Janspeed/Che exhaust info/advice.

Started by dcod, February 19, 2011, 15:56

dcod

Hi,

I'm new and this is my first post.  s:D :D s:D  

Firstly, I want thank Mr2roc staff and members because I have learn so much about my car. Thank you.   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

I have a Black MR2 X reg, currently totally standard (except for pre cats   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ) which I bought new and imported from Holland as a UK car (has slight differences). It's done 58,000 miles and uses 1 litre of oil every 1000 miles   s:( :( s:(   (when I start posting questions about a 2zz conversion you'll know I'm starting to get worried).

I want a Janspeed twin exit exhaust, they seem very hard to get hold of.  m http://www.dcperformance.co.uk m  sell the exhaust for £410 but you have to order 5   s:x :x s:x  .  m http://www.europerformance.co.uk m  seem to sell the exhaust for £445 but I havn't checked if they have them in stock or they have to order 5 from Janspeed yet. The alternative would be the Che twin exit centre exhaust. $360 + $155 shipping (~ £320). Seems good value but the quality?

I would love to hear some advice for the following:

Which is best for quality?
Which is best for fit? (Che seems to need rear valance chopping?)
Which is best for performance?
Which is best way to get hold of a Janspeed?
How many fibres are intertwined in a Shreaded Wheat biscuit?
Is there a God?

Thanks listening,

Dave.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Wabbitkilla

Apparently there is a God and she has a great sense of humour.
I've yet to see any concrete evidence she exists, but I can understand the sense of humour.

Anyway, the Janspeed is a nicely put together exhaust, but remember it removes your main catalyst and doesn't have one built in (a Janspeed salesman lied to me). Have you tried contacting them directly to see if you can order one?

The Che exhaust is a cheaper manufacture and there have been problems with fitting, but Che is a great guy to deal with and gives after sales service second to none. But does allow you to keep your main catalyst and/or change to a sports catalyst.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Welcome and some pics here.     l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30042 l

dcod

Hi WabbitKiller,

Thanks for the info ... replaces the cat!? That surprises me, even on the europerformance site they call it a full/catback exhaust. I always thought a catback attaches straight to the existing cat. dcperformance have the SS513 and SS513R. The SS513 being a full system and the SS513R being a backbox. Unfortunately they use the same picture for both. Tried asking them, even specifying the exact type of exhaust I wanted, and they were very wooly and didn't really make anything clearer. Maybe I'll talk to Janspeed themselves ...

I saw the Che for sale by  w www.Monkeywrenchracing.com w  in the US. Who is this Che guy? Does he work there? Is he God? or does he have his own website?

Once again thanks for the info WabbitKiller.

Hi Life of Bryan,

Thanks for the link. I notice it was your post ... and what very good one it is too, I'm surprised noone did it before.

"I'M BRYAN AND SO'S MY WIFE!"

Dave.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Anonymous

cat back would be true the way your thinkin if u stil got ur pre cats in. lol but the janspeed does replace the main cat but you can weld a sports cat in place of one of the boxs.

uktotty

Che is a real guy and can be contacted on SpyderChat, like Nic said, dubious quality but great after sales, just bear in mind we are a long way from the USA for for returns.
Janespeed is great but loud, constantly loud.
Nice tune and good construction

dcod

Hmmm, my last post just disapeared. Does that happen often?

Hi rbuckingham, lol, I see where your coming from! I like the cut of ya jib.

Hi uktotty, thanks for that info, looks like I'll probably go for the Che. Do you know if any have been returned before? Going by my general luck there will probably be something wrong with it!

Thanks everyone for all the info!

Dave

AmeR

Quote from: "dcod"How many fibres are intertwined in a Shreaded Wheat biscuit?

Why has nobody answered this yet? I'm so intrigued!!

Sorry, not much advice on the exhaust front although the Che twin centre does look great IMO, and sounds lovely!!

dcod

Hi AmeR, thanks for the response about the Che, for that I shall go buy a box and count how many fibres. BTW just if you didn't know, there are 342 in a box of normal Shreddies ... not including the toy.

mrzwei

There was a guy on here about three years ago who had trouble fitting the Che twin centre outlet exhaust because it had been wrongly jigged. iirc Che told him to keep the old one and sent him a new replacement. His name was Tom Deas and it was 2008 I think. It was a bit of a saga but it had a happy ending and I think he even posted the sound on utube. I only remember because he bought a couple of bits from me. I had a quick search but I cant find the thread.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Wabbitkilla

Here you go
 l viewtopic.php?t=21448 l
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

dcod

Thanks for info mrzwei and WabbitKiller, will read through the topic. This Che guy sounds like a decent guy to deal with.

Just found this:  m http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0561949808 m

It's being sold by a one "Jen Che Lin"  s:) :) s:)

Wabbitkilla

That's the guy, may be worth contacting him through Prolex Dave or Spyderchat to see if a deal can be done   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

dcod

I've sent him a message on ebay to find out about shipping ... I happened to mention he was highly recommended by some great people on mr2roc.  s:) :) s:)

custardavenger

I have the Janspeed. I can probably show you it one weekend when I'm in salisbury. I contacted them direct and they were very good. It is loud.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

dcod

Hi custardavenger, I would love to check that exhaust out. My question now about that exhaust is the impact of losing the cat. Do you have no cat (emissions?) or do you have a replacement cat (sport cat?). Cheers for the response.

custardavenger

The best bet would be to contact Janspeed and ask them to build one with a Cat in it. Not sure on cost for that though.
Project Custard Clicky

dcod

Hmmm, an idea but the Janspeed to me is expesive enough as it is. Looking like a Che to me.

custardavenger

Just noticed your first post. Buy from them direct, much cheaper and less hassle.
Project Custard Clicky

WillsSayers

I don't think the Janspeed is that loud. Certainly not as loud as my old Haywood & Scott, and at the last north-west meet we had here, most other cars put mine to shame! Granted I think (altho not confirmed, just going by what Andy told me when I bought his car) that my car has sports cat on.

It is a nice exhaust for sure though, some nice burbles and pops. Although I'd prefer an exhaust with exhaust tips on either side rather than the central tips.

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

dcod

Thanks for the info WillsSayers.

Had a reply from Che, exhaust is $360 +$135 shipping = $495 (~£305). Very happy with that. After sorting some rather important s**t out and buttering my wife up, I shall be placing an order.

Thanks everyone for your information and advice.  s:) :) s:)

WillsSayers

Also bear in mind that you may get slapped with an import tax. Can't remember what percentage of the value that is though, although I'm sure someone else will know!

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

dcod

Good point! I wonder if I can get Che to stick some shiny stars on it and wrap it in birthday paper ... you don't have to pay import tax on gifts!

Wabbitkilla

Tax is charged at vat rate plus handling fees our end.
  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

dcod

In the immortal words of Rik mayall "Who'd be me!"  s:( :( s:(

Tags: