Bass Cannon

Started by scottee, March 20, 2004, 21:58

scottee

I've bought a cheap bass-cannon (8") off ebay just as a stopgap until I can get a custom install sorted (which is way at the back of my que, after Exhaust/Springs/Wheels/FlexPlate/Bodykit/Spoiler).

The problem being my head unit (as in my sig) has the standard RCA leads to plug into an amp, but this cannon (which has a built in amp) only has the connections for standard speaker cable.... any suggestions on how I make the speaker cable connect to the RCA connection, is it as simple as just adding RCA plug connections onto the end of the speaker cable connections and plug it in?

I know this sounds stupid, but I jsut want to check if thats how it works (i think ti is)

markiii

if the cannon has an inbuilt amp but requires a speaker connection input, I suspect it must have a level onverter.

connectign teh RCA will be way to low a level signal to work. I would expect that you need to connect the rear speaker cables from teh headunit tio teh cannon.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

dont know if i can help but i have connected rear speakers to the sony standard pre 03 h/u and to the current fisherprice unit

i have some pictures of the 03 onwards connections

the pre 03 can be connected without even removing the h/u

not sure if these are the same as the h/u you have

scottee

I have some odd toyota headunit.... see:

m http://homepage.ntlworld.com/babyblade/ ... CI0005.JPG m

I know it has 2 pairs of pre-outs, and one video input in the back, not to sure about rear speaker cables though.... i'll pull it out tonight and have a look. Any advice though adz648, it would be appricated (where you run the cables etc)  s:) :) s:)

scottee

hmmmm I cant seem to find a rear speaker leads, they all kinda go into this 1 block connector, and they look like only the front ones... gues im gonna have to pull the h/u out  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

not sure whether this applies to your stereo or not but here goes any way

the 03< models UK stereo has four separate plugs on the back along with a spare block for connecting a changer

at the top of the stereo there is a plug which appears to be the back lighting for the huge orange screen.

at the bottom of the stereo there are the three plugs two of which connect into the same bank on the back of the stereo. the one nearest to the drivers side contains both the power wires and the front speaker wires. the plug next to it has five pins but only one wire connected to it. this is where the rear speaker outlet is as you can see.
as you expect with Toyota no wiring diagrams on the stereo  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

the pre 03 Sony tape/CD/radio h/u had a separate four pin plug hanging out the back of the stereo. cant remember which was left and right but the wires are coloured in pairs so just adjust the volume to one side only and try it  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .

i have plumbed the wires round the back of the glove box, down the back of the relays behind he kicker plate in the passenger side foot well(held in place by a couple of plastic thumb nuts as we call them at work, push on, screw off) then i fed the wires along side the original wiring loom down the passenger side sill channel (only plastic clipped in place) from here the wire go behind the removable storage bin expander plates.

if you need some more pics let me know

hope this helps, but bare in mind I'm not an expert. buster and slacey are the best people to ask they know there stuff

Anonymous

I did this just last week, you DO have to take the headunit out, get some crimping stuff, look on the loom that goes into the headunit and find the cables marked "Speaker Left, Speaker Right".

Cut and splice them, run them to the amp and hey presto

markiii

you DO NOT want to be splicing into teh front speaker wires. If you add additional load you will change the relative impedance of teh circuit.

Nasty things can then happen to both amps and speakers depending on teh relative change. Make sure it is the rear speakers.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

scottee

Another thing im worried about, the power cables for it are very thin... and unlike a normal amp, there is no remote cable either.... do these power cables go straight into the car battery (they do have a fuse built into the cable)... if that is the case then wouldnt the amp be powered 24/7?

Due to the size of the power cables, it looks like they should be run off the same power supply as the headunit, but I really dont think that its a good idea to do that, is it?!?

Anonymous

dont run it off the head unit.i did that and had real problems with the amp switching off or not powering up.spend the extra time wiring it properly and you will see the benefits.

scottee

yeah, but if it doesnt have a remote feed, how do I make it turn off when the car is turned off? If its powered directly off the battery, but has no remote lead, its gonna run 24/7 and drain the battery.... or will it? god im so dumb

markiii

correct.

what you'll need is to run it off the battery, via a relay (goto halfords or maplins) using the switched live feed, from for example teh cig lighter to switch teh relay.

assuming your mounting thsi in teh bins, you could tap teh switched live off teh aerial control module.

Anonymous

where is this module while we are on the subject

markiii

underneath teh plastic floor of the rear bins, drivers side.

Anonymous

nice one found it

Anonymous

you can buy RCA connectors which transfer an RCA into a speaker cable conector,  

Problem with this is a low level and not much power but as your amping it it wont matter to much,

Also you should be able to find the Blue lead from the back of the h/u this is remote on! this turns the amp on and off .

Then all you do if get a new supply from the battert dont forget to fuse it just after the battery and before the amp! and use the seatbelt connector to earth it to the chassi

scottee

Quote from: "Buster"you can buy RCA connectors which transfer an RCA into a speaker cable conector

Perfect, thats what i needed, i'll have to go look for one  

Thanks matey

The cannon is quite a state, but I plan on covering it with some new carpet to match the rest of the car... maybe even some red leather, if I can find a big off-cut, that would be quite sweet, would complement my red leather seats!
[/quote]

Anonymous

you get them in halfords there under the autoleads bits   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

make sure that it's a bigg halfords and if any little boy says they dont do them well they do so there   s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

halfords are doing red carpet as well at the moment for £20.

Anonymous

dont do carpet guys for the extra money go vinal   s:P :P s:P   looks very sexy

scottee

almost kinky   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

aaronjb

Only if you use latex..

Mmmm.. latex..  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  lol

I think I'd prefer carpet if I was covering something in the back myself - it'd match the flooring of the car better..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: