OBDII Diagnostics

Started by Anonymous, April 7, 2004, 11:53

Anonymous

Folks,

Been thinking about a little project for the '2 (which I actually intended to start for my old Scoob but never did so you see how likely this is to get off the ground!).

Been thinking about writing/building an OBDII port controller/reader/writer thing and handling the data via laptop/pocketPC. Bit pie in the sky at the mo, but been looking at some of the source code on sourceforge.net that does similar things and thinking of using it / adapting it for the '2. Would this be of any use to anyone or is the information obtained via OBDII not that useful?

Does anybody have any experience of OBDII protocols? Is there anywhere that defines what values are obtainable or is it a trial and error thing?

I've found details on how to build the interface cable without costing too much, and the software will come from open source and out of my head.

One of the things I intended to do in the Scoob was to have an LCD touch screen, run an in car PC and have MP3s controlled by the screen, Sat Nav and the OBDII diagnostics in real time. There ain't that much room in the '2 for an incar PC so that's probably out of the window.

Just mulling the ideas over so if anyone has, or can point me to, any useful information then it would be appreciated. If I can get into this project, and time will allow, then it should be good. I'm just crap at starting things like this   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Cheers

Steve

Anonymous

Tem

This site should answer all your questions  s8) 8) s8)

m http://www.obdii.com/ m

I thought about the idea myself, but you can find those software for free these days, so I didn't bother. Still don't have the hardware though...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

kris,

Are those just the fault codes or are they used to check current values?

New to all this so still a bit green   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Tem, I have that site bookmarked already but not read through it all yet!

I guess I have a lot more reading to do  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hanslow"kris,

Are those just the fault codes or are they used to check current values?

New to all this so still a bit green   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

aint got a scooby doo mate... this is as far as my knowledge reaches

Mph: "can you put these on the web site" *supplies list*
Kris: "ok"

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"aint got a scooby doo mate... this is as far as my knowledge reaches

Mph: "can you put these on the web site" *supplies list*
Kris: "ok"

Kris, it never got off the ground with the Scoob as some other people did it as a commercial venture before I even got started  s:( :( s:(

LOL @ conversation   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Gonna have a ferret and see what things I can find on the web. At least I now have access to a list of trouble codes which is a start  s;) ;) s;)

Tem

Quote from: "Hanslow"Tem, I have that site bookmarked already but not read through it all yet!

I guess I have a lot more reading to do  s;) ;) s;)

Check the forum on that site, there's a lot of info in there.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

DAZ400

I am was in electronics and embedded software and was going to build and write some software then came accross the SCANTOOL product from grendan uses a specific microntroller already with the embedded protocol translater done and in a nice box all for I think £90 plug into laptop use the free software and go I have it and it is great.

Reads all DTC's and resets codes reads all sensors etc Fantastic.

Link is :  m http://www.gendandirect.co.uk/viewprodu ... uct=STNISO m

s:D :D s:D
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Tags: