Tyres 215 or 225?

Started by nathanMR2, September 27, 2011, 13:50

nathanMR2

My rears are getting low and i assume they will be even lower after this weekend   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

So i need to order some new rear rubber.

Im currently running the following set up....

FRONT-
Wheels = 15" x 6.5 ET45
Tyres = Toyo Proxy TR1's 195/50/15

REAR-
Wheels = 16" x 7 ET38
Tyres = Toyo Proxy TR1's 215/40/16

The fronts have loads left on them but question is should a stay with the 215's width or would i be better going to 225's?
Only reason i ask is that the 225's are actually a whole £1.60 each cheaper   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Mike_V

The 225's will fit fine, they're cheaper so why not  s:) :) s:)
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

Anonymous

i would go 225 then thats £3.20 in the fuel tank to enjoy them  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

nathanMR2

Pro's and Con's of going with an even bigger tyre?

uktotty

more grip,  more grip, more grip

loadswine

I run 225/40s on my stock 16s and they are fine, quite like the look and the grip available is fine for me. ( and before anyone pulls me up on that, Yes I know that grip isn't just a function of tyre width)  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

AmeR

Quote from: "uktotty"more grip,  more grip, more grip

That's going to open up a debate that has been discussed elsewhere before!!

Nath, I've got a table at home somewhere that gives you a guide of appropriate sizes for the wheel width. You don't want it looking bloated if they're on the limit of the wheel!!

Anonymous

225 is the max on a 7J rim but still fine to run on and looks fine.

Wabbitkilla

I and others have had 225x40's on the standard rims for years, no problem ... and better stagger too   s:D :D s:D
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

You're dead right on being lower after an airfield day Nathan! You can always try my car for a taste of 225/40s if you like.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

225 Toyo's on mine too,no problems here.  s:D :D s:D

nathanMR2

So theres no Cons then. Guess thats sorted

Ill put my order in tomorrow

E

The only con since going 225 on mine is that the extra width manages to get some spray from surface water passed the mudflaps, no biggie but I know how clean you like to keep your car.

nathanMR2

I suffer from that with the rain from my current setup mate. If it rains enough the car needs cleaning again anyway with all that dirty rain we get   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Dyn-Evo

Quote from: "AmeR"
Quote from: "uktotty"more grip,  more grip, more grip

That's going to open up a debate that has been discussed elsewhere before!!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

scipio

I went from 215 to 225's because my 215's (Potenza's)only lasted 15k km's.....i was looking for more rubber and better longevity so I fitted 225's. At first she felt a bit ''wobbly'', perhaps too thin a wall (Kumho)? however, with time this has gone away or perhaps I have just got used to them.....bottom line is that I have put 15k km's on them and they are good for at least another 15! Definitely are lasting longer...fuel consumption is the same and handling is still awesome. Looks better with the wider tyre as well. I still have 15'' rims, 2002 model.   s:D :D s:D
Scipio

[size=85]Getaway - 2001 Silver H/Top - TRD  Twin Exhaust - TRD Chip - Gutted Pre-cats - Red Calipers - J-Spec badge[/size]

[size=85]Breakaway - 2008 Silver Hilux 3.0 D4-D Raider Double Cab[/size]

custardavenger

Been running 225's with my wheel since I bought them. Only down side I have had is that the wheels I have make them very difficult to fit. I had to drive to Demon tweeks last time for them to fit them and will probably have to again as they are almost due.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tags: