My shot at vinyl wrapping!

Started by Mr X, February 28, 2012, 20:51

Mr X

well... I took a panel off to see if the roll I brought off fleabay is any good.

to:

Conclusion:
only and hours work and better than spending £800+!

Notes:
 1. doing this off the car probably twice as hard as the vinyl sticks like F£$KING S"£T to a blanket and the panel will fall off all over the place!
 2. the one and only valid reason a bloke should buy a hair dryer! Godsend!
 3. I did it with no tools (once panel off) bar a razorblade! and te hair dryer obviously   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
 4. Make sure you clean about 1" behind the panel too so when you fold it over it sticks well.
 5. Watch this space!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

s12vea

Looks interesting keep up the good work!
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Anonymous

Well done Mr X! Remember that asian god with all the arms? Wouldn't she come in handy! I dont know how you did this with only one pair. If you could loosen the panel off the car, do the bulk of the work, then take it off for the edge wrapping....

uktotty

if it sticks too much then spray soap water onto the panel, it allows for movement and evaporates

Mr X

Quote from: "uktotty"if it sticks too much then spray soap water onto the panel, it allows for movement and evaporates

Can't use soap or anything like that mate, unlike window tint this stuff stretches under heat and also shrinks when heated (without tension. If you was to put soap on it, when you heat and stretch it over it wont stick in place.
Tonight when I do the other side, I'm going to G clap it to my workmate.
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

dcod

That looks great. Hats off to you Sir!
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

FuZZy_gr

Put some clear turn signals on too!

dcod

Quote from: "FuZZy_gr"Put some clear turn signals on too!

Good point, but how about black crystal.   s:D :D s:D  

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crystal-Black ... 20c31f3cf0 m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

FuZZy_gr

Go for it!!

Mr X

Thanks for the feedback guys  s:) :) s:)
I've got both front wings done and half way through the front bumper, I had to sand and fill some dents but its coming along nice!
Those black tickers look awesome!!
Do the mk2 ones fit the Mk3?? I had 2 Mk2s but they were both turbos so didn't have them. Those would look the nuts!
  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

Mr X

I used google  s;) ;) s;)  and brought a pair!

Patch

This looks bloody beautiful...

dcod

Quote from: "Mr X"I used google  s;) ;) s;)  and brought a pair!

Good for you dude! I have the black crystal ones and think they look great on a black 2.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Mr X

Not sure about the orange along that bit... I seem to have a part to the bumper missing i never knew was there! (on the right).

dcod

Quote from: "Mr X"Not sure about the orange along that bit.

Not too keen on the orange bit ... but it would go well with orange indicators!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Mr X

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "Mr X"Not sure about the orange along that bit.

Not too keen on the orange bit ... but it would go well with orange indicators!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

shame the black crystal ones are already fitted then! lol

FuZZy_gr

What are you intending to do with the door wells? I am going to wrap mine too and i m still thinking the way to do the part that is revealed when you open the doors.

Mr X

Quote from: "FuZZy_gr"What are you intending to do with the door wells? I am going to wrap mine too and i m still thinking the way to do the part that is revealed when you open the doors.
I did part of it while i was doing the cill. going to have to remove the door to finish it off properly. Most people only do whats visible from the outside. I am planning to do everything so once all the outside is done i would remove the doors and do the wells.

also a little update:
before

after

ive done the inside of one of the lights too but i have to do the cover yet so no pics  s;) ;) s;)

FuZZy_gr

Nice work mate! Keep us updated!

AckersMR2

Wasn't sure about the orange on the bumper at first but now i've seen this, i see where your going with this and i think it's going to be good, be great to see it finished, worry about how well it will hold up though?
Shocking rug btw  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
My only car is a Ducati 

Mr X

I will keep updating. Trying to do a panel a night. Hard with the dam rain tho!

haha yeah, i have orange inside the lights too. I have a pair of those covers that go over the lights (all the way round) that's going to be black. Might do the wing mirrors in orange as well but that's it not to spoil the effect.
I'm not worried about it chipping, I can just re do it!  s:D :D s:D
haha my rug is lush! FTW!
lol

AckersMR2

I just wonder what it washes like and wether it scuffs badly because you can't polish it? I've done carbon wrap on my motorbike but its only small areas and its obviously textured, but a smooth Matt finish?
I think the mirrors will look good in orange and maybe the side intakes? But I'd leave them till last just to be sure?
My only car is a Ducati 

Bekatee

Looking fantastic!!   s8) 8) s8)   ...i love the Black and orange combination. Look forward to seeing the completed effect   s:D :D s:D
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

Mr X

Quote from: "Bekatee"Looking fantastic!!   s8) 8) s8)   ...i love the Black and orange combination. Look forward to seeing the completed effect   s:D :D s:D
Yeah, me too  s:) :) s:)  (obviously) lol Always wanted it to be matte black and orange. Took it round my mates garage to see about getting it painted and he mentioned wrapping it. BINGO!

I don't know about washing it but as it's not my main car and I only take it for a spin once a week i'm not too fussed! I just know you can't clay, polish ot T-Cut ANY matte paints or wraps as it will remove the matte effect and turn it gloss.

Ive already ripped off, cut up and sanded the intakes and.... Finished 1 light!

god i can't wait to finish at least the front end to see what it looks like!   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Bekatee

I bet you can't wait   s:D :D s:D   Liking the finished headlight   s8) 8) s8)  

Where did you learn to vinyl wrap?! Or is that a silly question... is it easy?!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

Tags: