3 Inch intake

Started by Star_69, February 11, 2009, 10:56

Star_69

Hi all,

I was looking for some goodies on MWR (your fault Jason   s:D :D s:D  ) and noticed they've just added some mandrel bent AEM intakes for 2zz roadsters in 2.75" and 3" diameters.  m http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/pro ... ts_id=1033 m

Since I'm using the standard 1zz intake at the moment I was wondering if anyone knew if there would be any gains by increasing the diameter, especially to 3"? I'm aware it would lean it right out and would require a retune but wasnt sure if there would be an increase or whether its to stop the MAF from maxing out at high boost.

They look pretty nice, as it puts it right next to the nearside intake behind the battery, like the PPE. I assume the TB is in the same position as NA 2zzs but will have to check.

Please dont shoot me for just an 'obvious' question. I tried searching both here, SC and NC but 3" just shows as 3 on the searches and doesnt come up with much.
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

muffdan

Quote from: "Star_69"I was looking for some goodies on MWR (your fault Jason  s:D :D s:D  )

Sorry Brad  s:) :) s:)
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

custardavenger

I doubt it would be worth it as when you get to the Throttle Body you'll be down to 55mm dia (-shaft thickness 10mm), Even with one of my TB's your still gonna be a long way from 76mm. In my opinion 2.5" or 64mm would be best as stock MAF is very close to that and the only time I would suggest more would be if you were running seperate TB's or a different manifold and TB.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

muffdan

Let me help you with your 2ZZ shopping list  s:) :) s:)

http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/extra_info_pages.php?pages_id=5

666 bhp   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Star_69

Quote from: "custardavenger"I doubt it would be worth it as when you get to the Throttle Body you'll be down to 55mm dia (-shaft thickness 10mm), Even with one of my TB's your still gonna be a long way from 76mm. In my opinion 2.5" or 64mm would be best as stock MAF is very close to that and the only time I would suggest more would be if you were running seperate TB's or a different manifold and TB.

Thanks for the reply. I see what you mean, not much point. It would be like flanging a bog roll to a straw  s:) :) s:)  I just got a PM from a guy on NC who has a 3" on his celica. Reason he said he had one was the stock maf maxes out at about 10psi on his turbo'd 2zz and it was a better alternative to getting a subaru MAF. Since I'm never going to be running that much boost, its irrelevant. Just looked, MWR dont do them on a 2.5, so I might have to go for the 2.75, which is the standard size for a 2zz anyway. The PPE apparently wont fit   s:( :( s:(   By the time it arrives I should have a wideband and new exhaust so hopefully wont have to correct it too much as its rich as hell at the moment anyway.

Quote from: "muffdan"Let me help you with your 2ZZ shopping list  s:) :) s:)

Looks nice, although I reckon you'd have difficulty driving from one petrol station to the other without running out! Only thing missing from that spec would be a racelogic digital adjuster  s:) :) s:)  Those built stroker kits for the 2zz look pretty sweet if you facing a rebuild. Extra 10-20% across the board, but they dont seem that popular on the boards for some reason.
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

custardavenger

Ooops. Didn't realise you have a 2zz. Not sure what size the TB is on them as I've never seen one but I would guess it's no bugger than 60mm. I would go for the 2.75 myself seeing as your supercharged I think that would work well.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tags: