Further modification to the standard intake system

Started by FGrob, March 23, 2012, 16:52

FGrob

I couple of months ago I saw a thread on SC about the standard over wing pipe which is used in the standard intake system, although mine is modified I still used the standard air box and overwing pipe, this is the pipe removed:

It basically secured to the top chassis rail and exits into the engine bay - quiet high up I will add, this is where it should go:

So I thought I would take it off to see where it came out, a bit of a surprized to see this the other side, which was confirmed on SC to be correct:

I thought this would be a little restrictive, so I decided to remove the whole lot and just finish with an elbow pointing towards the side vent, I'm convinced the air flow will be better and should be a little cooler, this is what it looks like:

Here's one with the Markiii pipe in place:

I've not run it yet but it will be interesting to hear what it sounds like, it might need a re-map but it's due one sometime any way.

Nearly back together   s:D :D s:D    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

stargazer30

That cars so clean its just scary.  Has it actually done any miles to use the air intake?   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

FGrob

Quote from: "stargazer30"That cars so clean its just scary.  Has it actually done any miles to use the air intake?   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
Yep it's done over 20000 now.  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

StuC

Have I read this right, once the air comes in through the side vent, it is not directed in any way other than the natural shape of the bodywork?

What distance have you got between wing vent and your new intake? Do you not get bleeding past the wheelarch liner?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

trevsmr2

How does the intake get the cold air ,the side vent doesn't go into the rear wing ,

FGrob

The side vent is pretty slack in it's fitment, so there is a natural flow through, plus the plastic liner allows flow through into the cavity as it's not a sealed fit so you have increased the available air using the inner wing as the source, the original pipe was pulling air from the inside of the engine bay, near the top of the engine - more heat, with that very large cable stuck in front of it so it's not exactly making a great job of drawing in cool air.

I look at it as an easy way to clean up a somewhat difficult and long path to get air to the engine as quickly as possible, I think the sound will be interesting.

Rob.

StuC

I'll be following this then, as I am getting an AEM next month if everything goes according to plan, so I will look to implement the same.  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

FGrob

Quote from: "stargazer30"That cars so clean its just scary.  Has it actually done any miles to use the air intake?   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
Here you go, just a few more pic's of what state it's in up until yesterday, not bad for a car coming up to 7 year old with 20,000 on the clock   s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Just got to polish me tips then we are good to go.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Rob.

FGrob

Quote from: "trevsmr2"How does the intake get the cold air ,the side vent doesn't go into the rear wing ,
Here's a view with the liner in place, the volume of air in that cavity is more than sufficent to meet the requirements of the intake and will draw in cool air naturally throught the various opening.

Goeman

What's the inside diameter of that Samco hose Rob?
Russell

FGrob

Quote from: "Goeman"What's the inside diameter of that Samco hose Rob?
Hi Russell.

I'm running 70mm I/D straight through on all the Samco's, just checked the I/D of the eblow that goes through into the engine bay (the one I removed) it was 64mm I/D plus the restriction.

Rob

Goeman

Thanks Rob. I only ask because I'm at work so can't check myself.

I have a makeiii pipe but haven't fitted it yet because it was from a batch that didn't fit the airbox properly. I might as well do what you've done when I grind it down and fit it. Annoyingly whilst Merlin Motorsport do the 70mm hose, they do not an intake to fit it.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   I think I'll go to ebay for it instead.
Russell

ChrisGB

Will be interesting to see a comparison of before and after IATs with this modification. I find the turbo setup that picks air up from the same location gives a +25 Deg C above ambient result with the car stationary, although this does fall to +5 Deg C when on the open road.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Goeman

Hi Rob.

Are the Are the two hoses you're using between the MAF and the TB 70mm also? And are those larger clips necessary or just shiny overkill?

Russell

FGrob

Quote from: "Goeman"Hi Rob.

Are the Are the two hoses you're using between the MAF and the TB 70mm also? And are those larger clips necessary or just shiny overkill?

Hi Russell.

Just checked to make sure - yes it is, even the alloy make-up piece is 70mm O/D. If you are using the same clips as me you will need to reinforce the standard airbox opening as this is pretty soft plastic and it will deform, I just used a piece of exhaust tubing and secured it in place with a screw just to get the first bite right.

Rob,

Goeman

So it's 2 x 70mm 90deg elbows, 1 x 70mm coupling, 1 x 70mm joiner, 1 x 70mm air inlet/trumpet (most seem to be 63mm or 76mm, can't find a true 70mm one) and 1 x markiii pipe (which I already have).

I'll probably just use jubilee clips and I wont do them up very tight. It's not like the inlet system has much pressure on it. I might use a 76mm to 70mm reducer elbow as well as 76mm air inlets are freely available.  

Thanks for your help Rob.
Russell

FGrob

Quote from: "Goeman"So it's 2 x 70mm 90deg elbows, 1 x 70mm coupling, 1 x 70mm joiner, 1 x 70mm air inlet/trumpet (most seem to be 63mm or 76mm, can't find a true 70mm one) and 1 x markiii pipe (which I already have).

I'll probably just use jubilee clips and I wont do them up very tight. It's not like the inlet system has much pressure on it. I might use a 76mm to 70mm reducer elbow as well as 76mm air inlets are freely available.  

Thanks for your help Rob.
Hi Russell.

I machined the trumpet down from one of the universal ones so it was a nice smooth fit. I got all my 70mm (Samco and Alloy tube) from Demon Tweeks.

Rob.

Goeman

My machining efforts would be something along the lines of hacksawing a bit off of the end. Thanks for you help Rob.
Russell

AmeR

Just dragging this back up, was wondering if you could recall what attached the pipe inside the wing? Was thinking of removing mine since I am looking at putting my filter below the rear light.

trevsmr2

Quote from: "AmeR"Just dragging this back up, was wondering if you could recall what attached the pipe inside the wing? Was thinking of removing mine since I am looking at putting my filter below the rear light.
Shows the fittings on the first page ,two bolts

Mike_V

Quote from: "AmeR"Just dragging this back up, was wondering if you could recall what attached the pipe inside the wing? Was thinking of removing mine since I am looking at putting my filter below the rear light.

Or you can cut the existing pipe shorter Paul so that the air flow is just in front of your intake filter, whatever you see as the best option for you.
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

FGrob

Quote from: "Mike_V"

Or you can cut the existing pipe shorter Paul so that the air flow is just in front of your intake filter, whatever you see as the best option for you.
That's the reason why I pulled it out Mike, the pipes not got a natural flow, the engine is always drawing from the inside of the engine bay - no natural flow, certainly not with that pipe in front of the opening, taking it out allows a more natural flow through the wing from the side vent and other openings which are within that area - well that's the basis I've worked on.

Remember this is what the other end of the pipe is attached to (two plastic push type clips hold it in place), no other ducting the other side just an opening with a restriction.

Mike_V

Very interesting philosophy Rob, have you noticed any difference?

Mike
EX 2000 MR2 Roadster,silver,grey/black leather trim,TTE rear bumper inserts,black-grey Momo steering wheel,17" Rota GT3 wheels,KYB struts and FK springs,TRD short shifter with brass shifter bushes,Matt Performance under body brace,Megan arms,Che ARBs,Pirhana discs and Yellow stuff pads,Custom stage 2 T28 SP Turbo,charge cooler system,Helix clutch,lightened flywheel,Moroso sump, custom exhaust and induction kit,550 cc injectors,Link storm G4 ECU with 260bhp&240 ft lbs.
----------------------------------------
2004 Red edition in Sable.
http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae323/Mike_V/

FGrob

Not yet Mike, I've only just got the relacement tyre today as the company I brought it from delivered the wrong one last week  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

I'll give it a go over the weekend with a bit of luck, weather permitting.  s:D :D s:D  

Rob.

AmeR

Are the other 2 clips or bolts up and over the wing?
I'm presuming that the best way to get this out will be to remove the arch liner?

Tags: