Remote On for AMP

Started by Anonymous, March 17, 2004, 14:16

Anonymous

I need a remote cable for the amp, i know this should come from the headunit but is there any other cable i can use, i know this just takes a little current.

THis may be a stupid thing to ask but can i use speaker cable (spliced from the speakers) as a remote, this'd mean that there is only power going to the amp when the speakers are out-putting.......

Is this stupid idea or will it work?

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"I need a remote cable for the amp, i know this should come from the headunit but is there any other cable i can use, i know this just takes a little current.

If your headunit doesn't have any output (could be marked as power antenna or something else as well), you can always use the same wire from ignition that turns the stereo itself on.

I don't think you'll get enough permanent DC from speaker wires  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

NO dont use the speaker wire   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

You will blow both the amp and the H/U, have you not the the orignal h/u?

Most modern h/u have the remote plug, it's normall blue and you can use a normall multi core wire to feed them ! it's purely a singal wires for the ralys in the amp

crankshaft

Hi;, you can't use the Speaker wires.

You have a new Sony head unit right ?? - it must have an antenna connection (normally blue). If your head unit does not have a seperate AMP cable, then tap into the antanna wire.

Cheers

PeterC
2001 SMT - Pete

crankshaft

Opops, concurrent posting by Buster & me !
2001 SMT - Pete

GSB

Assuming the amp you refer to is your infinity sub, try this...

Under the drivers side storage compartment is the power antenna control relay, a feed can be taken from the input side of this, which saves you the bother of running a wire all the way from the head unit.

Of course, this is assuming you havent already configured your head unit wirng to lower the antenna when not in use...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Yeah i knew the h/u had a remote cable but didn't wanna run ANOTHER cable wanted to know if there was a shortcut   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

GSB has come up with the idea solution me thinks, what does the relay look like mate?

Anonymous

just run the cable down the centre console.it took 5 minutes to do with mine(i still have the stock h/u)

Anonymous

Dont want to be horrible but its' best not to short cut on power lead or singal leads for amp's as it could start a fire and it may overload something else in the car if not connect to the proper conections.

i normall run extra cables at the start of an install and if i need them then wicked but if i dont it has only cost me the price of the wire and 2 mins of my time rather than 30 mins of my time to disaembale the car and then reassemble it again

GSB

Quote from: "Buster"Dont want to be horrible but its' best not to short cut on power lead or singal leads for amp's as it could start a fire and it may overload something else in the car if not connect to the proper conections.

i normall run extra cables at the start of an install and if i need them then wicked but if i dont it has only cost me the price of the wire and 2 mins of my time rather than 30 mins of my time to disaembale the car and then reassemble it again

Should be okay in this instance though buster, as its only a remote switch and only a few mA to drive the relay coil in the amplifier. The supply is already protected and derived from the head unit output you'd be using anyway.

Having said that, like you, I'd just lay 50p worth of cable while I was doing the rest of the job...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "bigun007"GSB has come up with the idea solution me thinks, what does the relay look like mate?

It looks a bit like... a relay.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Its ok, i did it the proper way, sounds 100% better as i thought it might.

Cheers for the advice though guys.

Anonymous

proper job good  boy   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: