My shot at vinyl wrapping!

Started by Mr X, February 28, 2012, 20:51

Mr X

Quote from: "Bekatee"I bet you can't wait   s:D :D s:D   Liking the finished headlight   s8) 8) s8)  

Where did you learn to vinyl wrap?! Or is that a silly question... is it easy?!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I just ordered some and did it mate. Saying that, iv'e always tinted my own windows on every car i have had and a few others. This is easier than tinting! as you don't have to worry about bubbles or soapy water!

Make sure its flat, make sure its clean, start on a flat part of the panel, heat it up and stretch it over!
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Anonymous

QuoteWhere did you learn to vinyl wrap?! Or is that a silly question... is it easy?!!  

Some good instructional stuff on Youtube.

dcod

I take it back about the orange on the bumper. With the other orange bits I think it should look good.

Looking forward to seeing it finished. I prefer lime green and black but orange and black would be my second choice.

Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

uktotty

Its a good combo

Bekatee

Quote from: "Mr X"I just ordered some and did it mate. Saying that, iv'e always tinted my own windows on every car i have had and a few others. This is easier than tinting! as you don't have to worry about bubbles or soapy water!

Make sure its flat, make sure its clean, start on a flat part of the panel, heat it up and stretch it over!

Quote from: "dick2ski"Some good instructional stuff on Youtube.

I'd really like to have a go at this - love the idea of changing a car colour to make it unique. I'm not bad at wallpapering walls at home   s:P :P s:P   Now... who has a car i can practice on...?!!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  It's not something i'll be able to with my 2, sadly   s:? :? s:?
Ex owner, but forever an enthusiast ;) ...Sold, but never forgotton \":)\"

uktotty

KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Bekatee

Quote from: "uktotty"KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   ...and turn it Lambo green?!!  s;) ;) s;)   s8) 8) s8)

AmeR

Quote from: "Bekatee"
Quote from: "uktotty"KEEP IT!!!!!!!!!!!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   ...and turn it Lambo green?!!  s;) ;) s;)   s8) 8) s8)

Yes x 1,000,000!!!!!!

Mr X

haha i did think about the green... but then thought orange would look better  s;) ;) s;)  i fitted the light and a wing this morning. once i have done the sill on the other side i can then fit the right wing and bumper. Hopefully, I can get part of the right light done tonight and my spare engine lid on so i can then film the one that goes with the spoiler  s:) :) s:)  happy days!
I'm not saying I'm batman. I'm just saying that nobody has ever seen me and batman in a room together.

Mr X

about 2 and half hours to do the engine lid:

Bekatee

Love it!! Just the right amount of orange detail against the matt black in my opinion   s8) 8) s8)    s:D :D s:D   Is vinyl expensive? (bit like asking how long is a piece of string, i suppose?!   s:? :? s:?   ) Do you know how easy vinyl is to remove if you change your mind down the line... not that you need to remove it   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   ...just my mind wandering...!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:D :D s:D

dcod

Looking great.

Not trying to cause a problem but is that rear centre light legal?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

ekimq

Quote from: "dcod"Looking great.

Yup, there's one built in to the spoiler. It's only illegal (MoT fail) if it is uncovered but not working.
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

dcod

Quote from: "ekimq"Yup, there's one built in to the spoiler.

Sorry dude, missed that one.

Mr X

Quote from: "dcod"Looking great.

Nope, it's actually a cover toyota fitted when you have a spoiler with a centre light  s:) :) s:)  I was going to take off the one from my backup engine lid (the one that came with the car) but I think having 2 centre lights would be a bit overkill lol

QuoteIs vinyl expensive? (bit like asking how long is a piece of string, i suppose?!   ) Do you know how easy vinyl is to remove if you change your mind down the line...

1 roll of matte black 1520mm x 5000mm is roughly £55 inc delivery. I think I'm going to use about 2 and half rolls so I will have some spare in case a panel gets bodged  s;) ;) s;)  The orange is about £20 for 1520x1000.
 also, the stuff does come back off without residue but you have to pull at it.... HARD! or heat it up and it comes right off. Gotta be careful though, I burnt my hand once or twice doing that grill lol

E

I generally dont like mat pained or wrapped, but I cant wait to see this one finished, it seems to me that you are putting just the right amount of that orange on to really make it work. keep up the excellent work   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

dcod

Quote from: "E"putting just the right amount of that orange on to really make it work.

+1

Too little orange and it looks out of place. Too much and it looks gawdy.

uktotty

I am not a fan of dual colour cars, that orange one on eBay was hideous with the black bonnet and boot!
This job looks really good, I would also like to see the end result

Mr X

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "E"putting just the right amount of that orange on to really make it work.

+1

Too little orange and it looks out of place. Too much and it looks gawdy.

yup! two tone is the height of awfulness! should not be done on anything other than a woman and white bits! haha   s;) ;) s;)

dcod

Quote from: "Mr X"should not be done on anything other than a woman

I hate orange women.

Mr X

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "Mr X"should not be done on anything other than a woman

I hate orange women.

never dated a gal from essex then mate? lol

dcod

Ewwww. Although I think she'd 'scrub up' nicely   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

stargazer30

This is looking good so far.  Cant wait to see the end result.  Hows the insurance company with you.  Did you have to "assume the position" when you rang them?
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

WillsSayers

Most insurers actually don't want to know about wraps. They're only seen as being temporary. No changes required with the DVLA, and normally no change to premiums.

]Appearance:[/b] :: Pre-facelift Toyota Bodykit :: Ducktail Spoiler :: TTE Style Bar :: Custard Gas Struts ::
Chassis: :: Front and Rear Strut Brace :: C-One Front and Rear Anti-roll Bar ::

stargazer30

Quote from: "WillsSayers"Most insurers actually don't want to know about wraps. They're only seen as being temporary. No changes required with the DVLA, and normally no change to premiums.

Seriously?  Something that totally alters the colour of your car and the insurance doesn't care?  I'll file that under things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Tags: