Hotseat anti-carjacking Device

Started by kanujunkie, February 21, 2004, 12:50

kanujunkie

Hi all,
this is just a feeler to see what people think of this device before perhaps doing a group buy. I've seen one of these in action and it makes a highly efficient imobiliser system as well as protection from someone nicking your car, whilst your in it. The system is activated when your bum leaves the seat and a timer starts running for a set amount of time before killing the fuel to the engine.

This may sound silly, but last week 2 cars were stolen at traffic lights in Sheffield, so it does happen.

so with that, whats your thoughts  s:?: :?: s:?:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

how much r they?

Anonymous

why not just press the "lock doors" button when you get in the car? IIRC this can also be turned on to lock the doors when you start the engine by the dealer.

aaronjb

There was some discussion on these on, I think, the IMOC list recently.. I can't remember the final outcome - but it was definitely mooted around that they may very well be illegal in this country, something about devices that stop a vehicle in an unrequested manner.

On top of that - if the car stops 200yds away, you'd best be very good at running quickly in the opposite direction - just in case the scum in question is either a) very pissed with you and wants revenge, or b) armed..

Hate to say it, but I think I'd rather let them get away with it and claim off the insurance..

Or get a decent tracker system that's linked to the police - at least then it's the police who are likely to be confronting the guy instead of you. If they have to, uhm, subdue him, they won't get prosecuted for GBH and/or sued by the scum in question..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Or get a decent tracker system that's linked to the police - at least then it's the police who are likely to be confronting the guy instead of you. If they have to, uhm, subdue him, they won't get prosecuted for GBH and/or sued by the scum in question..

And hope the scum don't just drive it into a container/refrigerated artic.

aaronjb

True.. but at least you're still alive - if they really liked your car, and it stopped on them 100 yds away.. I'd be worried what they'd be likely to do to me.

Afterall, it's only metal - metal can be replaced, as they say.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"True.. but at least you're still alive - if they really liked your car, and it stopped on them 100 yds away.. I'd be worried what they'd be likely to do to me.

I don't disagree with that  s:) :) s:)   Just wonder if there's much point with a tracker.

aaronjb

Quote from: "phil4"I don't disagree with that  s:) :) s:)   Just wonder if there's much point with a tracker.

You're probably right - that's part of the reason I've never bothered with one.. Especially given the last 'demonstration' I saw on TV - the crew without the tracer receiver found the cars before the crew with one! Although of course, they wouldn't have known it was gone without the tracker going of (nor known 'roughly' where to start looking).

I doubt our cars (nice though we think they are  s:D :D s:D  ) are going to be targets for the kind of thieves who will be stealing them and putting them into containers though - those are usually the 'steal to order' kinds of cars, Ferrari's, Porkers, Mercs and the like, that all disappear off to the eastern block..

(Checks outside window)
Yep, still there.. phew!  s:) :) s:)

I might have considered a tracker on my other car, though, as it was a bit more esoteric.. Even then, though, unlikely to be a target of theft to order like it's bigger sibling the GTR.

Then again, if they could manage to start it right now, they'd be doing better than me!  s:D :D s:D

Liz

Quote from: "phil4"I don't disagree with that  s:) :) s:)   Just wonder if there's much point with a tracker.

Tracker is good, one we had the other day after a car was stolen following a burglary overnight,  left the keys in the jacket pocket in the porch job   s:x :x s:x  

10 mins later (honest!) after it was activated by the owners when they discovered it had been nicked we had a call from the Metropolitan police saying that they had found it in one bit, can't get much better than that really. It was an X5, they seem to be quite popular to steal at the moment.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

kanujunkie

right the normal cost is £150 plus vat, but i can get them for £115 plus vat but the reduced price can only be done with 10 buys.
Someone mentioned that they could be illegal. In answer to that, no they are not, but because they are american built, they do not conform to British thatcham ratings and so cannot be used to get a reduction in the price of insurance. They can only be used as an extra bit of protection to protect you baby
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"why not just press the "lock doors" button when you get in the car? IIRC this can also be turned on to lock the doors when you start the engine by the dealer.

ever heard of a baseball bat thru the window or someone pointing something nasty at you. I'd prefer to give them the car and then hide, whilst they drive a mile up the road and then come to an amazing stop as if on call.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"why not just press the "lock doors" button when you get in the car?

And when you have the top down???

Didn't know about the automatic door locks though. I would have thought that Toyota would have mentioned this as a selling feature.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "krisclarkuk"why not just press the "lock doors" button when you get in the car?

And when you have the top down???

Didn't know about the automatic door locks though. I would have thought that Toyota would have mentioned this as a selling feature.

It's in the hand-book alarm suplement.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"The system is activated when your bum leaves the seat and a timer starts running for a set amount of time before killing the fuel to the engine.

I realised this morning as I left the engine running to scrape ice off the car, that through the winter, this might be a bit of an inconvenient feature.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"why not just press the "lock doors" button when you get in the car? IIRC this can also be turned on to lock the doors when you start the engine by the dealer.

The Leon locks at 10mph; it's a bit scary until you get used to it - like being sat in the back of a black cab, as the doors go "clunk"!

Anonymous

Have any of you guys considered the Clifford Black Jax as it sounds very similar and I believe they are legal in this country (if the other things aren't).

I have read a report of a guy that had his Evo VI (or VII) nicked and it was found only 10 mins away unhurt but immobilised due to the Black Jax that was fitted.

Just a thought   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"And when you have the top down???

Thats what the pedal on the right is for - to make you drive away!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"
Quote from: "aaronjb"Or get a decent tracker system that's linked to the police

And hope the scum don't just drive it into a container/refrigerated artic.

I'd heard that it's common practice for them to drive it a "safe" distance (relatively close, but 'far-enough' away), park it up, and leave it a few days. If it's still there, then the thieving scum can return in safety to properly remove it, safe in the knowledge that it's not Tracker'ed.

LeeUK

Trackers are a very good idea, they just cost alot of dosh, but then so does the car, sound system, engine mods........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I'll be getting a tracker and an alarm you can hear!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

the blackjack system is very good had a chance to see one in action.it also takes 10% off your insurance if im not mistaken and is cheaper than the trackers.

Anonymous

Blackjack = RUBBISH
Hotseat = RUBBISH

i once installed one on a M3 about 7-8 months ago and to install is a very complex operation as you have to splice into the ECU to cut fuel and cut ABS in !

Also the actuall alarm unit it'sself is no better than a normall alarm costing £50 and the imobilisers is just a standard CAT2 ! not even cat 1

So overall from the spec and fitting time it's not sound good!

So then was the testing and like it says once you bum has left the seat and yeah it cuts the fuel and thats it !!!! no fuel no power to the braking system and power steering ! not good as if it's stolen they are hardly going to stay in the speed limits !

So hot seat was deamed as not good so the customer came back wand wanited blackJAX !!!!!!!!!!!

I hate clifford anyway so i tryed to pursway him but customers aways right   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   So i installed the blax Jack much the same as Hotseat but not fuel spliceing and more on the braking system so testing showed that it would just applie the brakes at what ever speed it was going and if it was going round a corner didnt matter ending up in the result of crashing the car ! not good

My advice is save up and by TRACKER and then upgrade to tracker retreve ! they will contact you that the car has been stolen before you know the car has gone in most case's

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"

Yep. Mines done that since new. Providing the door is closed when you turn the key, otherwise it remains unlocked.

Anonymous

The tracker is excellent.  A friend has one in his Impreza; once he broke down and his car was taken by his roadside assistance.  

Literally, 5 minutes later he received a call from RAC telling him that his vehicle was on the move without him in it!!!

MRMike

The tracker retrieve is an excellent bit of kit.  Whenever my old mans Skyline goes for a service, tracker are on the phone ten minutes later saying the car is moving, do we know about it.  Can't ask for much more than that
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Tags: