After Market radiator

Started by Steve, November 21, 2011, 09:20

Steve

Does anyone have any recommendations for a new up rated radiator? It needs to be efficient as possible for cooling.

Seems like most here are using a KOYO, has anybody used the Mishimoto one that Fensport sell & any recommendations on sellers for the Koyo rad?

Thanks in advance

MOD- moved to performance
2000 3sgte powered

DannyN

UKTotty has a link matey
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

ChrisGB

Cannot recommend any uprated ones, but are you sure the stock one its not up to the job? I replaced my stock one when I went turbo, simply because the old one had lost much of its a area of cooling fins to corrosion. Even with the turbo on, the fans very rarely operate. What sort of power mods have you got?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Steve

The stock one won't be up to muster I am afraid. The car will be a turbo & driven hard on a track so will need to keep the engine temps down
2000 3sgte powered

Anonymous

not that i can really answer your question. but it might be worth a try on the stock before upgrading as it is very good at cooling and might not need upgrading even for your use. but if cant keep up with the demand then be best to go koyo as it has been tested and works. or another option is to give a bell to pace as they will make it for you and are very good at what they do, they even used by the MOD for all there motors.

jonty

do you have the option of removing the frunk and ducting the rad out the bonnet? If you control the air flow out the back of the rad with some fairly simple ally sheet metalwork then that will probably make the standard radiator more than capable of coping with 250ish bhp.

Jonty

Steve

Thanks all, have decided to go with the Mishimoto one from Fensport. I have ordered from them quite a bit in the past & have always received good service.

The frunk junk has been removed & will be hoping for a border type bonnet in the near future that will force air through & keep the nose more planted.
2000 3sgte powered

vinp182

Any chance of a quick review of the quality and fitting please dude once its on the car?

Cheers  s:) :) s:)
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Steve

No problems, will be doing a bit of a write up on the build further into the project.
2000 3sgte powered

ChrisGB

Quote from: "stevel48"Thanks all, have decided to go with the Mishimoto one from Fensport. I have ordered from them quite a bit in the past & have always received good service.

The frunk junk has been removed & will be hoping for a border type bonnet in the near future that will force air through & keep the nose more planted.

The removal of the stuff in the front is going to leave the car very understeer biased. Moving the battery to the front would help counter this. As far as getting downforce on the front goes, you are going to need ducting behind the splitter / grill to stop the air leaking out under the car and force it upward through the bonnet. Could still be a horror story of understeer in the slower corners though.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Steve

Some good points Chris, this is where the MK3 is going to be a huge learning curve  s:? :? s:?  

I just about got to grips with my mk2 turbo & most times would catch the rear end when it stepped out.

Battery relocation is happening & will be leaving the standard one for  the weight.
I won't try to reinvent the wheel & will be copying some already proven designs. After all I can only just spell aerodynamicist let alone pretend I could be one.    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Steve
2000 3sgte powered

dj2k21

I'm using 2 C-one radiators in mine, 1 for the engine but I modified the fan by adding the air con fan because mycardidnot haveaircon as standard and running both fans together, I also have a switch inside the car for high and low boost maps, the fans come on earlier in high boost. The second radiators for my charge cooler, the water exits the radiator and goes into my Davies Craig V8 water pump and is then pumped to the rear of the car and into the charge cooler, the water pump is also controlled by the switch. I think charge cooling may be a good option for you for track use as it offers constant cooling even when sat still on the grid. With an intercooler obviously your relying more on cold air against your cooler
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

jonty

I don't get this stuff about taking weight out the front making it understeer, as physics says if you decrease the load on a tyre then it will make proportionally more grip (or another way; the more load on a tyre the proportionally less grip it gives- which is why doubling force on the tyre doesn't let you go twice as fast) which means more rear bias = more oversteer

there must be a funny aero thing (or something else we aren't considering) going on if this understeer on frunk removal effect is true rather than presumed, so I am intrigued to find out- you guys have been driving these cars for longer than I have, so bow to your greater knowledge, I am just a bit baffled by it!!

anyone want to volunteer to stick a big bag of cement in the frunk on their next trackday to get an extreme scenario answer for me??!

Jonty

ChrisGB

Quote from: "jonty"I don't get this stuff about taking weight out the front making it understeer, as physics says if you decrease the load on a tyre then it will make proportionally more grip (or another way; the more load on a tyre the proportionally less grip it gives- which is why doubling force on the tyre doesn't let you go twice as fast) which means more rear bias = more oversteer

there must be a funny aero thing (or something else we aren't considering) going on if this understeer on frunk removal effect is true rather than presumed, so I am intrigued to find out- you guys have been driving these cars for longer than I have, so bow to your greater knowledge, I am just a bit baffled by it!!

anyone want to volunteer to stick a big bag of cement in the frunk on their next trackday to get an extreme scenario answer for me??!

Jonty

You get less weight over the front wheels, you reduce the amount of force acting downward on the wheels (relative to the rear wheels) you get understeer. True that you also get more moment of inertia in the front end, but the key is the balance. Moving the tool kit to the frunk helps a bit. For a wet track day, adding a 5L bottle of water makes a noticeable improvement. Maybe not such a good thing on road where you may prefer an understeer safety net.

Chris

uktotty

Quote from: "DannyN"UKTotty has a link matey

LOL that one I bought was a POS!
Stick with Koyo, they fit!

Steve

Quote from: "vinp182"Any chance of a quick review of the quality and fitting please dude once its on the car?

The penny has just dropped, been chatting to you on IMOC ref GT-wing

The rad has been fitted & was told it was good, that is as much as I know. I didn't have much time to talk over the phone.

Not very clear but its shiney   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2000 3sgte powered

vinp182

Quote from: "stevel48"
Quote from: "vinp182"Any chance of a quick review of the quality and fitting please dude once its on the car?

The penny has just dropped, been chatting to you on IMOC ref GT-wing

I didn't realise that either lol

Rad looks great dude  s:) :) s:)

What are you entering? championships? super gt?
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Tags: