Sad day for my 2

Started by skinz, June 28, 2011, 20:47

skinz

Alright guys, not been active for a while due to nightshift but a sad update brings me back to the forum...

Out driving on saturday nosing out into the road as a van was blocking the view from the junction, sadly nosed out too far without noticing a private hire taxi and as a result my front end is mangled... in the hands of my insurance atm unfortunately my large excess = low premium thought process has caught up with me so 4-figure sum if it can be repaired and subsequently lost 2yrs of my 4yrs ncb as a result.

Anyway here's some pics indicating the damage which can be sustained from getting a shunt at around 20-30mph - needless to say the vw passat came off a lot less worse with a damaged bumper/wing and popped tyre.

The 2 as you can see has:
2x damaged wings
2x broken headlights
1x broken bumper
1x mangled bonnet

n/s door is knocking when open and o/s is only opening 1/2 way due to everything being shunted along - other than that Im not quite 100% sure about chasis damage yet, but the bar where the bonnet catch is has bent up in the middle :s

Considering within the last year it has had the following mods (luckily all declared) I am needless to say gutted...

BC racing coils
TRD 'style' spoiler
Facelift vents/rear inserts
Cobra quad exhaust
Decentz Alloys with 4x spanking new T1R's
AEM Induction

nathanMR2

That sucks mate. Sorry to hear about your car  s:( :( s:(
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

AmeR

Gutted for you!! Poor lil motor!

bigwillcv36

Aw mate, feel bad for you.

That sucks  s:-( :-( s:-(
Will
04 Sable RED Ltd Ed, RED leather seats steering wheel and panels, RED soft top, RED brake calipers, after Market panel filter, gutted pre cats, FK Automotive lowering springs, custom sable j-spec nose badge, partially de-badged rear, sable indies, front strut brace, cobra sport quad exhaust, TRD Short Shifter, Bonnet/Engine cover Gas Struts

PeteT

Bugger, I feel for you. Hope you get something sorted soon
Pete

Ilogik

Dont look too bad mate, get some wings/bumper/bonnet off flea bay. Be interesting to see what the damage is like under the bumper.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

Curlytoppz

Ouch   s:( :( s:(    It might be salvagable.... let's hope so

puma2

very sad to hear about this the pics upseting, lets no how you get on with it all  s:( :( s:(

catkins

How on earth did the Passat hit you to cause that damage?! If you were edging out slowly, he must have seen you from ages off, surely?
[size=150]Clare[/size]

2001 Y reg MR-2, metallic blue.  Owned since March 2010.  Loving every mile!

Anonymous

I know the feeling well  s:( :( s:(  I hope your insurance is better than mine, I'm still none the wiser after nearly a month  s:? :? s:?   at least your car is here and not over a thousand miles away   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

skinz

Cheers for the sympathy vote guys - will call up tomorrow and see if I can get more info if the garage is going to repair it or not -  gutted that its amazing weather atm perfect for top-down action - pita lyk

Quote from: "catkins"How on earth did the Passat hit you to cause that damage?! If you were edging out slowly, he must have seen you from ages off, surely?
Its a strange one tbh, as I could not see him at all, there was a golf indicating to go onto the road I was pulling out from and thats when i nosed out - so all i can presume is that the passat was up the golfs arse in the bus lane until its indicator went on and then he's overtook the golf. - Perfect speed/angle for me not to see him, such a petty accident lol thought if I was going to crash within 7years of driving it would have been a 70+mph fireball flying through a billboard :p

Quote from: "Les"I know the feeling well  s:( :( s:(  I hope your insurance is better than mine, I'm still none the wiser after nearly a month  s:? :? s:?   at least your car is here and not over a thousand miles away   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Im with admiral and so far have had emails regarding the accident from them within 24hours of reporting it, car got picked up within 48hours so hoping this can be sorted out within the month (july) - going to work a t in the park on fri/sat this week for 2-3weeks so ideally be chasing them to have it fixed for then (if its fixable)

Stephster

Commiserations and let us know how you get on. Would also be interested in how efficient Admiral are, as have multicar with them now.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

stargazer30

The real bummer is admiral won't replace his mods either   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Stephster

Why won't they replace the mods if he has declared them ?
I don't have any mods, but I was told that the value you put down for the car is the tops they will pay out in case of claim - so is that why ?
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

philster_d

It will depend on your policy. Declaring is not the same as covering.

WRT repairs; The front girder for example is incredibly cheap from toyota, putting this one back together might not be impossible. For the OP the issue seems it may more be an insurance one. if they were already on the limit with the special arrangements mentioned this loss may push ownership beyond the realms of practicality for now.

Phil

catkins

Quote from: "skinz"
Quote from: "catkins"How on earth did the Passat hit you to cause that damage?! If you were edging out slowly, he must have seen you from ages off, surely?
Its a strange one tbh, as I could not see him at all, there was a golf indicating to go onto the road I was pulling out from and thats when i nosed out - so all i can presume is that the passat was up the golfs arse in the bus lane until its indicator went on and then he's overtook the golf. - Perfect speed/angle for me not to see him, such a petty accident lol thought if I was going to crash within 7years of driving it would have been a 70+mph fireball flying through a billboard :p

So surely there is some fault to lie with the Passat?  The Passat was too close to the car in front to be able to see the traffic in the road ahead and see what was happening.  Thus he didnt have time to react to events occurring in front of him?  I would call that driving without due care and attention, personally... but thats just what I would argue *whistles*   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=150]Clare[/size]

2001 Y reg MR-2, metallic blue.  Owned since March 2010.  Loving every mile!

skinz

Clare - mentioned this to the insurance as this is what I thought was going on, but since I was on the 'minor' road looking to join the 'major' road it is seen 'legally' as my fault since I was joining the road.

As for mod coverage the policy only 'covered' the mods as philster said - which I was well aware of as this is what the majority of mainstream insurance companies do - where in the event of an accident any mods are simply replaced with standard parts. Only reason I was glad of covering them as because it ensured the validity of my insurance.

That said....

I recieved an email from admiral today stating that the car is a write-off, not spoke to the garage regarding there decision yet but I am presuming there was considerable chasis damage due to the impact from the driverside affecting the passengerside. So my sports/fun car days are over for the forseeable future due to the claim - out of interest I toyed about with confused.com and Im up to £500 fully comp for an aygo!! - not even looked at quotes for another MRS as I presume itll be above the £1.5k mark now.

Will update when I know more about if it is possible to grab some parts off it or if insurance will even consider the value of any of these (considering they have been on for less than 1yr and worth in excess of £2k rrp. and I have reciepts for everything) - even if they considered 50% of these I would probably accept, but Im doubtfull about the 'settlement' outcome.

Steve

cclarke99

Don't forget that the insurance has to put you back in the situation that yiou were in prior to the accident. So they have to pay you enough to buy an equivalent car. Logically this has to apply to any modifications which were declared to the insurer, unless specifically excluded in the small print. You were acting carefully in edging out of the junction, but thanks to the irresponsible behaviour of the other driver, you've lost a lot of money (with the excess and the mods). So if you think you have a reasonable chance of winning, claim against the other driver in the small claims court, you might only get back 50% of your losses, but it costs less than £100 to start the process. At least write to him stating your position and that you are considering a claim. See  m http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... /index.htm m . If you think you were acting carefully at the time and he was driving like an idiot, don't let him get away with it.

philster_d

Yes, negotiate with them like recently I brought new tyres and see the exhaust I just replaced 6 months ago, etc.

Good luck,
Phil

mrzwei

The logic already stated here stands ie the car pulling out of the minor road into the path of a car driving along the major road is at fault. Without witnesses that the other car was in some way driving without due care and attention, which will be strongly denied, then this goes nowhere.

The insurance company will put you back to the position you were in prior to the accident but, as you say, with the current value of the standard parts that were replaced. Had the mods not been declared then they could deduct the value of the standard parts replaced from any settlement or, more likely, not pay out.

IIRC the car is yours until you agree a settlement which means that you can take what you want from it??? But this will affect any settlement figure?? Don't really know, thats just thinking aloud. All I remember from my MGF write off was that once I''d settled the car was out of the garage like greased lightning   s:D :D s:D . The real bummer was that you don't get any refund on any time left on the policy which in my case had not long been renewed. (ie the insurance policy did exactly what it said it was going to do).

Good luck with the negotiation.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

So in five days you had your car recovered, assessed, written off and all but sorted? While after 28 days all I have is a wrong phone number to ring, no one has contacted me, all enquiries made by me have drawn a blank and the all singing all  dancing fully comp policy  I have isn't worth the paper it's written on so far   s:? :? s:?  

You could say I'm sligtly  spiss piss spiss ed of with insurance company   s:x :x s:x

skinz

Quote from: "mrzwei"IIRC the car is yours until you agree a settlement which means that you can take what you want from it??? But this will affect any settlement figure?? Don't really know, thats just thinking aloud. All I remember from my MGF write off was that once I''d settled the car was out of the garage like greased lightning   s:D :D s:D . The real bummer was that you don't get any refund on any time left on the policy which in my case had not long been renewed. (ie the insurance policy did exactly what it said it was going to do).

Good luck with the negotiation.

Wow same day update...here goes..

In regards to mrzwei - the guy from admiral said that I could take of the parts IF i replace them with the standard equivalent (which I have in my garage) - Happy Days!! But.... upon phoning the garage within 5mins of coming off the phone to insurance the guy said that they have already taken the car away - not so happy about this. But he did take out my basslink a CD and my tax disc - no big shakes but good of him to do so seeing he had no obligations.

Anyway insurance offered me a settlement of £3100 before the deduction my stupidly high excess of £1225 - resulting in a cheque for £1875 - which I of course declined and will decline yet again when he phones tomorrow considering now that the parts which I could have exchanged could have been sold on at 2nd hand value in the region of £500 - well off rrp but they were 2nd hand which I accept.

All that is left to do is agree a settlement figure and sign car over to them, but I have been doing research on the value of the car myself and the average between what car and glasses guide (glass.com) state the following (please note I entered my mileage of 48k into the following sites to gain a more accurate result - which is considerably low considering the car is 10yo):

£4285 from Dealership
£3595 from Private Sale

Understandibly the dealership is closer to the region which I paid for the car in a private sale last year, but notably the private sale value is more or less £400 more than what is being offered to me, so I intend to scour autotrader and similar sites to determine the value myself. Unfortunately my high excess/low premium gamble which I have used for the last 7years has caught up with me and I will have to take this blow - and as a result will be going for a much lower excess and claims protection - part of the learning curve that is life.

So far, apart from the settlement offer (which I expected to come in low before negotiations) I can say that Admiral have been pretty efficient in resloving this claim - and they are also dealing with the third part involved, communications have been clear and I have been given direct dials for those who are dealing with the claim process - and alothough I have had no experience of claiming in the past this may put some minds at ease of fellow member who have insured with Admiral - fingers crossed you never need to go through this process,

In regards to future driving I have been investigating potential buys (BMW 3 series compact/ renaultsport clio) - coming in as figures around £500 fully comp with claim declared (minus 2 of my 4yrs NCB) & 2 traffic offences from 2007 - sadly I think my MR2 ownership may be over for the next couple of years - but I do intend to buy another one - with intentions of bodykits/turbo so will have to wait until ncb's gets built up again.

Will update again when I know more & respond to any questions regarding this thread
Cheers
Steve

Anonymous

You should use this as a price example for your insurance.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:       m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-1- ... 282wt_1139 m

AmeR

What a bargain LoB!! Only probably twice the price that I wouldn't consider paying for it!! There's a 2000 near me up for 5k!! What's going on!?

deadmau5

Quote from: "AmeR"What a bargain LoB!! Only probably twice the price that I wouldn't consider paying for it!! There's a 2000 near me up for 5k!! What's going on!?

Have you seen that yellow 944 Club Sport for sale on Squires Gate? Only £4k!

Tags: