How heavy is an MR2

Started by stargazer30, September 10, 2010, 14:37

stargazer30

Guys,

According to parkers they are 1030kg, but I dunno if thats dry weight or actual weight.  Anyone know how much one ways with all the fluids in, fuel etc..  Better still anyone with the usual mods had one on a weight table?

David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

cclarke99

Heres some weights I found. I always thought the standard car weight was 975kg, this includes all fluids, but no fuel. 2185lb is 993kg. 1/8 tank = 7 litres or about 5kg, so that makes 987kg with an empty tank according to the data below.

Item Weight (lb)

car w/ 1/8 tank gas (indicated) 2185 +/- 4 lb
c50 transaxle 79 +/- 1 lb
front wheel 14.6  
rear wheel 15.2  
front tire -Yokohama 18.7 +/- 1/4 lb
rear tire -Yokohama 20.8 +/- 1/4 lb
spare w/cover & bolt 25.0  
spare lid 3.0  
front surround 2.8  
spare bucket and support straps 8.2  
"K51" tool kit 8.0  
rear storage doors 5.4  
rear storage floor 3.0  
rear storage end covers -removable 0.8  
rear storage package shelf 3.6  
passenger seat 32.8  
driver seat 34.6  
floor mats 4.6  
sun visors 1.0  
wind deflector 1.4  
plastic covers of brace behind seats 1.6  
brace behind seats w/ latch 4.4  
engine vanity cover 0.6  
rear strut tower brace 1.4  
power steering pump, lines, fluid 13.8  
front splash shield 1.4  
rear splash shield 2.0  
exhaust splash shield 1.2  
headlamp (1) 4.0  
taillamp (1) 2.4  
cowl cover 1.6  
front inner fender liner 1.2  
rear inner fender liner 1.0  
rear bumper 10.0  
tubular rear bumper braces (2) 0.6  
left rear fender 10.4  
right rear fender 9.8  
rear deck lid (w/ stop lamp) 20.0  
rear deck lid prop 0.2  
side vent (1) 0.4  
front bumper 8.2  
front fender 4.0  
front hood 22.0  
front hood prop 0.4  
wiper arms (2) 2.0  
muffler 27.6  
catalytic converter (3rd & final) 16.8  
exhaust manifold cover 2.4  
exhaust manifold (w/ cats) 16.2  
heat shield -small 0.2  
heat shield -exhaust (black) 1.2  
hardware (total of removed) 3.4  
OEM battery 28.0  
battery mounting 2.0  
intake system (pipe in fender only) 1.4  
air filter 0.6  

+/- 0.2 lb unless noted

skinz

....I bench mine at the weekend, does wonders for your triceps   s:P :P s:P  - no need for axel stands in my garage

mrzwei

If you're really into this then you do have to work on the weight of the driver. Have a dump, don't wear anything, get to the bottom of your optimum height / weight ratio or teach a kid how to drive. Only kidding   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

stargazer30

I found the PDF brochure for the facelift MR2 from toyota its says...

"And weighing in at just 990 kg (1005 kg for the SMT) whilst producing an impressive 125lb/ft of torque, they have class-leading power-to-weight ratios."

However thats not kerb weight, later in the same PDF it says...

manual    SMT
Kerb  1030       1045
Gross 1225       1235
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

frogger

Quote from: "skinz"....I bench mine at the weekend, does wonders for your triceps   s:P :P s:P  - no need for axel stands in my garage

44% of weight at the front; ~440kg bench press? impressive!

Tem

Quote from: "cclarke99"I always thought the standard car weight was 975kg, this includes all fluids, but no fuel.

It's quoted 975kg as driveable, so including fuel too. And 1050kg with the standard 75kg EU driver.

IIRC, mine weighted 972kg with roughly full tank when it was stock.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "Tem"It's quoted 975kg as driveable, so including fuel too. And 1050kg with the standard 75kg EU driver.
Ooo - Weight saving - Where do I get one of those?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "cclarke99"I always thought the standard car weight was 975kg, this includes all fluids, but no fuel.

It's quoted 975kg as driveable, so including fuel too. And 1050kg with the standard 75kg EU driver.

IIRC, mine weighted 972kg with roughly full tank when it was stock.

Ohdamn.. does that mean I count as both a driver and passenger at standard EU rates?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

evileye_wrx

Quote from: "Toyota's Own Brochure""they have class-leading power-to-weight ratios."

So that's the MR2, MGF and MX5 class then   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

muffdan

the facelift was heavier than the pre-facelift. Aircon installed or not would make a difference too.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

ChrisGB

From what I have read, the six speed gearbox is significantly heavier than the 5 speed.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

OlberJ

No one actually weighed their own?

I keep saying i'm going to get it done but waiting for tyres and the tracking to be done at the same time. 1MZ, S54 and exhaust will probably add a bit.
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

http://www.olbermotive.com

ChrisGB

Quote from: "OlberJ"No one actually weighed their own?

I keep saying i'm going to get it done but waiting for tyres and the tracking to be done at the same time. 1MZ, S54 and exhaust will probably add a bit.

I know how much a 1mz should add, but have been unable to find out how the weight of the S54 compares to the stock 6 speed.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

stargazer30

So what your saying is since I have a facelift MR2 with a 6 speed box, air con and a amp, sub and after market speakers, plus the turbo kit....   Mine is a fatty lol  

I'm hoping its less than 1100kg, I should have got some back by loosing the stock exhaust and manifold.

ChrisGB

Anyone remember operation hard hat?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Chris

Tem

I have. Several times. Posted the stock number above.  s:P :P s:P

Tem

Quote from: "stargazer30"So what your saying is since I have a facelift MR2 with a 6 speed box, air con and a amp, sub and after market speakers, plus the turbo kit....   Mine is a fatty lol  

I'm hoping its less than 1100kg, I should have got some back by loosing the stock exhaust and manifold.

The 6spd weight is already included in the "facelift" weight.  s8) 8) s8)

I bet you're under 1050kg with all that. Maybe even close to 1000kg, if you have removed some stuff, like the tools and spare etc.

Turbokit doesn't necessarily add weight, cause you tend to remove plenty of heavy stock stuff..  s8) 8) s8)

Tem

Quote from: "ChrisGB"From what I have read, the six speed gearbox is significantly heavier than the 5 speed.

It is heavier, but not THAT much. I have one of each in the garage, if you can't find their weights online..

The 5spd is EU one with LSD, the 6spd JDM without LSD though.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "ChrisGB"From what I have read, the six speed gearbox is significantly heavier than the 5 speed.

It is heavier, but not THAT much. I have one of each in the garage, if you can't find their weights online..

Not so much a big difference in weight, but looking at what else was added at the facelift, the gearbox probably accounts for most of the weight gain.

Chris

OlberJ

I have. Several times. Posted the stock number above.  s:P :P s:P

Sorry Tem, it's the weekend and i've been working and my cat's not well, errrr.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Black 1MZ V6 - TTE Springs - 17" wheels - F355 exhaust - LSD and ST182 FD - aka Black Bob Jnr

http://www.olbermotive.com

Tem

Quote from: "ChrisGB"

Not so much a big difference in weight, but looking at what else was added at the facelift, the gearbox probably accounts for most of the weight gain.

Chris

Ah, yes, that's true.  s8) 8) s8)

kentsmudger

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Anyone remember operation hard hat?

No  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:? :? s:?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

ChrisGB

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"Anyone remember operation hard hat?

No  s:?: :?: s:?:    s:? :? s:?

From "Up in Smoke".

Maybe its just me then.

Chris

fstsven

Mine was weighed at 1010 kg with half a tank of fuel. Lighter exhaust, spare wheel and some interior plastics removed.
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Tags: