Unichip - Economy or Power

Started by kentsmudger, January 9, 2011, 16:14

kentsmudger

I have just worked out that an improvement of 1 mpg on average would equal £100 in a year - Not a huge amount but it made me start thinking.

Can a Unichip be mapped for better fuel economy? I have one with the A/B map settings, so could I have one map programmed for best BHP and one for best MPG, and switch between them for commuting and hooning?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

JudoKilli

I like this idea! Might convince me to get a unichip myself if it can be done!

evileye_wrx

Probably, but you'd probably be charged for 2 mapping sessions. So your saving would mean you'd need to keep the car for a while yet to be worthwhile   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

michaelasaunders

QuoteI like this idea! Might convince me to get a unichip myself if it can be done!

Me too
Fiat Stilo 1.9TD 53 plate - 3 door - red
Ex-MR2 - X reg, Blue, Hard Top

kentsmudger

Quote from: "evileye_vx"Probably, but you'd probably be charged for 2 mapping sessions. So your saving would mean you'd need to keep the car for a while yet to be worthwhile   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Phil

Well yes, but I have already spent more on this car than it is ever going to sell for (minor mods and major failures), so anything I do spend has to be something I want for the sake of it really. In fact my projected fuel bill for this year is probably going to be more than the car would sell for.

I was going to get it mapped but I may need a new Unichip or something else in its place as my A/B switch does not appear to be working and I don't know which map it is on now! The chip does appear to be currently working though...

I want to keep the car, and won't make much money if I sell it, I really don't want to go back to a stock 2 at this point, so I will keep spending slowly for now!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

mrzwei

According to the original blurb that came with mine the switch light is on when switched to the B map and off when switched to the A map. (That could be the wrong way 'round without double checking).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrzwei"According to the original blurb that came with mine the switch light is on when switched to the B map and off when switched to the A map. (That could be the wrong way 'round without double checking).

To add to this I think you are either on A or B map.    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

mrzwei

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

kentsmudger

Quote from: "life of bryan"
Quote from: "mrzwei"According to the original blurb that came with mine the switch light is on when switched to the B map and off when switched to the A map. (That could be the wrong way 'round without double checking).

To add to this I think you are either on A or B map.    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
s:D :D s:D  
It has been like that for some time and runs with plenty of power, so am not unduly worried about it, just looking at future possibilities.

ChrisGB

Mapping for best power on the Mr2 means advancing the timing across much of the load and rpm range and leaning the mixture out at full throttle high rpm condition. Both of these will mean more power or better efficiency. If you don't use the extra power, you probably improve economy instead. What you cannot do with a unichip is map mid band part throttle fuelling as this interferes with the ecu closed loop operation and creates serious problems.

Toyota run it about optimal for economy anyway so bringing part load timing forward is probably as much as can be done. This is pretty much what you would do for a performance map, so win win situation  s:) :) s:)  

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

kentsmudger

So what you are saying is - Map it for power then drive without the lead boots? I did suspect that power might be linked to efficiency, but wasn't sure how it worked - Only need one map in that case too - Thanks!

Anonymous

I think that if you're really after serious gains in MPG then practice with the right boot is going to get you more than you could ever get with a new map on the Unichip. I won't lecture on the whole less throttle/correct gear/advance planning thing as I know you know all that anyway, I'm just thinking more along the lines of best MPG for your buck.  s:) :) s:)

Mad Matt

I think I got an extra 4mpg with the Unichip and Mark III pipe combination. That's comparing the average over several long runs driven with a light right foot! Having a clutch on its way out helped me keep the foot light  :-) :-) :-)

loadswine

When I had a unichip, I needed to run the car on super U/L, so removing it, selling on and driving gently at times would give the most savings probably.Mine was always worse on fuel with the chip I found.
 Some of the guys on here get amazing consumption figures, from what they've posted, some with a few mods as well.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

kentsmudger

OK - So the car is not ever going to be a Prious, and I don't want it to be! I have a sensible TDi for hauling the family around the country, the Roadster is for me to enjoy, petrol taxes be damned.

I did find this handy fuel cost calculator and was just playing with entering different figures. It is interesting, but I'm not going to be turning into a hyper-miler!

Loadswine - I don't know how some of the Roadsters on Fuelly.com can achieve some of the figures they post - Not if they are having any fun anyway

loadswine

I have been amazed too Jeremy, there do appear to be some very fuel efficient Roadsters posted about. None of mine have ever achieved some of the figures I've seen posted, but maybe its just me.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Used to get 38 to 40 ( ordinary u/l) with my first roadster with stock ecu and 35/37 ( super u/l) with unichip and US mapping in situ. Turbo was 32 or 33(super u/l) and V6 27 to 31( ordinary u/l) Those are all running around the countryside with a bit of vigorous stuff thrown in as well.
Overall though, I think you've hit the nail on the head, and what we ought to talk about is SMILES per gallon.  s8) 8) s8)  
Sounds like you've got a fairly efficient setup already to me.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

JiMR2

Smiles per gallon  s:) :) s:)  They'll never be able to tax that!  s:P :P s:P

I like that Nigel!!!!   s8) 8) s8)
AKA Cinnamon Jim

roger

I certainly found a light right foot with Unichip and super U/L got more mpg than stock with Ordinary.

If you are currently mapped for Super U/l, MAYBE a map for ordinary U/L would give a saving??? If you got same mpg, then certainly it would, though I guess if you are running a light right foot a Super U/L map would probably accept ordinary U/L anyway.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

robsonic

Quote from: "roger"I certainly found a light right foot with Unichip and super U/L got more mpg than stock with Ordinary.

Same here.
2006-2016, but the love (and seatbelt covers) have happily passed to my daughter   s]

kentsmudger

I am currently running (one of!) the generic maps from the US, and it could definitely be improved. When accelerating, it goes better if I  don't press my foot right down to the floor, but keep about 1/2" off the carpet. I have been getting about 30mpg for 3 years, with 2 different engines, before and after all the mods listed below. I don't ever seem to get much better than that, except on a 200mile M-way trip once in the rain, where I got 40.

I don't think I have an LRF, was it a special order?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

roger

Quote from: "kentsmudger"I am currently running (one of!) the generic maps from the US, and it could definitely be improved. I don't think I have an LRF, was it a special order?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

By their very nature the US maps are only generic and not ideal for your car or UK petrol. Perhaps its time to get it mapped properly.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

No, the LRF was not a special order, but gets given to you FOC by him upstairs as a bonus for longevity   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

WillsSayers

Quote from: "JiMR2"They'll never be able to tax that!  s:P :P s:P

Give them time  s;) ;) s;)

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

mrzwei

Quote from: "WillsSayers"
Quote from: "JiMR2"They'll never be able to tax that!  s:P :P s:P

Give them time  s;) ;) s;)

There is a strong rumour that they are planning to turn around the speed cameras so that they photograph the front of the car and the driver and thus bring us into line with several other member states in the EU.
At this point it is planned to introduce a new offence 'Smiling whilst driving a motor vehicle' It will carry a further 3 points and £60 fine.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

Tags: