english term but translates as Blind rivets

heathstimpson

Quote from: "victor"Baumarkt = a place where you get DIY stuff, like umm... cant remenber the stores in the UK. I builders suppliers/market. "Do it all" or Homefront or uhmmmm ????
B&Q mate
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Liz

Simon worked really really hard on these yesterday and they are now all fitted.  To get them done properly - had to take the plastic off of the bottom of the cloth seats and sew them onto the leather, this took quite a time to do, but the results are lovely.  I also polished and gave the leather a lustre treatment and the colour they have come up is amazing, a lovely deep cherry red.  I am at work at the moment so will post some pictures later. Thanks to all for efforts in trying to get them done at the BBQ though.

Slacey

I'm really pleased you got them sorted Liz, after seeing the covers at the BBQ (lovely quality), I can't wait to see the pics!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

markiii

nice one,  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Well done Simon

loadswine

Glad the seats look great Liz, look forward to seeing the pics.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz".....  To get them done properly - had to take the plastic off of the bottom of the cloth seats and sew them onto the leather, this took quite a time to do, but the results are lovely.  

That's the most appropriate version - but hard work   s8) 8) s8)  , how many needles did you need   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Looking forward for the pictures !

Liz

Two needles and all day  s:? :? s:?  , Simon really took his time on them and the effort I think was worth it. For someone that hasn't any experience of doing anything like this I was well proud of him, and with helping with the member braces too, I should of taken a picture, don't often see Simon crawling under a car

The leather had just been treated in these photo's and it looks well bright, brighter in fact that in real life, the leather also seems to be quite thirsty at the moment.  The stitching on the side panels looks ok as well I think, it matches the stitching on the seats.

Put your sunglasses on and have a look here:

m http://uk.msnusers.com/LizMyers/shoebox ... PhotoID=82 m

4 pictures on there, ready for the   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  's  s:) :) s:)

Slacey

Thay look great now they are on properly!

The colour will sort itself out after a few weeks, mine look really bright when I treat them but settle down to a much darker colour.

Liz

Just looked at those pictures again, the red is so much different in these pictures from reality, I would say in real life they are a deeper cherry red..what you get when you buy a cheapish digital camera I suppose!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Looks good!    s:D :D s:D    How does the 'redness' compare to the pre-03 stock red leather?

Sundance   s8) 8) s8)

Slacey

From memory of last weekend when I saw them in the flesh, they are a little brighter, but nowhere near the 'pinkness' of the '03 onwards.

loadswine

Nice seats Liz, they were well worth the effort.

Anonymous

Liz, compliment, looks very good.

Tags: