any interest in the federal rs-r track day tyres?

Started by Anonymous, July 1, 2010, 23:46

Anonymous

if any one is interested in the federal rs-r track day tyres please let me know if enough interest may be able to give a club discount, hope this post does not offend any one!

loadswine

Interesting product Mike. Have a word with one of the committee, to make sure all is okay.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

odd they class them as  track tyre if this is teh tread, looks mre like teh Eagle F1 GSD3
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Wabbitkilla

Less grooves than the GSD3 though so more rubber on the road.

Might be useful to see a review of them and check available sizes.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

markiii

good point, anyone run them?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

m http://www.federaltire.com/en/html/pdet ... ine=3&ID=3 m

looks like they have a reinforced sidewall and carcass

could be interesting

Wabbitkilla

Unfortunately none in the right sizes though  m http://www.federaltire.com/en/images/da ... 595RS.html m    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Anonymous

They're all in awkward sizes, nothing there I could even use for the Zed.

Wabbitkilla

A shame really as it would be nice to have alternatives to play with   s:? :? s:?

loadswine

Might find sizes to fit on the SP12 17" wheels, but again will have to have a good think about the sizes. Currently thinking 235/40 rear and 215/45 at front, just thinking out loud really.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

roger

Quote from: "loadswine"Might find sizes to fit on the SP12 17" wheels, but again will have to have a good think about the sizes. Currently thinking 235/40 rear and 215/45 at front, just thinking out loud really.

I had a quick look as well but decided it wasn't to be.  "Standard" is 245/35 and 205/40. Rear could probably be OK, but you'd lose half your lowering drop on the front - nose in the air? You could take off like Mark  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Chris_h

It'd be interesting to see a review, as my only experience with Federal Tyres was the SS595 Super Sport

Nothing sporty about them, unbelieavably noisy (they came with the car and ruined it) I fitted new Falken FK452 (a relative budget tyre) as part of the sale deal and they transformed the car - This was the new model MINI Cooper JCW on 17" 205/40/17 which I thought was pretty average until the day I sold it......
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

mrzwei

Slight drift, but the tyres look road legal so must be something like the old ints in F1. Good buy for every day use? Stupid question so feel free to have a go   s:D :D s:D  .
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "mrzwei"Slight drift, but the tyres look road legal so must be something like the old ints in F1. Good buy for every day use? Stupid question so feel free to have a go   s:D :D s:D  .

The subject title would suggest otherwise, but there are other types of semi-slick which people use on the road. The Toyo R888's for one.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

silversprint

I ran these Federal RSR tires on the Z4M coupe a couple of weeks ago. They are great tires for the money. The dry grip is very good and they can almost make it thru a 25min session without getting greasy. Too bad there they don't come in 15s for the spyder.

s:D :D s:D  
MR2 2zz 300hp, Ohlins, big sticky tires, and a big wing
Lotus Elise
70 911E
RX7 Fd3S

Goeman

I missed this thread first time around. I have a friend who is a dealer for federal and Silverstone (who are sort of the same company) and they are quite highly rated. Obviously the lack the ultimate grip of an R888 but they're cheaper and last a bit longer. I know that the guys who run driftworks rate them and run them on there track day (non drifting) cars.

Sticking too avidly to normal tyres sizes is only going to cause you a headache. The grip these tyres generate means a reduction in stagger would hurt too much. Federal also make even stickier tyres called FZ-201's but they have even fewer size choices than the RS-R. Silverstone tyres do trackday tyres but they are very limited in sizes. I make life easy for myself and run 195/50R15's all round on trackdays. The car handles wonderfully.

If you're looking for a semi track tyre alternative that's cheap and comes in plenty of sizes then try Hankook RS2 Z212's. Camskill sell them (look under 'Track Day tyres') and they look like a billy bargain to me. A friend ran them on his MX5 and he was impressed. Obviously they're at the low end of the trackday tyre scale.
Russell

silversprint

The Hankook RS3s are better. They seem to be the fastest dry weather street/track tire right now short of a R-compound.
Lotus Elise
70 911E
RX7 Fd3S

Goeman

Quote from: "silversprint"The Hankook RS3s are better. They seem to be the fastest dry weather street/track tire right now short of a R-compound.

Not available in the UK or Europe as far as I can tell. Hankook are definitely one to watch. Toyo seem the have disappeared up there own arse with the success of the R888.

A quote from a friend on another forum about RS-R's;
Quote...and new federal 595 - RS-R are also bloody grippy and I love them. Not as grippy as R888's but not far off at all. They also don't make the stupid road noise that R888 used to.
Russell

silversprint

The R888s did not do well here in the US. Several race organizations threatened to drop toyo as their tire sponsor, so Toyo was forced to bring the RA1 back into production. I tried the R888 on the spyder. I didn't like them. They cost more than the RA1, was too hard to dial in, and didn't last as long. They r888s are suppose to be faster than the RA1s but they have a narrower optimal temp/pressure range that I just was not able to find.
Lotus Elise
70 911E
RX7 Fd3S

Goeman

Huge success here. So much so that they've become the benchmark really. They made a big point of them being road legal and that just clicked with people so that's what everyone wanted. They were the first track day tyre I'd tried and it was just a WOW moment. I had a Corrado VR6 which I'd done a few trackdays in but on road tyres. Good road tyres but read tyres none the less. It was brilliant down the straight with fantastic noise and acceleration I'd get to a corner get good turn in and then it'd all go wrong when I touched the accelerator. Noise, wheel spin and understeer until the wheels were in a straight line again. I banged on a set of R888's and my word was transformed. I've still got a half used set in the garage that have yet to be used on the MR2. I'll enjoy the day I do pit them on.

The problem is that Toyo just keep upping the price and this year they've gone a bit weird and are making it more difficult to get hold of them. If you went on ebay UK early last year and types in 'toyo r888' you would have got about 5 pages of results. I did it just now and got 12 results and 3 of those were used. People are looking for alternatives.

What tyres are you currently running Mr Silversprint?
Russell

silversprint

I am now back to 205/50/15 front and 225/45/15 rear Toyo RA1. The rears are mounted on 15x9 wheels. The RA1 tires are cheaper, last longer, and are easier to drive on than the R888s.

I was running 225/50/15 front 235/40/17 rear R888s, which I just removed.

I think Toyo will get rid of the r888s. The inventory is low because they are not selling as well as the RA1s. They also cost more than both the RA1 and the Nitto NT-01 tire. I don't think Toyo ever had any intention of offering the RA1 and the R888 at they same time canabalizing sales of the more expensive R888 tire.
Lotus Elise
70 911E
RX7 Fd3S

Goeman

Are you running 949Racing 6UL's by any chance?

Toyo's tyre ranges in the UK and US are different and the market demand appears to be different. I think RA1's are called RR1 over hear and they're not easy to get hold of (my online search has turned up nothing) and I don't think they're road legal here.
Russell

silversprint

I just ordered a set of the 949 wheels. Several of us are using them on the spyder over here.
Lotus Elise
70 911E
RX7 Fd3S

Goeman

Quote from: "silversprint"I just ordered a set of the 949 wheels. Several of us are using them on the spyder over here.

They're really cool wheels. I did some research into 6UL's a couple of months ago on spyderchat because my friend has become the sole UK importer of them. He's going to let me trial fit his personal set because I read that the 8J's might rub on the front arches. I'm trying to persuade him to import some 7J's in the next batch for the front of the car. Very nice and very light wheels.

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... -Clearance m
Russell

Mad Matt

Any idea on the weight difference, if it's not too much topic drift?

Tags: