Washed, Clayed and Polished the MR2

Started by oli3107, May 30, 2010, 21:27

oli3107

Washed, clayed and polished the MR2 today, looks really good.

Look at the houses reflection :O :

Going inside:

The shiny SMT gearbox  s:) :) s:)

Feels so smooth after the clay

Kool PT

That's stunning
PT\'s Cruiser: Black 2000 MR2 Roadster V6

3.0L 1MZ-FE V6, Ferrari 355 exhaust, Cusco FSTB, Tein S.Tech springs.

Anonymous

Polished or waxed? If you only polished then you need to wax asap as you're down to the bare paint with zero protection!

Looking at the pics though I'm guessing you meant waxed rather than polished though  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Looks great! Tell us your method and materials used?

oli3107

No mate I did this:
Filled a bucket with lukewarm water and acid rain neutralizing car shampoo, with sponge (i know sponge's are not the best)
Applied the water and shampoo solution to the car, and clayed it, as we used the water and shampoo solution as a lubricant for the clay, did it panel by panel, once clayed it was then dried. Once each panel was done we then used autoglym super resin polish and polished the whole car.
We also used supergard alloy wheel cleaner and protector, silicone for the wheels to make them shiny (only on sidewalls or a disaster could have happened, we were running low on tyre foam) Used autoglym leather care cream on the seats, and supergard upholstery cleaner.

Anonymous

What is this clay you refer to and how do you use it?

oli3107

A clay bar is a little bar made of clay type stuff, you can buy it in halfords and other detailing places.
You warm up the clay in your hands, and then you put some sort of lubricant on the bodywork and you rub it for 30 seconds or until satisfied.
It gets rid of all the roughness in some paintworkm gets rid of the littlest paint flakes, little piece of foreign debris also.
Pm me if you want me to explain more

enid_b

nice job there. its a shame that the car is silver,

i only say that cos mine was silver and no matter how hard i tried, it just looked clean.

however, you have done a belting job on that. its probably the shiniest silver one i have seen.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

uktotty

Great job, did your mummy give you more pocket money for doing her car?

enid_b

this is the reason i hate silver cars, you can never get  a proper shine on them.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

oli3107

Nope, no money, but she is amazed how smooth and mirror finish it has, she is amazed at how clay works.
And we could have spent longer on the job i suppose and made it more shiny, using a machine polisher and using halogen lights to check for swirls.
But i can not wait to clean it again next time  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

It is a great job,you may have inspired me to wash mine tomorrow.

oli3107

Go for it mate, you do get a big smile when it goes the way u plan it to. Do you have clay, if not, pop down to halfrauds and buy a little bar of it, like i said just lubricate the surface and work it in, does not need to be very hard pressure on the paintwork, the clay should feel very jolty, then all of a sudden go really smooth, this shows you have picked up all the cr4p landed on your car. And also get a good set of polish and a leather if you have not got it.

Ilogik

claybar is a great invention, car looks spotless, but no matter how hard or how much time you put into it, it will never looks as shiney as a black car.

Had a silver mk3 and a black mk2, the result difference between the two is silly.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Anonymous

A polish should only be used to give life to a dull surface, so on a regular car maybe only once or twice a year. A good wax is what you need, which is what gives the best shines and the protection the paintwork needs. As nice as that paint looks now, without a wax protection over it you're going to end up with a lifeless looking car very soon, and the Autoglym blurb on the back of their resin polish is a bit misleading which is unlike them. Megs have the right idea with their three-stage stuff (available in Halfrauds hence why I've mentioned it), as you use their paint cleaner, then the polish, then the carnuba wax.

I've yet to find anything better than the Dodo Juice range, although I will use Megs Last Touch as a generic detailing/lubricant spray for my clay.

Ilogik

Dodo juice is great can't fault it. Bloody expensive though. I think price you can't go wrong with megs. Halfrauds have a 2 for 1 deal on atm, I filled up my car cleaning supplies, got the gold class liquid wax, stage 2 polish and the wheel cleaner.

oli3107

Ok did not know wax was as needed as it is.

Ilogik

Yup, if you imagine the polish as a fine grain sand paper, it slowly removes faint scratches, the wax is your lacquer it re seals it and gives it a protective coating, a shield from the elements.

oli3107

Ok thanks for the tip mate, so the polish is like abrasive and the wax is the lacquer and adds a seal of protection

philster_d

Build up some wax layers every other week for a few weeks as well now.

Search this forum, there is some posts about claying and polishing and I think some links to some how to guides that were from detailing world.

Phil

oli3107

Thanks mate

Jigwar

All you'll ever want to know (about car cleaning) is here...
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

Acehole

I would say great and good good, but i do this for a living and i have to have all the cars looking like that day in day out so no biggy from me there sorry  s:P :P s:P . I took 1 while i was at work today gives u an idea of how they look all the time, and u can imagine a close up of my mr2 cant ya.

Ex Owner of a ...2000 X Silver (1DO) Air con with Red leather and Hardtop, JDL spoiler, 17" Momo Corse wheels, Custom exhaust system by Pipecraft, K&N 57i Gen2 Cold Air Induction Kit Facelift Indies. Full main dealer history

silverstreaker

Ai-mazing!!!!!!!!!! I now realise that I have not got a clue about cleaning my car.
 (Once a year whether it needs it or not)

oli3107

thats chrome paintwork lol
joking mate that looks really good actually

Tags: