My 2012 sprint car

Started by Steve, January 3, 2012, 23:34

Steve

I thought I would share my ongoing sprint car project, might not be everybody's cup of tea but I will update this as it progresses.

I have been competing in the Toyota sprint series since their first season in 2008. My weapon of choice was my daily drive a 1994 tin top mr2 turbo.  Over the next couple of years it was turned into a dedicated sprint car.

I decided midway the 2011 season that I wanted a different sprint car for 2012 & was drawn to the mk3.

From my point of view this choice of car has a number of  hurdles to jump.  To compete in the TSS with a mk3 the reg's state a roll cage must be fitted something I wasnt keen on doing.
I also had concerns about the engine being up to the abuse that will be dished out as well as being competitive againt the pesky GT4's so this would need to be addressed.
I decided to take a risk & picked up a tidy mk3 for £1200 that came with a hardtop & the first thing was to get the car to Rogue Motorsports to be stripped down

Now to address the engine!  
I thought about going down the V6 route but in the end decided to drop in a 3S GTE, my mk2 being the donor for this conversion.
To be able to fit this, serious modifications to the rear chassis would need to be done

Now ready for the engine

A snug fit

Charge cooler, exhaust & Teins now fitted

What once was a Berk down pipe & a Mongoose exhuast

Once all the car is back together I will be fitting new poly bushes all round & new anti roll bars.Then should be ready for some testing on the track
2000 3sgte powered

nathanMR2

Looks neat mate. Keep the pictures coming  s:D :D s:D
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

dcod

Cool. Looking forward to the detailed build and finished product. Thanks for sharing, much appreciated.   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Wabbitkilla

Looking good .... will be great to see it running   s:D :D s:D
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

vinp182

I like it a lot   s:D :D s:D  

I enquired about the TSS for 2012 for my mk3 but they put me in category A1 which meant I'd be up against the big boys lol...... I also didn't fancy having a roll cage in my every day car

I have new plans now but they mean I prob won't race untill the 2013 season - I also think I'll be entering the mr2 championships mainly and the TSS when I can afford the extra   s:) :) s:)  

Just out of interest, how much do Rogue charge for a mk3 cage?

Vinny
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Steve

Vinny, for this season there will now be a new 'Pro Tuner' class placed above A1 so you wouldn't be competing against the big, big boys but I fully understand what you are saying about a roll cage in your daily drive. This is the reason why no one with a MK3 has signed up for a season before, although Patrick @ Rogue brought the Britcar to Rockingham last season & humbled a few of us. I am leading towards competing in the super GT series in 2013 so will be concentrating on my race craft this year; well I have to find some first.
Rogue charged me £620+vat for the roll cage & having heard how well the mk2 roll cage has worked in races, I feel confident this will offer me the best protection I could hope for.
I may join you at Bedford in March so you can have a look for yourself.
2000 3sgte powered

Steve

The engine's first turnover in its new home  
 m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h16QwWUE ... e=youtu.be m
2000 3sgte powered

Ilogik

Are you using the link mate?  Sounds ace. Great swap but costs do much to do.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

vinp182

Is that the price to buy the cage or supply and fit?

I think Rogue are the only ones that do them so either way its not a bad price

Be good to see you and you're car at Bedford... I'd love to get a passenger ride if you have a passenger seat   s:D :D s:D
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Anonymous

I'm surprised no one mentioned wow nice engine swap!!!  That's a proper 2.0ltr 3sgte with an air to water intercooler in there!!!  

You think Rouge would ship one of their roll cages stateside??  I somehow have more faith in a cage done by people that race mr2's then the fab shop down the street.  They tend to add too much weight and well sorta kinda guess what would work best in a roll over situation.

Ilogik

contact Rogue revision6.com for prices on shipping to the states, i'm pretty sure they would if required. As for the engine swap it has been done a couple of times before so indeed wow but not a first   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Check out Rowlands build he has a nice silver one too done by Rogue.
Current: Genuine GT300 Monocraft running a 2ZZ-GE
Ex: Trial kitted Cam\'d Power fc
Ex: TRD stage 1 TTE Turbo

dcod

Has Rogue just put up a pic of your car on Facebook?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Steve

Quote from: "dcod"Has Rogue just put up a pic of your car on Facebook?

Yes, that's mine having the new engine run in,  I Will be driving the car around Silverstone tommorow for the first time since it went into Rogue's   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Should be very interesting how the roadster handles compared to my Mk2 turbo.
2000 3sgte powered

PaullyP2010

Great to meet you today Steve,
And great to see you putting the car through it's paces at Silverstone!!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  
Thanks for the door cards, spot on  s:D :D s:D  

Cheers,
Paul
2003 Sable Grey
Built 2ZZ Turbo with lots of other goodies.........

Steve

Quote from: "PaullyP2010"Great to meet you today Steve,
Paul

Likewise Paul, Sorry I didn't make the connection ref the wheels at first lol

What a fantastic day, the car met all my expectations & a credit to the guys at Rogue.
The handling is far better than my Mk2 ever was & dare I say easier to drive.
Patrick @ Rogue took the car out & it handles even better for him so I know what area I need to work on now!
Being one of the first track days of the year it was full of seasoned racers that made the first couple sessions a little intimidating. As the day progressed so did my confidence & was generally going a good pace.
One issue that reared its head was fuel surge when the tank got down to a ¼ full, in sprinting I am used to running as little fuel as possible on each run so I will need to research into a swirl pot.
In the afternoon I got to have a passenger ride in the Britcar, now that car shifts!
2000 3sgte powered

dlivingstone_19

Project looks great.

Did you go out in the Forza 4 MR2 MK3 Britcar? That car is quick and looks brilliant.

Cheers
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

Steve

Quote from: "dlivingstone_19"Project looks great.

Did you go out in the Forza 4 MR2 MK3 Britcar? That car is quick and looks brilliant.

Cheers

Yes I did, Alric took me out in the Britcar for a few laps. It is a very quick car & handled extremely well.  Although the car was running on slicks it has shown me what can be achieved with some aerodynamics & descent set up.

I have completed this years first round of the Toyota Sprint series at Woodgridge & the car's first real test.

Woodbridge is a 2 hour drive each way & drove there and back with a day of sprinting sandwiched between the two. The car performed very well & caused a few surprises after the first runs.

I came 3rd in class & 6th overall. The 2 cars that beat me in my class were Celica GT4's running in circa of 370 bhp , in fact all top 5 competitors are in similarly tuned cars.
So a great start to the sprint year & hopefully I will improve against the Gt4's especially on tracks that have less loose stones etc on them.  
A link if anyone is interested
 m http://www.toyotasprint.com/tss/index.p ... Itemid=114 m

Next round Blyton 13/05/12
2000 3sgte powered

dlivingstone_19

Good result for the first round of the year.

It's good how you drove the car to the event, sprinted and drove home. Shows how good the MR2 is. Upload some more pictures of what work you have carried out and some of the sprints if you have some.

When it the Britcar championship 1st round? When are they coming to Brands Hatch? I guess slicks does make a huge difference. The Britcar does look awesome. I'm just starting to get involved in track days in my MR2 but might look at getting further involved soon.

Any advice you can give me on how to set up the car? It's standard at the moment apart from Exhaust, Intake pipe modified and lowering springs? PM so I don't ruin your thread  :-) :-) :-)
** Racing in the Caterham Academy for 2013 Thanks to Pistonheads, Autosport and Caterham **

Toyota MRS Spec:
Trd front splitter, Trd Side skirts, Trd Rear Spoiler, New style Rear Lights, 17inch Dezent Motion Black Alloys, Cobra Quad Exit Exhaust System, Markiii Inlet Pipe & Sony Cd Player

Jubal

Have you got any better pics you can share? Am interested in the roll cage too. Does it rob head or leg room?

Steve

I will get some pictures on showing the interior & roll cage at the weekend.
I'm 5.9 & I have plenty of headroom even with a helmet on but I do sit lower with the Sparco seat fitted so this gives a little space back. There are taller drivers in th MR2 championship series using these cages. It dosent affect leg room just have to learn how to climb into the car gracefully.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2000 3sgte powered

Tags: