Tyre wear

Started by MR 2ster, January 4, 2010, 13:21

MR 2ster

With the MR2 being the first RWD car i've owned im curious about tyre wear...recently my missus spun the MR2 on ice and upon inspection with rear tyres were completely bald and although I don't believe them to be a huge factor in the ice slip I am to say quite shocked at how quickly they have worn!

We put fresh rubber on 6months ago and maybe put 4000 miles on, the tyres are Kuhom Ecsta sports, the same tyres I have had on my Celica for over 15months and been on track and still have plenty of tread left.

So im curious how long do rear tyres usually last on the MR2's? The fronts still have loads of tread!!

Its ot like I've been doing donuts and burnouts, just normal driving, maybe putting my foot down on a few corners but nothing extreme!

Ah well got new rubber on now and went for Firestone TZ200 this time!

Anonymous

Was the wear across the whole of the tyre or on an edge.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "MR 2ster"... spun the MR2 on ice ... the tyres are Kuhom Ecsta sports... rear tyres were completely bald .... don't believe them to be a huge factor in the ice slip

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

MR 2ster

Yes accross the whole tyre...maybe not completely bald but under the legal minimum! It was very slightly more worn on the outer edge!

And the ice slip was driving at 45mph on a straight dual carriage way....the ice was a large sheet, rear end started to go corrected and slid the other way, by time they dug into the tarmac it sent the car into a 360  s:( :( s:(  

Ice is ice, no way to control it, balded or not!!!

Thudd

My Car has MrT spec RE040's on it, 6k /15 months into ownership they hardly look worn.

Have you been dialling in 7k and sidestepping the clutch? Has she?

Anonymous

Quote from: "MR 2ster"With the MR2 being the first RWD car i've owned...

We put fresh rubber on 6months ago and maybe put 4000 miles on, the tyres are Kuhom Ecsta sports...

Ah well got new rubber on now and went for Firestone TZ200 this time...
Please tell me you had Ecsta all round and now you've got the TZ200 all round at least? Don't mix tyres front and rear on the MR2 (or any car for that matter), it's asking for trouble. Get them sorted ASAP and the worry about tyre wear, which I will admit does sound really high and I can't account for.

SimonC_Here

Maybe some tracking issues. You could get it checked.

And good luck with the part worn Kuhom Ecsta sports on the front and Firestone TZ200 on the back if that's what you've got now.

As to wear, toyo T1s (ts1 I can never remember) have lasted me ~9k including a track day.

[edit] ah beaten by Dan[/edit]

Anonymous

Too slow amigo  s;) ;) s;)

mrzwei

Borrowing this straight from an old Haynes manual, overinflation will cause rapid wear of the centre part of the tyre tread. Underinflation, incorrect wheel camber, and / or hard cornering will cause shoulder wear.
To state the obvious, make sure the pressures are right if only to eliminate this as a variable.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

enid_b

Quote from: "mrzwei"Borrowing this straight from an old Haynes manual, overinflation will cause rapid wear of the centre part of the tyre tread. Underinflation, incorrect wheel camber, and / or hard cornering will cause shoulder wear.
To state the obvious, make sure the pressures are right if only to eliminate this as a variable.

sounds like you need to inflate the inner half of the wheel to balance it out  s:) :) s:)
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

mrzwei

Yeah, the brain cell starts to hurt after a while   s:) :) s:)
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: