Tyres

Started by Anonymous, May 2, 2004, 20:12

Anonymous

Just thought I'd post it here as I thought it might be a question asked by others:

If changing to a different tyre, can you get away with just changing the tyres across an axle or should you change all four tyres at the same time?

Has anyone done this? What are your thoughts guys?

My tyres don't need changing yet but just preparing myself for the best course of action. Must admit from looking at the tyre review Yoko neovas are looking tempting.

Just a few thoughts on my stock tyres: Bridgestone RE040 on an 03 model MR2 so 16" and 15" as fitted OEM. They don't seem particularly grippy in wet or dry conditions. Don't notice much of a problem in the dry but then again you have to be pushing so hard in the dry on normal roads (haven't doner any track days yet) to get near the limits. In the wet, I don't find them majorly problematic although they just don't seems as thought they key in to the tarmac as well as they could. I found I could drive around this though, and was able to outpace a V5 Golf 4-Motion in the wet around local twisties. I realise that this may be down to the inherent rightness of the chassis compensating for the tyre (lack of) performance.

I've also noticed heavy tramlining, particularly when braking hard from high speeds on bumpy roads. I don't know whether this is due to the suspension setup or if it is due to the RE040s as I haven't tested any other tyres yet. I've alo noticed little dofference in feel between when they are cold and after they should have warmed after press-on driving.

Overall impression is that they are OK but I'm sure that  there must be options out there that are more confidence inspiring - just can't wait till I try them out  s:P :P s:P

GSB

My own experience would suggest this:

Never mix different brands of tyres on the car.

2 weeks ago I fitted a pair of new rear tyres to my car, Toyo Proxes T1-S replacing Bridgestone RE-040 Potenza's. Prior to this the car was fine, it just had worn tyres. At the time I only had the rears in stock and had to wait a further week for the fronts, so just the backs were done. I'd read previously that the handling characteristics on mixed tyres are a little unpredictable, but nothing could have been worse than what I experienced. Immediatley the car was a real handful top drive, bordering on dangerous. At motorway speeds the slightest change in direction had the back end of the car swinging, a couple of times I thought my numers were well and truly up... Increasing the pressures helped, but didn't eradicate the problem. I began to wonder if I really wanted these wayward tyres on my car. They were a hundred times worse than bald bridgestones! After a week of motoring, during which time I had so many close calls and pant-filling moments I lost count, the tyres showed no signs of improving.

When the part worn front Bridgestones were removed, and replaced with new Toyos to match the rear, I was expecting more of the same, but all is well with the world again. balance has once again been restored, and the car was as chuckable as ever right away.  Nver will I mix tyres again, its far to dangerous and thoroughly unpleasant
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Goodyear F1's are top quality, i got mine from a local dealer for £320 inc fitting.

They are so good they should be stock but are pricey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

RE040's do tramline like a bastard

and I definately recomend Neovas for an 03
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/site/tyres/car/searchResults/patterns/SP01/
Dunlop SP Sport 01

Anyone tried this tyre? Verdict?

SteveJ

Quote from: "markiii"RE040's do tramline like a b*****d

Strange - I've had a set of OEM RE040's on mine for 17000 so far (  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Yeah - before anyone says it I must be driving like a girlie) and don't seem to be having ANY tramlining problems (well no more than any other tyres I've tried on previous '2s)

markiii

wonder if your front strut brace makes any difference?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "jamitalian"http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/site/tyres/car/searchResults/patterns/SP01/
Dunlop SP Sport 01

I've got them as OE on my Gold GTI PD 150 (I know it's not the 2 but it may be of some interest). They seem quite malleable, if I can use that phrase. Quite progressive in both wet and dry, although maybe not massively grippy in the wet. Don't seem too bad overall.

Tem

Quote from: "RUSTY"If changing to a different tyre, can you get away with just changing the tyres across an axle or should you change all four tyres at the same time?

Like GSB just said...and has been said a billion times before...always change all four.

Think of it this way, you'll never really know which end will snap loose first, if you mix tyres. You might get the normal understeer at some point, but once you have water/sand on the road, you'll have no idea how different tyres handle it. Not to mention the difference you get when the tyres start to warm up and everything you just learned doesn't apply anymore. Mixed tyres will get you into trouble  s:? :? s:?

If you drive like your granny, it probably doesn't matter what you have though  s;) ;) s;)  The car can carry groceries with any tyres  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

juansolo

Quote from: "markiii"RE040's do tramline like a b*****d

Yup, though somewhat bizarrely I'm back on Bridgestones at stock pressures at the moment due to me shafting the rear right Neova and not being able to justify a new set just yet.

Things I've noticed going back:  On road, the Bridgestones ride better but do tramline more.  The thunking I used to get with the steering on full lock with the Neova's dissapears when on the 'Stones.  Also the rolling radius difference suprisingly effects the speedo.  I was getting 260-270 miles consistently out of a tank on Neovas, 300 out of the 'Stones.  The Bridgestones are still my choice for a pure road tyre.

However; welcome back understeer   s:( :( s:(   At stock pressures grip is biased way too much to the rear for my liking.  I haven't got around to dealing with that yet but a subtle adustment of pressures front to rear should sort that.  Too be honest, they're a bit boring like this.  Also they're not a very happy track tyre.

I still stick with the fact that for track/road work and entertainment, there is nothing to touch the Neova's.  Just put a little more pressure in them than I did and don't smack it up kerbs trying to shave fractions off a non-timed lap.  I'm now trying to get hold of a set of left hand side part worns...
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "jamitalian"http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/site/tyres/car/searchResults/patterns/SP01/
Dunlop SP Sport 01

I have mounted Dunlop SP 9000.
 m http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/site/tyres ... ns/SP9000/ m

They are very progressive and have a  good grip on wet roads (for a dry tire).
Less directional than the stock yokohamas, but a lot more predictable near the limit.

Tags: