Anyone rewire headlights to be ignition powered?

Started by Anonymous, April 3, 2004, 00:03

Anonymous

Maybe just a nuisance, but I have to change this.

After years of driving Italian (cheap Fiats) and German cars I've gotten used to and prefer headlights being inoperable without key in ignition "on" position.  (Turn off car and lights turn off as well.)  Only the parking lights function at the first click without key for safety purposes.

Surely this could be rewired, but just seeing if anyone else has done this modification and found some better wire than another to splice into since headlights take a large current.  This is on a US 2002 Spyder.

I don't know if your Roadsters are wired the same way as ours.  Are Lotus or Jaguar (pre-Ford) headlights ignition powered?  I never owned one of them.

Anonymous

yeah fords are definately ingnition powered. I find this quite annoying aswell, cos you could be sitting in your car with the engine off and headlights on and draining the battery without knowing

Anonymous

Quote from: "street_carp"Maybe just a nuisance, but I have to change this.

After years of driving Italian (cheap Fiats) and German cars I've gotten used to and prefer headlights being inoperable without key in ignition "on" position.  (Turn off car and lights turn off as well.)  Only the parking lights function at the first click without key for safety purposes.

Surely this could be rewired, but just seeing if anyone else has done this modification and found some better wire than another to splice into since headlights take a large current.  This is on a US 2002 Spyder.

I don't know if your Roadsters are wired the same way as ours.  Are Lotus or Jaguar (pre-Ford) headlights ignition powered?  I never owned one of them.

You need to dig into the details   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
Here Is a wiring diagramm, I modified to get the 2003-headlights "running properly" in a 2000-modell...

wiring diagramm

be smart and and do it w/ an additional relais   s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)    s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Thanks, Eifel-Roadster.  Even though I've replaced/rebuilt almost every mechanical part in older Fiat Spiders I am sort of electronically illiterate.  I actually set an X1/9 on fire years ago during a simple fog light install when it shorted.  When I understand relays and voltages better this diagram should be exactly what I need.
Thanks again,
Matt

Tags: