Loads of tyre questions

Started by Anonymous, April 23, 2004, 18:37

Anonymous

Guys

I have been scanning down the Tyre Review looking for any reports on the Bridgstone Potenza RE720. According to the "guidance only" information on the Bridgestone web-site ( m http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/ m )   they suggest this tyre and not the RE040. Has anyone had experience of the RE720 and what are the differences between the two? (RE040 on the car at the moment). The S-03PP is listed in their tyre sizes, but there isn't a 185/55/R15. I have seen some members say they fitted S-02, but there is no mention of these in the review. Are they still made and how do they compare with the RE720 or RE040?

Following the read-up in the review I have also been looking on the Goodyear web-site at the Eagle F1 GS-D2
 m http://www.goodyear.co.uk/services/tyre ... ewCar.html m
(D3 not available for 15" 185/55 and 205/50). Front is 82V and back 86W. According to their chart the Eagle F1 is suitable for speeds in excess of 150 mph! The Ventura is not made for 205/50/15 and Eagle NCT 5 not made for 185/55/15, so If I want to stick with 15" wheels and change to Goodyear it looks like it's got to be the F1 GS-D2. Does anyone have any experience of these tyres compared withe the Bridgestone RE720s?

Does anyone have any experience of BFGoodrich as a high-performance tyre?
 m http://www.bfgoodrichtyres.co.uk/servle ... datefin=.. m .                                            They don't appear to make a tyre for the Roadster.

Any answers to this lot may take me some time to absorb  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Thanks in advance.
 s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

fstsven

I can't answer your questions directly; however I tried quite a lot of makes and types over the years, so here are some of my thoughts:

Bridgestone: I had Potenza S02's on my Celica and was very pleased with them. However, they don't make these anymore, they were replaced by the S03, which aren't nearly as good (a step backwards, then   s:? :? s:?   )   So if I were you... nope, not these

Goodyear: Had respectively the GS-D2 and the GS-D3 (on the Celica).  Fell in love with the D2's, and later on learnt that the D3's were even better   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    (superior resistance to aquaplaning and less give in the sidewalls, plus a rim protector).  Decided then and there it was going to be the GSD3 forever.  Tried to get them on my MR to replace the frankly crap stock Yoko's (they weren't even worn halfway yet; I just hated them and had to get rid of them), and, sadly, was told they weren't available in the right sizes   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    (185/55 15 and 205/50 15 in my case).  So I had to go back to gs-d2's.  I wouldn't want to swap 'em for anything (though I'll be first in line for GSD3's when they eventually become available).  The sidewall could be a bit stiffer though; I run them with slightly higher pressures to compensate   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:     s:) :) s:)  

Here is a short listing of all the tyres I tried on the performance cars I had so far (Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI, Toyota Celica 2.0 GT, and now Toyota MR)
    *Michelin pilot SX: reasonable dry, but squeely; not very good wet
    *Pirelli P5000 drago: reasonable dry, pretty good wet, high wear rate
    *Pirelli P7000: cfr. above, but more expensive
    *Toyo proxes T1-S: very good dry; pretty good wet; very noisy
    *Fulda carat extremo: my dealer recommended them, they were cheap, I bought them, I threw 'em away after 3000 miles...  s:!: :!: s:!:    'nuff said
    *Falken "don't know the type anymore" : bad dry; lethal in the wet
    *Bridgestone Potenza S02: VERY good, wet or dry.  Liked 'em
    *GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D2:  the BEST!
    *Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3:  the BEST made even BETTER  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

That's my experience, hope it'll help
Cheers     s8) 8) s8)
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

fstsven

Oops, forgot the stock Yoko's that came with the MR...    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

On second thought, maybe best forgotten...    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:     s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

Anonymous

there really arent enough tyre reviews, please people try to post more tyre reviews to the thread:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3313 m

Anonymous

To get the Eagle F1 GSD3's on the MR2,
what do you guys think about going 195/50 15 (the size they're available in) all around?

thanks,

markiii

brilliant if you like ditches  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

s:) :) s:)  

but on a more serious note, why wouldn't you recommend it? does it really make a big difference?

I have asked a couple of my friends, they've all said that it won't make much, if any, difference other than maybe a slight slight decrease in grip due to a thinner rear wheel.

I really need to know because I have actually ordered the GSD3's and am scheduled to have them fitted tuesday.

thanks,

btw: I don't do tracks

markiii

the difference isn't so much that you'l have less grip persee.

more that you'll have less grip relative to the front.

what that will mean is that the car will be way more prone to oversteer, and I'm not just talking about on the limit handling. In teh wet, coming off roundabouts, or if you apply the power while going round a bend. all are times your going to notice it.

there was a guys on SC DMC12Mk3 if I remember rightly, who had 205 all round, claimed it was no problem then lost control and rolled thecar.

thats a drastic example, but tyres are the only thing keeping you on teh road, and the only thing allowing you to exploit the reason you bought the car.

personally I wouldn't go there.

It's going to be a totally different car to drive.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

The part about the oversteer had already crossed my mind. But when asking the dealer from who I bought the tires, he said 'no that won't be a problem', I know him very well so I took his word for it. Suppose I should've come on the board and asked you guys first.

Having just read the 'Tyre Review' page, first thing tomorrow I'll call and see if I can change to the GSD2's and have the appropriate sizes.

thanks for setting me straight Mark   s:P :P s:P    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Juust make sure that if you get slightly wider front, you do the same for the back... for example, TTE for their wheels for MR2 reccomends 205 front and 225 back, etc...

BTW - when you listen to other people's advice, remember that not many of them drive sub 2250lbs rear wheel/mid engine car which has a lot different weight distribution than most other cars on the road...  s:) :) s:)

I wish someone with S03 experiences would post review about them (hint to everyone), since I can get Bridgestones easily and with an discount, just in time for summer...

Anonymous

Well it's all been taken care off now, I was able to get the GSD2's instead (in correct sizes).
As before, I'll have them fitted tomorrow. Can't wait as I'm glad to get rid of the stock yoko's which are btw very very worn out ( All four of them are actually illegal now). Have no center pattern left on rear tires and the fronts looked very good expect for some reason the inner pattern is completely gone  s:? :? s:?   Will be getting an alignement aswell to prevent that from happening again.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RedRaceR"Have no center pattern left on rear tires and the fronts looked very good expect for some reason the inner pattern is completely gone  s:? :? s:?   Will be getting an alignement aswell to prevent that from happening again.

If your inner tread has completely gone, then it sounds very much like your tires have been over inflated for quite some time.

I always seem to lose the outside tread on my nearside front tyre first, but that's just caused by rather too many enthustically taken roundabouts!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

AFAIK the suspension setup on the roadster is such that the inside of the tyre is used to give extra "bite" when going into corners, as such it's the bit that wears the quickest.

Anonymous

It is quite interesting that we all have quite different variations in tyre wear, I've never been in the position of "knowing"  s:D :D s:D   so many people with the same car to share experiences!

I have to say that I've never noticed the inside edge of my front tyres wearing at all.. but mabye I just shred the rest of the tread before it has a chance to wear as designed!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Mind you, I'm only on my 3rd set of front tyres after 51000 miles, and the factory Yokos were changed after about 7k due to a terminal puncture in one..  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Tem

Quote from: "spwolf"TTE for their wheels for MR2 reccomends 205 front and 225 back

I wish someone with S03 experiences would post review about them (hint to everyone), since I can get Bridgestones easily and with an discount, just in time for summer...

I have 205/225 S03's...in short, their wet grip is equal to stock Yokos in dry  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  In dry they stick better than a bubblegum in hair...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I have RE720 on rear!  The only think I can say,this tyre is very very good on wet and dry!  Sure I will buy again, no prob!  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

These are new semiracing Toyo tyres also for street use, available in Italy and also in other countries, i think, from June 2004:
http://www.toyo.com.au/RacePDFs/Trampio%20R881.pdf.
Any advice is appreciated.  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Maurizio"These are new semiracing Toyo tyres also for street use, available in Italy and also in other countries, i think, from June 2004:
http://www.toyo.com.au/RacePDFs/Trampio%20R881.pdf.
Any advice is appreciated.  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:
How long would these last on the road as they are only have a 5mm tread from new and are probably made from a pretty soft compound  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Better handling and driving security are priceless, particularly if you like to run fast. More wear and noise and high price are the cost to pay. It's a choice matter.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: