My shot at vinyl wrapping!

Started by Mr X, February 28, 2012, 20:51

peteyb

afew tips......
in any area you have stretched or pushed into a recess, ie the rear boot lid, make sure you heat up the wrap to about 90degrees, post heating, your need a IR themometer, but this resets the memory for the film making it stay in the shape you made  s:) :) s:)  also edges that have been wrap around need post heating aswell to remove any memory, the wrap will always fight to find the flat memory it has, post heating removes this

use isoprop alchole to clean, maybe abit of primer on those tought edges

mirrors, the best way and the most secure way is the pre stretch and shrink method, easyer with 2 people, like the missus or a mate, make sure your using a bit of wrap abit 3 times bigger than the mirror, pull off the backing paper and stick one edge to the car, to hold it flat, get your helper to heat up the wrap, all over it, plenty of heat, then you pull it away from the car, you helper pulls it the opposite way, hold it they till it cools and stays that shape, the go ahead and wrap the mirror, but now your find as you apply heat the wrap will shrink around the mirror instead of you trying to stretch it, makes for a much more stable edge and has little to no risk of lifting  s:) :) s:)  abit arkard at first, matt wraps will go gloss if you pull to much, and carbon will disort abit, but that will anyway on a compound curve like a mirror

Mr X

Quote from: "Eastsoutheast"Have been following this thread with great interest. I really admire you for doing this yourself and you have done a great job. The only detail that spoils it for me are the rear lights. I think stock lights would look better.

Great job
oh jeez.... I stripped that off the lights just after I did it! I still need to sort the back lights as it's the only part that lets the car down now.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Also, last summer, I stripped off half the wrap as I noticed during the heat cycles over winter/summer months it would lift and bubble. Some of the car is still wrap but most is now either plastidip or paint!
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Tags: