More switches needed

Started by Anonymous, March 14, 2004, 14:56

Anonymous

Just installed my new head unit the other day and have the aerial issue in that it stays up all the time. I want to install a switch as people have already done to allow me to manually allow the aerial to go up and down.

Now, I know which wires to connect to because initially I forgot to connect them together and had no aerial going up at all. What I want to do is get hold of a factory looking switch (they look standard japanese fitments) and fit it in the second switch left of the steering wheel (for us UK left hand drives). You can see it in the pic below, the one with the red dot on it.

Can anyone tell me how to get the red-dot blanking plate out? Do you just prise it out or do you need to take that part of the dash off to get it out? I assume it is just a blanking plate and nothing is connected up to it? If there is something connected, I'll use the coin holder slot next to it.

Will have a nip down to a breakers tomorrow (if the weather brightens up a bit) and have a look round the Jap cars there and see if I can find a simple on/off switch. Ideally I want one like a light switch, but a push button (like the window lock button) will do. The idea is to fit something that looks factory standard but allows you to keep the aerial down whilst just listening to CDs (which I do 95% of the time).

Cheers

Steve

MRMike

I think thats your alarm LED! I'd use the coin slot!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Is it?   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I thought that was the led under the middle rotary knob in the heater control bit (you can just make it out on the picture).

As far as I know no reference is made to that red dot  plate in the manual so I assumed it was redundant. Good job I asked  s:) :) s:)

Will see what other people say. Car is on an '04 plate so facelifted version if that makes any difference?

markiii

red dot under heater controls is teh factory immobilsor.

teh red dot on teh switch blank is for your Toyota GB alarm fitment.

I'd use te coin holder as mike says.

thats what I've done. I used a second foglight switch.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MRMike

I think i have two flashing lights....I believe the one by the vents is the standard immobiliser flashing led that is standard on all MR2's..the other by the steering column is the retro fitted UK alarm...Of course I could be horribly wrong   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Thanks guys  s:) :) s:)  Saved me from making a complete arse of it   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Looks like the coin holder is toast then  s:) :) s:)  Can you just pull it out, or does it need levering round the edges, or do I need to take that bit of dash trim off (if so how?).

markiii

just pull

a little tip when you run the wires, leave a little slack at teh switch end and put in a couple of bullet connectors.

that way should you need to remove the swicth later you can disconnect the wires easily without pissing about under teh dash again.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

That part of the dash comes out as follows...

Gently pull the clock surround plastic off.

Undo the 2 screws at the lower corners of the dash panel, and then gently pull the panel free...

Alternatively, just put your hand up the back of the dash, and release the coin holder by pushing in the small tabs on the top and bottom of it. It'll then come forward through the hole.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks all, a great help  s:D :D s:D

Just got to see if I can find myself a switch now   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

maplins where i get all my switchs from

Anonymous

Buster, can you get switches that fully fill the space where the coin holder is and look factory fit? There is a breakers about 10-15 mins walk from me that have a variety of cars in so should be able to find something tomorrow.

If you can get the right sort of switch from Maplin, then that's also a possibility.

Does anyone know where you can get the same type of bullet connecters that are the sort used on my Pioneer head unit loom, and as far as I can remember, are pretty much the same as on my old Kenwood one. They aren't like the standard crimped bullet type connecters and I think they look a lot neater. If I can get a pair of the same sort, will save me having to change the Pioneer loom and would mean I just have to put the right connectors on the switch wiring.

Anonymous

You cant get a switch that cover's the same area but here what i do, Guys and girls Buster is giving away another of his serects!!!

Rigth take the cover pannel of be carefull not to crack it tho now you need to get your slef a push button but one which one push is on and one opush is off just like normall but dose not alter in hight! so the on and off posistion is the same height, you can get these from maplins but i cant rember what there called but the guys there will know

next fix the switch behind the dash where the switch went so that when you push the cover then it would push the switch!, best to connect up all the wires beofre this as it wont be easy to do this after. i normall hot glue gun it inot poistion with a little bit of plastic scrap just so it has no flex under pressure, but make sure that once the cover plate it attached to the switch that it is flush to the dash like it was when you removed it, a litle packing maybe nessacy us the platic then hot glue it.

All you need to do next is trim the cover sligtly just so it slips in and out of the hole easier! then hot glue gun this to the switch, simple and effective no one will even no that it's there and it looks completely Factotry fit well it looks the same as before LOL

works for me and hope it helps you   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: