Corkys like breastplate

Started by FuZZy_gr, January 1, 2010, 09:22

markiii

I'd be intrigued to see an estimate cost for teh spec you listed Chris as so far 12mm thick plate is looking rather expensive,

do you reckon these would match or better teh usual price of a corky plate?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

ad_car_08

Quote from: "ChrisGB":roll: Lazy cad designer. The information box shows dimensions in "inches (mm)" but the cad designer has neglected to tie up the units. Much of the other stuff in the box is irrelevant too. Why do cad guys do this so often. No wonder stuff is so expensive. Also, 619 x 280 inches is 15.722 x 7.112 Meters, which will foul the wheels and passing traffic and make parking tricky. Actual blank size is 619 x 280mm. No material thickness is specified either, but we do know it should have a maximum surface roughness of 250 Ra.

For anyone not finding that tying up these basics is not obvious, I would suggest that making bits for the car is not what they should be doing.

If I had enough time, or interested parties, I could get some ally ones made up.

Chris

Alright, alright, no need to get all moral and upity...so I made a slight mistake with the conversion of measurements..  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Thanks for the clarification non-the-less
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

uktotty

that CAD picure just shows where to drill the holes not how to make the brace

loadswine

I think the LM Corse plate was 6mm sheet type design, here is a pic of my original one that was fitted to my first Roadster, next to the stock items.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

having owned both an original MR2 Spyder one, owned a corkies, and experience both teh lm corsa and cusco versions I'd lean towards the corkies every time

I'm relatively sure that flat 12mm plate as described by chris would be similar in result to teh corkies though obviously I have no empirecal evidence

the problem is whether you can make something as effective as corkies for teh price you can buy a corkies
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

FuZZy_gr

Quote from: "ad_car_08"FuZZy_gr - how much angle metal did you use to make this? My brother is quite handy with a welder, and has 3mm thick metal lying about his garage that he said he'd happily donate, but I fear it'll be way too thin to be able give any kind of rigidity as a brace, so am looking at how much materials would cost!

The materials cost me about 18pounds and i used the angle because the flat metal sheet has more streching than the angled one. Thats why corky uses the angles in the center just to reduce the twist of the brace. I just added angle to the perimeter too to make it even more rigid.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "markiii"I'd be intrigued to see an estimate cost for the spec you listed Chris as so far 12mm thick plate is looking rather expensive,

do you reckon these would match or better the usual price of a corky plate?

If I can get Autocad R14 working in Vista, I will rustle up a drawing and get it quoted next week.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

ad_car_08

Quote from: "FuZZy_gr"
Quote from: "ad_car_08"FuZZy_gr - how much angle metal did you use to make this? My brother is quite handy with a welder, and has 3mm thick metal lying about his garage that he said he'd happily donate, but I fear it'll be way too thin to be able give any kind of rigidity as a brace, so am looking at how much materials would cost!

The materials cost me about 18pounds and i used the angle because the flat metal sheet has more streching than the angled one. Thats why corky uses the angles in the center just to reduce the twist of the brace. I just added angle to the perimeter too to make it even more rigid.

but how much angle did you use? length?
[/size]

FuZZy_gr

It is 90 degrees angle and it was 6 meter long before i cut it to pieces. It is not exactly a usual angle. Its one side has 6cm width and its other side has the half width(3cm).

ad_car_08

Brilliant, thanks fuzzy!
[/size]

dj2k21

I for one would be very interesting in buying one of these braces in ali if they are made.
and people on this site seem to be talking about corkey braces as though everywhere sells them and they are very easy to obtain, I cant find one anywhere lol, can someone point me in the right direction to get hold of a corkey's? thats the only suspension mod I feel I am missing now.

thank you  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

nathanMR2

I too am after a Corkys, so if something simular is made and tried and tested, then im sure a few people would be up for them on here.

2nd hand Corkys do come up from time to time but they are usually snapped up pretty quick.

If its a Corkys you want your best trying SpyderChat, you more likely to get one on there, just depends on how much you want to fork out
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

FuZZy_gr

Can someone tell me what is the weight of the corkys?

ChrisGB

Quote from: "FuZZy_gr"Can someone tell me what is the weight of the corkys?

Cannot tell you the weight, but it is light enough to make no perceptible difference to the cars accelleratio.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Mad Matt

I could be interested in this too. I've got a rollover bar, which may help stiffness to an extent, but from what I've read here this kind of thing would make a nice improvement.

uktotty

Rollover bar? Are you sure or do you have a style bar?
Style bar will add no rigidity to the chassis, the proper roll bars may however but I dont know anyone who has one in the UK

Mad Matt

I would imagine it's a style bar, but it came with the car so I can't be sure what its for. It's chrome finished but quite thick (which is annoying for looking out the rear) and it seems pretty sturdy but hollow.

Looking around, I think it's this one  m http://www.tte.de/popup/TTE/cm_mr2_rollbar.htm m

I'm not claiming it does stiffen things up, it just occurred to me that it might given that it's lateral strength should be reasonable.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisGB":roll: Lazy cad designer. The information box shows dimensions in "inches (mm)" but the cad designer has neglected to tie up the units. Much of the other stuff in the box is irrelevant too. Why do cad guys do this so often. No wonder stuff is so expensive. Also, 619 x 280 inches is 15.722 x 7.112 Meters, which will foul the wheels and passing traffic and make parking tricky. Actual blank size is 619 x 280mm. No material thickness is specified either, but we do know it should have a maximum surface roughness of 250 Ra.

For anyone not finding that tying up these basics is not obvious, I would suggest that making bits for the car is not what they should be doing.

If I had enough time, or interested parties, I could get some ally ones made up.

Chris

Umm. Step of the soapbox sir.

Actually I drew that drawing a while back. The reason it is messy is that my CAD pdf macro (automatic, one button) lobs on my standard drawing border (inch primary units) unless I tell it otherwise and getting this up was a quickie for the forum; I did not post up my own final drawings - that is simply giving too much away....

As for not making bits for cars - you are correct; my company actually works on a load of high pressure containing critical products and is highly paid for its expertise..... for good reason : accuracy and speed. If you use oil based products, then these have likely come through equipment with my company engineering in there. If you heard of the bad weather shut down in Norway that threatened our gas supplies over this cold snap then know that my company designed the flexible pressure piping on the well completion system in that massive gas field.

nathanMR2

Im looking at getting a Corkys 'like' breastplate made (im just speaking with a few contacts). It wouldnt be bits welded together, it would be complete. I need to work out pricing, but im looking to guage some interest.

Would anyone else be up for buying them if i can get it sorted for less than a Corkys shipped?

FuZZy_gr

I would like to see a complete plate but welded parts are the same as the complete one in strength except that the welded parts need more work to become so good looking as the complete.

nathanMR2

Ive start a GB thread.

Im no expert but im guessing that this plate will be under continous flex and stain. I would have thought no matter how good the weld is it likely to crack at some point with the pressure its under.

Ill see what prices i can come up with

ChrisGB

Quote from: "sjspitz"

Chris

Umm. Step of the soapbox sir.

Actually I drew that drawing a while back. The reason it is messy is that my CAD pdf macro (automatic, one button) lobs on my standard drawing border (inch primary units) unless I tell it otherwise and getting this up was a quickie for the forum; I did not post up my own final drawings - that is simply giving too much away....

Hehe, sorry, did not realise this was a draft. My quality management background mean that I have seen so many under or over priced, under or over specced, mis quoted or rejected parts due to someone injecting a draft into the system on a "standard" border and box that it just sends me off on one  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I have even seen expensive bits made in mm that should have been in inches and vice versa. And the cost of those was nothing compared to NASAs loss a few years ago for a similar error.

Quote from: "sjspitz"As for not making bits for cars - you are correct; my company actually works on a load of high pressure containing critical products and is highly paid for its expertise..... for good reason : accuracy and speed. If you use oil based products, then these have likely come through equipment with my company engineering in there. If you heard of the bad weather shut down in Norway that threatened our gas supplies over this cold snap then know that my company designed the flexible pressure piping on the well completion system in that massive gas field.

Again, sorry. The design is obviously well considered and you clearly understand the stresses the brace will be under and it is IMO very nicely drawn. I have no doubt that you would make this sort of thing without any problem. What I was getting at is that if someone where going to use your drawing to make the brace who did not easily figure out the dimension box discrepancy, they would probably not be suitably qualified to make something for the car where safety could be an issue.

Structure wise, comparison between a solid 12mm piece vs a welded angle reinforced 6mm piece will be interesting. I am sort of swamped at the moment, but am generating something for pricing purposes. I would value your opinion on it when I have draw it.

Chris

Anonymous

No worries Chris... I did think about what you were saying about people using the drawing as provided and it ending up costing someone money in mistakes so I have updated my drawing to the latest version and I also combined all 3 pages of the drawing so all the info is there.

I am perfectly happy to update this drawing as appropriate for the community and to keep it published on my box.net account at http://www.box.net/shared/0jzj10g4ej so it we work together we can end up with a design that everyone is happy with and which is 'makeable' that perhaps someone can source.

To reiterate my points elsewhere in the board, this part as I have shown it fits my X-plate roadster perfectly. The only problem with the design as shown: the three holes used to fit the Toyota pipe clips into are actually odd shapes (two are rectangular and one is oval); this is fine for thin plate that can be pressed and where the pipe clips can stick through the plate. With the thicker plate I used, the clips cannot stick through and the holes cannot be so easily formed.

When I get some time I will run a comparative FEA between the part as shown with one made simply from thicker plate perforated with holes in certain places for lightness i.e. one not requiring welding. I have been wondering if a solid slab of 10mm thick GRP would be a superior solution but again, have not had time to get into it in any detail - other than - it will cost a shit load more in GRP.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "sjspitz"To reiterate my points elsewhere in the board, this part as I have shown it fits my X-plate roadster perfectly. The only problem with the design as shown: the three holes used to fit the Toyota pipe clips into are actually odd shapes (two are rectangular and one is oval); this is fine for thin plate that can be pressed and where the pipe clips can stick through the plate. With the thicker plate I used, the clips cannot stick through and the holes cannot be so easily formed.

I was going to have the plates waterjet cut, so the hole shapes are easy, then mill out the areas for the clips and the countersinks for the floorpan bolts.

Quote from: "sjspitz"When I get some time I will run a comparative FEA between the part as shown with one made simply from thicker plate perforated with holes in certain places for lightness i.e. one not requiring welding. I have been wondering if a solid slab of 10mm thick GRP would be a superior solution but again, have not had time to get into it in any detail - other than - it will cost a s**t load more in GRP.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I was thinking about some 10mm GRP maybe a Tufnol. Also have access to some 6mm Carbon Fibre plate that would look sexy. But Ally seems to offer the best practical option.

Chris

Paulm

How much is one of corkys plates,  I can get a piece of 6mm steel sheet drilled with the location holes with the cut outs in and the angle welded on myself, with the plasma and tig.
Not sure how neat the plasma cuts would be, but it'd certainly do what its meant to £90 plus shipping ?

Might find out how much for an Ali one
Performance:  4.2ltr V8 380hp conversion - DTA S80 ECU- DTA S80 EMS - Ferrari F360 exhaust - de-Cat\'d
Handling : Brace bars front & rear - EBC Drilled and Grooved - 205/225/40/17 - ETA Beta Alnir\'s- 2\'s rUS drop links - Ultimate breastplate
Future uprades - Supercharger- Ultimate floorpan brace and front brace - 355mm discs - Widebody kit

Tags: