10 Inch Sub

Started by dlivingstone_19, February 5, 2009, 22:51

dlivingstone_19

I'm looking at sorting out my sound system.

I'm going to replace the front speakers for upgraded ones and fit a sub in the rear compartment.

I want the sub to have lots of bass but not to cause the horrible plastic vibration sound that usually happens.

Will a 10 inch sub be ok for this? Also want a tidy install so will one fit enabling me to still shut compartment doors?

Cheers

Any pictures of installs please post.
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

VVT-i

With the doors still on you will get the vibration, I think it will be quite difficult to get rid of it completely. 10" subs will fit no problem, I've got 2 behind my seats, although I've done away with the storage and I have 2 amps sitting inside the bins out of site.

I get some plastic vibration, mostly from where the wind deflector mounts.. I might try adding some sort of foam in behind it and see if it helps. It only does it if I turn up the volume/bass.. but under normal conditions it's fine.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

Anonymous

Quote from: "VVT-i"With the doors still on you will get the vibration, I think it will be quite difficult to get rid of it completely. 10" subs will fit no problem, I've got 2 behind my seats, although I've done away with the storage and I have 2 amps sitting inside the bins out of site.

I get some plastic vibration, mostly from where the wind deflector mounts.. I might try adding some sort of foam in behind it and see if it helps. It only does it if I turn up the volume/bass.. but under normal conditions it's fine.

Hi VVT-i,
firstly sorry to dlivingstone_19 for highjacking this thread.

I am new to this forum, and yet to post i have been looking at all the posted generally to get info on the roadster.
i have to say i have had my 2 for 2 years now and im loving ever minute of it,

have you got any pictures of the build of your install im looking at doing something similar, except i am planning 1 12" sub in the middle of the two compartments and splitting the box to have my 6x9's either side.
i would be interested in seeing the box before you put it in the car, and how / where the amps were mounted.

thanks

VVT-i

Unfortunately I don't have pictures, but the "box" is in actual fact a piece of MDF cut and shaped to replace both the cubby hole doors, the plastics inside the cubbyholes have been removed except from the floor (as far as I can remember) and I have 2 Amps behind the subs on the floor, 1 amp powers the subs the other powers the components in the doors. The wiring to the battery goes through the firewall and is neat and tidy in the engine bay.

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

s12vea

So am i right in thinking your using the cubby hole as your enclosure rather than a sealed box?
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

VVT-i

Yes.

Anonymous

if the box is not sealed, how do the subs sound?
surely without the box being airtight, the subs will resonate the mdf?

VVT-i

I'm 40 years old and listening to thump thump music isn't my thing... dude... lol. It actually sounds OK, as I said earlier, there is a little vibration from the surrounding plastics but I never have it loud enough for it to bother me.

s12vea

The cubby hole is prob sealed fairly well and dependent on sub would be prob still produce some nice tight bass?! I going to give it a try and see how well it works? Worse case i will build a box? The thinks we do for bass?! Lol  :-) :-) :-)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Mici

I'm also in a middle of installing either one 10" or one 12" sub in the middle of the rear compartment - thinking I might spare some of the space for some small shoppings etc. Has anyone fitted 12" in the middle? I'm not sure if it is possible at all, as I didn't do my research on this before the car got distmantled in pieces for repair and painting... Right now, I'm thinking a 10" will be enough on it but we have few 12" subs laying around so I was thinking of perhaps using one of those instead of having to buy a new 10 incher. Basically with 12" I'm worried about the space issue when the soft top is folded down (I hope that is the normal position for it  s;) ;) s;)  ). I'll post some story and pics when I get around it. And ofcourse, of the car with all it's glory in new bodykit and paint.  s:) :) s:)

To clarify a bit of my thinking, I have one 8" in small vented box in my Audi TT Roadster and for me that is enough for normal listening. Then again, we have/had MR2 SW20 before Spyder. My GF was getting some 6" or 6½" subwoofers for SW20 and I told her to get something a bit bigger. Next time I saw her, she brought me 2 12" JL Audio subs. Well, I did install those, made sealed boxes behind the seats but for my taste it was way too much for small car like that one, not to mention me being nearly 190cm tall and those boxes didn't really allow seats to be pulled all the way to the back so I had to fold myself several times before getting in to the car and still suffered greatly from klaustrophobia.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I'm hoping to get some sense in this Spyder sub build, one sub with decent box and amp, a good quality 2-way component speakers and our old Pioneer touch screen head unit from the old car.

Mici

Mici

Just ordered 1x 10" sub, amp, and component set yesterday. So now we know what is coming up.  s:) :) s:)  I'll post on progress when I get to that.

Mici

Tags: