Further modification to the standard intake system

Started by FGrob, March 23, 2012, 16:52

FGrob

Quote from: "AmeR"Are the other 2 clips or bolts up and over the wing?
I'm presuming that the best way to get this out will be to remove the arch liner?
There are two bolts which run along the inside of the chassis at the top, then the two clips are the ones you have to pop the centre out of which are black plastic, you can see the holes in the photo either side of the large hole.

Yes you will need to remove the liner, have a look here we've just been talking about it   l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37988 l

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

manchestermatt1986

iv been watching your thread rob because im interested on how the cold air flow can be improved with the side vents.

has anyone seen the new Lexus LFA?  

The wing mirrors are designed to channel the air flow into rear vents.

The vents are alot higher thou.

But i was thinking that maybe a vent cover with a risen channel may work, similar to the old mr2 mk2 engine one

you can see it on the back of this one

have to maybe have matching wingmirrors to the vent to make a airflow, would need engineering so would be expensive, but thought this would be good
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

FGrob

Well I actually managed to run the car tonight for the first time, it felt like a brick at first, when I got back I remember that I'd not checked the tyre pressures since last year - when I had them changed over - 34 at the front  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  and 35 at the back. I quick letting off of air and it feels much better. As for the engine, god I forgot how quick these things are, even with 6 month old fuel in it felt pretty dam quick - not the normal sluggish start I normally get when I first put it back on the road so maybe it as helped a little, it certainly picks up very quickly, so I'll get some fresh go go juice in this weekend and a little injector cleaner as well and I think it will be good to go.

As for the sound, counldn't really tell that much difference, but then again when the exhaust kicks in the intakes got no chance, and when the roofs up - oh them cams are to die for  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Rob.   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

dcod

Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "stargazer30"That cars so clean its just scary.  Has it actually done any miles to use the air intake?   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
Yep it's done over 20000 now.  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Feet?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

FGrob

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "stargazer30"That cars so clean its just scary.  Has it actually done any miles to use the air intake?   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:
Yep it's done over 20000 now.  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Feet?
I wish it was sometimes.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

FGrob

Just a quick up-date on this mod as a couple of members were asking me about it at the Ding Day.

Starting off and running the car up to temp the car feels very responsive, once up to temp no real problems running to the redline the car felt very smooth and responsive.

Then after a while running in the hot temps I started to notice the intake temp getting a little high, in fact on the way back from DT by the time I was back in Stoke and hitting a little traffic, I was seeing intake temps of 52C, which when you consider the ambient was about 25C was a lot more than I've seen before plus the car did not like it and was certainly not as responsive as earlier in the day, the other concern was normally after being in traffic the intake temp would come down with a steady run at a reasonable speed which it did not.

When I got home I checked to see if the was anything obvious going on that was causing such a high temp, there are two areas that concerned me, the first was the heat coming from the header tank which is just to one side of the intake, I'm woundering if the heat is been retained at the top of the wing cavity where the intake is positioned, so with this in mind I have turned the intake downwards pointing towards the lower wheel arch cavity, the second area I noticed was the actual temp of the Markiii pipe, it was around 60C due to the heat coming from the exhaust and general engine heat so I don't think that will help, I suppose there is a lot to be said for using plastic, the heat does not get retained as much certainly when you have high ambients.

So I ran the car the next day with the inverted intake (I can't do a great deal about the Markiii pipe, but then again it worked OK last year), the ambient was about the same so I could repeat the same conditions, the intake temp was reaching about 42 C, even in traffic, and running at a steady speed gave me a reducion down to 39C, so certainly it would indicate there was an issue with the positioning on the intake, plus the car felt normal pulling all the way to the redline.

So what next, well I'm looking at two options, the first is to route a pipe (plastic) from the wing side vent all the way back to the air box, removing the Markiii pipe at the same time, I'm not sure how this will work yet but it's certainly something to consider, the second option is to change the whole induction system, to say something like the PPE which is positioned at the front / side of the engine, the downside to this is cost, firstly for the PPE and then the re-map afterwards due to the respositioning of the MAF.

I'll up-date this once I've decided on a route.

Rob.

AmeR

Though probably not in keeping with your bling engine bay  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  I found that the high temp paint that I used on my previous Markiii pipe (same as is currently adorned by half of my engine bay) did quite a good job of keeping heatsoak from my pipe. I could certainly touch it after a run without melting my finger tips.  s:) :) s:)

FGrob

So I've changed my system over to a PPE, first impressions were OK, not too impressed with the quality, certainly at the end of the tube which fitted into the throttle body (had to do a little re-shaping and filing).  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   So after a little messing about and rearranging cables and hoses it was finally fitted.

Went for a run today, the ambient was about 14C so not as warm as before but should be a good indication to what temps I can expect, went a few miles into the city, the max temp was 22C which dropped back to 20C after a short run, overall the engine seems happy enough, it pulls pretty much as before but there is more noise comng from the back which is more induction based.

So I will take it back to Noble for a check and tweek which will then confirm if in fact there is any benefit over the modified stock system I was running before - at the moment there is certainly a temperature benefit but compared to how I had the system prior to the overwing tube removal it's not a great difference.

So there's one thing I can confirm the overwing tube does do a good job of keeping intake temps at a good level, also I see the downside of fitting intakes into the lower rear wing cavity certainly from a heat soak point of view which really surprized me, but as they say you learn by your mistakes, this one cost me £280 (including duty VAT etc) plus whatever the cost of rolling road will be.

I'll  post up the new dyno once it's done.

Rob.

FGrob

Well just to close this out, I've just come back from Noble where they have just spent an hour or so tweeking the map, it had changed a little, mainly on fueling, so here she is on the rolling road ready to go.

So what was the result, it's about what I expected, the BHP has increased from 169.2 BHP @  6995 to 170.7BHP @ 7229, so 1.5BHP increase, the torque has dropped by 0.2 lbft but the line is a lot straighter and it feels real smooth and it growls now.

Here's what the install looks lke now

I think what this does prove is the stock / modified system I had worked very well, the only downside which I can see is the induction temps, the PPE does an excellent job of keeping things cool, which I think for me makes it worth the effort.

And the state of my car - my god I've been through floods, hail, cow  sshit shit sshit  - the bloody lot - but I'll enjoy cleaning her  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I'll post the dyno in the garage section once I've scanned it.

Rob.

MisterK

Great write up & pics Rob.  The back of your car now looks very much how mine looks most of the time!!!!
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Tags: