Newbie saying hello and tire question

Started by Anonymous, February 26, 2004, 16:39

Anonymous

Hello everyone! I just bought a 2003 Silver SMT. I have been learning alot about my 2 from reading all of your posts. I was wondering if anyone knows if 8,5X17 will fit on the 2. I found an excellent deal on four Poster rims (155 euros for the set) and will buy them for the 2 if they will fit. I know that this effect the handling some but they look sooo good. What do you think?

Anonymous

I'd say 8.5" is bit on the wide side, especially on the front - you'd be better off with nearer 7" I reckon.

Anonymous

yeah, thats what I was thinking but I figured I would shoot it out to the experts

Anonymous

Hello, good evening & welcome...(sorry went into David Frost there for a minute).

No, don't think 8.5 will fit.

Liz

Hi and welcome along, don't ask me about tyres though!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

SteveJ

Personally I don't think 8.5" rims will fit without fouling the bodywork - especially on the front. The other issue to consider is the offset will almost certainly be wrong, so the wheel will either protrude beyond the wheelarch or, worse still, will rub against the inside. At the same the loading on the wheel-bearings will be outside spec, and they will fail prematurely.

All-in-all I would say stick with the OEM wheels - at least with having an '03 you have the 16" rears to balance the look of the car, and as a lot of people are finding, 17" wheels have a serious detrimental effect on the acceleration.

Slacey

Take note of Steve's comments... I have a set of 17's and they ARE the wrong offset and they DO take chunks out of the arches (just the plastic liner so far thankfully) and they are 7" rims.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

here you go.a car with 8.5" wheels on.
http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5306

Anonymous

I think they look daft   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

if you want to see want 17" by 7" look like have a look here.
http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1010
its the silver one but ignore the attenna on the back as its no longer there.
i tried to find a picture of slaceys as they look awesome on a black car but i couldnt find one.

Anonymous

heathstimpson

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I think they look daft   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
I agree; they just don't look right at all  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I think they look daft   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Me too... but each to their own.

Slacey

With the trouble I have, he must be ripping tyres and arches to shreds  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

markiii

I seem to remember he said on SC that he had to remove them.

must drive like a tank though
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

*cough* This is the Performance forum: 17s, nevermind 8.5s, will only do negative and horrible things to performance in all aspects - try the Appearance forum for more constructive comments  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s:) :) s:)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

SteveJ

<mod> Thread moved to appearance</mod>

Anonymous

Those 8.5*17's are plain silly.  Slacey's look cool though, IMO, pity about the wheelarch liner issues.  

Andy

Slacey

Quote from: "Andy S"Those 8.5*17's are plain silly.  Slacey's look cool though, IMO, pity about the wheelarch liner issues.
Thanks! They only rub as they are the wrong offset though, Jonboy is running 17's (correct offset) and has no issues.

Anonymous

The tyres on those 8.5 wheels are all kinds of wrong!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Like he says, they should be 235s, but this would put the tread outside the wheel arch.. so went for ill-fitting 215s instead?! Hmmmm. I wouldn't like to test that out at speed... why not go for 7" wheels in the first place.   s:? :? s:?  

Tim

Anonymous

If you have the offset info as well check out http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

Tags: