Tyres and an open mind.

Started by Anonymous, June 10, 2012, 21:49

Anonymous

Not wishing to wind anyone up here, but do any of the major sportscar makers fit Toyos as standard?
How do they compare with premium brands? We dont know, because we cant afford them, or the testing fascilities to do proper comparisons.
I know allot of you like the Toyos, but other brands are available, many many other brands. I trying Yokohamas next.

Stephster

Don't try the Yokos, they is sh*t..... I had 'em and they were not good in the wet.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

Anonymous

Nobody is saying Toyo's are the only way to go,only that they tick most of the boxes.That's why there is a tyre thread for different tyres.
  l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3313 l

Wabbitkilla

I actually have Marangoni Zeta Linea fitted, not well known but the hill climbers like them (some like the Toyos too), and they grip phenomenally in the dry, and not too shoddy in the wet too.

There are some 2no name" brands that are actually dangerous when put on our cars though. obviously people will argue with me saying to maintain the stagger and same make/model all-round, but it seems sensible to me to keep predictable grip and handling on a car that is sensitive even to a 1 or 2 psi difference on a corner!

And Yoko's have a shoddy reputation in the wet, not just on our cars but on the MK2 too
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Evo has done some tyre tests here:   m http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/20 ... e-Test.htm m

Nath

I am running Falken FK452 and find them very good in both the wet and dry. Only done 1,000 miles on them so far so cannot comment on the wear rate.

FGrob

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 for me, not worried about wear rate as I don't do enough miles, only problem is profile (45 front and 40 back) but you get the added advantage of a little more acceleration. Feel nice on the GT3 wheels.

Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

markiii

Toyota used to be oem for Tvr
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

FGrob

Quote from: "markiii"Toyota used to be oem for Tvr
That's a new one Mark   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

markiii

Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

FGrob

Quote from: "markiii"http://www.pistonheads.com/tvr/s/default.asp?storyId=6856
Yes Mark - Toyo - Not Toyota   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Two's Company

I'd get yoko advan neovos if money were no object. They are more than double the cost of a set of Toyos though and I question whether you see double the benefit.

I've only run Bridgestones and Toyos on the car. The Bridgestones tramlines terribly. The Toyo's sidewalls are too soft so most up the pressures a couple of PSI to compensate.

Chris H

No comment.........  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

jonone

when i got my 2 late feb it had yoko advans on at 24000 miles replaced them with yoko ad08 costly but brill in dry
its my toy so not used in wet
30,000 miles 56 Reg 1E7 crystal silver TF 300 / 089     Yokohamas AD 08 Tyres Re-furbed Alloys in Satin Black, debadged rear Hard Top ON "turbocharged by Matt Performance "

Two's Company

I have considered the Advan neovas now my mileage is a 1/10th of what it was.

Stephster

Quote from: "jonone"when i got my 2 late feb it had yoko advans on at 24000 miles replaced them with yoko ad08 costly but brill in dry
its my toy so not used in wet

Not getting much use in the current drought then ?
Mine is a toy too - but I still take her out when it's wet.
[strike]2001 Silver MR2, red interior. Just like she came out of the factory \":)\"[/strike] -  I loved owning her !
Gone over to the dark side - 05 Black Z4 2.0i se with red leather.

jonone

still learning mid engine rwd handling traits after many years of fwd cars best done in dry for starters which is why i put on really good tyres the existing yoko advans had been on from new and at 24000 were well and truly knackered used that to haggle price down
30,000 miles 56 Reg 1E7 crystal silver TF 300 / 089     Yokohamas AD 08 Tyres Re-furbed Alloys in Satin Black, debadged rear Hard Top ON "turbocharged by Matt Performance "

Tags: