My MR2 SP turbo thread! **Pics added **

Started by stargazer30, April 23, 2010, 10:41

stargazer30

Hey Guys,

The turbo's getting mapped today and I'm picking it up from Matt/SP performance tomorrow.  Can't wait   s:D :D s:D  

I also got TTE lowering springs on it as part of the conversion.  Will post up more once I get it back, have a 5 hour drive in front of me today!

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Mad Matt

Sounds exciting.... looking forward to hearing how you get on. 200 or 240?

Ilogik

Enjoy the drive, dont enjoy it too much :p
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

SimonC_Here

Definately take care!

but do enjoy it in this wonderful weather!

lemans

Have fun!

Enjoy  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

davidarden

Bonus! Looking forward to hearing your views.
2003 | Silver | TTE Springs | Twin H&S | No Precats | Toyo T1-R\'s | Red Calipers | De-badged | Pioneer DEH-50UB

loadswine

I'm sure you will love it. The bonus is the install itself, its so neat and looks like its supposed to be there. I saw Daryl's car
( LeMans) last week and it was absolutely superb.  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

stargazer30

Got a call from Matt yesterday - its been mapped! - results 201bhp and 180lbs/ft.     So its made exactly what it was supposed to.   s:D :D s:D   Will be picking it up lunch time today, then have a 4 hour drive home.  I'll have to go easy since it'll be full of spare car parts.

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D   big kid grin....  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

uktotty

So you have your car down south but you are NOT coming on the Southern Softies Run?  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

stargazer30

Quote from: "uktotty"So you have your car down south but you are NOT coming on the Southern Softies Run?  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

I'd left my better half dealing with the "zoo" ie our three young kids so not likely!  She's already let me spend a small fortune on the car so didn't want to push my luck!

stargazer30

Okay first impressions.

I need to drive the car more as so far its just been on a long motorway haul but..

The turbo has well and truely fixed my loud cobra exhaust.  The 3000rpm drone/boom is gone!  It sounds excellent now.

It doesn't feel like your classic turbo'd car at all.  The mapping is silky smooth and the torque curve flat so theres no shove in the back when it comes on boost, no lag when putting the power down, nothing, totally linear.   It drives like a large CC NA engine.  that is until you take your foot off the throttle and its goes WOOOOOOSHHHHH!!!  The blow off valve of whatever its called is very noticable but I like that   s:D :D s:D  

Performance wise, I need to drive it more.  In 6th gear on the motorway the increased torque is real obvious, it just pulls, even with light throttle.  Before the conversion I'd have needed to drop to 4th and floor it to get anything near it.   In the lower gears I couldn't really test it much yet.  Watch this space.

The sports clutch feels like a normal clutch!  Except it bites lower, I did a learner style kangeroo pull away when I first got back in it lol.  Not heavy to use though even when stuck in traffic queues on and off the clutch all the time.

The lowering springs are excellent, ride is not compromised, looks 100% better and feels really planted on the corners.

Fuel economy seems to be about the same.  I got home (220miles) on 1/2 a tank just like on the run down without the turbo.

So far I'm a happy chappy   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

JudoKilli

Great little quick review, looking forward to reading a more long-term review of the turbo! How much did it cost to get everything done if you don't mind me asking?

lemans

Hi Stargazer30

Welcome to the SP Turbo "club"

I am glad your first impressions are good and you sound like you already love your turbo'd MR2.  I've had my kit on since January and I still get a buzz every time I drive. You have already experienced the transformation in motorway driving (one of my main disappointments with my car when it was N/a). Cruising at normal motorway speeds is now much more relaxed and overtaking/moving out of the way of "fast lane" nutters is much easier.

One other thing I love is the torque and the thrust you get in 3rd and 4th gears when out in the twisties. The n/a is great on the twistie A and B roads but the turbo makes it sooooo  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:   much better.

I have found the same as you with the fuel consumption.  My average has actually creeped up slightly by a mile or 2 per gallon. On a run down to Bristol for the Auto Italia today my tank full gave nearly 40mpg! I was mostly cruising at sensible motorway speed with occassional 50mph stretches for roadworks on the M4.

I am interested in your impression of the lowering springs - this may be my next upgrade along with some "mild" bracing.

All in all I am very impressed with the kit and have no regrets at all.

Have fun
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

stargazer30

Okay guys a few days drving in now so I can post up a better review of the kit.

I think the best way to describe this 200bhp kit is quick but not really scary quick.  Theres no restrictions on the map so the same torque is applied to all gears as I understand it.  1st gear is superb, like a rocket its off but on decent dry roads its won't spin the wheels up.  2nd and 3rd are quick, but compared to the mapped focus ST I used to drive don't feel as quick.  I say "feel" as this could be butt dyno effect as the car is mid engined and the mapping is so smooth.  My old car with the map gave a solid kick in the back as the turbo kicked in but ran out of puff up the rev range.  So it "felt" fast but on corners or anything other than a straight dry road full throttle was a big no in 2nd/3rd.  This SP kit doesn't do this, the torque is totally even right upto the redline.  

Previous discussions have said that for the type of driving the MR2 is built for maybe a 2ZZ or V6 is the better option as the power delivery is smoother.  I can honestly say I can't see it being much smoother than this kit.  But Admitedly I haven't driven a 2ZZ or V6   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    It would be inetresting to get a go in one or a 240bhp turbo 2 to compare with for sure.

Through gears 4th to 6th on the motorways, its a joy, the car just pulls (even in 6th).  Easy as good as the old ST!   This plus the damping effect the turbo has on the exhaust means motorways are easy/lazy and not deafening anymore lol  Not that whats the 2 is built for but its a nice bonus.

Looking at the engine bay the installs neat and tidy, a real credit to Matt's workmanship   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:   Theres actually alot more space since its minus a big fat precat header (which weighs a fair bit BTW), fat stock exhaust (which weighs a ton) and air box.  Instead theres a cast manifold and small turbo sitting under it, a cone filter and fairly decent bit of my drive visible   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  .  The cone air filter sits snuggly behind the passenger side tail light next to the intake air stream.  Having had cones on NA cars in the past I was expecting the usual loud intake roar but it seems the turbo does away with that too.  You can hear the whoosh of air pressurising the system when you put the power down but its not loud at all. The only loud component in the entire system is the dump valve.  Caveat here is I still have the standard CAT, the 240 kit has a sports cat so maybe this makes it a bit louder?

Anyway thats it for now I will get the dyno chart scanned and up on here soon.

The only negative comment I can think of would be the price, but hey you only get what you pay for and I have no regrets now I've driven it.  If it were £1000 cheaper I recon Matt would be hiring staff to cope with the demand!

Anonymous

Nice writeup  s:) :) s:)

We too all found that adding a turbo did away with all the good intake noises, but then you get different ones instead so it was all good in the end.

Gif

My bank manager just screamed "no" from my left shoulder but the little devil on my right shoulder just kicked his butt   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So sit someone in the front seat and 0-60 it when you get chance please as I need to know the saving   s:D :D s:D
Audi TT 200 Tfsi Roadster, Ibis White, Steptronic, Bose, Nav, Climate, Telcon, Nappa Leather
Ex BMW Z4 sDrive30i Auto, Titan Silver
Ex MR2 Roadster, Sahara Sun, Black Leather, Air Con, TTE exhaust

stargazer30

Quote from: "Gif"My bank manager just screamed "no" from my left shoulder but the little devil on my right shoulder just kicked his butt   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So sit someone in the front seat and 0-60 it when you get chance please as I need to know the saving   s:D :D s:D

5.9 secs on my kit, 240bhp kit is 4.9 secs.  That's according to the web site I didn't try it (yet   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  )

Captain Vimes

I'm pleased your happy with the result, a good write up. It is quite pricey but you've now got something very unique - a useable, light weight mid engined sports car that also has a decent amount of torque for day to day motorway use. I can't think of another car that ticks all of those box's.

The 200bhp should be enough to surprise quite a few cars on the road (or track), there's certainly something very satisfying driving a car that people don't expect to go as well as yours now does.

As was said in the last thread, 200bhp is enough to make it quick but still fun, more may start to dominate the experience.

I did smirk at your suggestion of 'trying the 240bhp version'... It's the natural reaction for anyone with a turbo - maybe just a bit more boost would be good?....

stargazer30

Dyno chart...

stargazer30

Pics of Matt's handy work.

manifold with turbo underneath

intake

cone just behind the rear light

intake after the intercooler top of pic

attempt at a close up of the turbo not very good   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

loadswine

That's a very nice and useable torque curve. Very neat install.   s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

s12vea

Could almost be factory fit !
Very Tidy - Hope your enjoying driving your new toy   s8) 8) s8)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

E

OMG. call the police Mate, not only have they charged you for a turbo that you can quite clearly see from the pictures they have not fitted but they have nicked your airbox. Seriously that is a tidy job you wouldnt know its there.   s8) 8) s8)

stargazer30

I'm at it again!  Just got a suprise payment from work for overpaid tax   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    So I'm going 240bhp end of June...  Watch this space...

muffdan

lol, knew it wouldn't take long  s:) :) s:)  There's a world of difference between the 200 and 240 btw.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Tags: