Painted Cam Cover

Started by Jap GT300, May 16, 2004, 20:27

Jap GT300

I decided to go for a subtle colour on Kerries 2'.  I did want to do it in red but she had other ideas.

I sprayed it with 500 degree paint and high temperature gloss from Halfords and included a US Spyder sticker for extra HP!

What do you think?

Slacey

Looks good Adam - it's something i'd like to do myself, but looks a lot of trouble!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"it's something i'd like to do myself, but looks a lot of trouble!

I painted mine while it was on the car. It's actually easier and faster than painting the brakes...

I do have the stock plastic cover, so I didn't have to paint the whole thing. Just removed it and painted half an inch "under" it and put it back.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Looks good mate.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Looks good to me too.

Just wondering - can you really remove and replace the cam cover without any special tools? Never opened an egine before...

Lars J

markiii

high temp gloss? or do you mean laquer?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

Yeah Laquer.

Its only held in place with 10mm bolts.  I think there is 7 of them.  I would replace the rubber gasket if your going to do this as the seal wont be as good if you try and reuse it.

It's a much tidier job if you just remove it and spray it.  It took about 10mins to remove and then a couple of hours to put a few layers of paint on.

Anonymous

looking sweet matey   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

scottee

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Slacey"it's something i'd like to do myself, but looks a lot of trouble!

I painted mine while it was on the car. It's actually easier and faster than painting the brakes...

I do have the stock plastic cover, so I didn't have to paint the whole thing. Just removed it and painted half an inch "under" it and put it back.

Tem what did you paint it with? was it a spray? I immagine it would of been a bit mess if it was, im doing my heatshield this weekend, so I might do cam cover while i've got the spray paint (some of that high temp stuff that adam mentioned)

LeeUK

Looks great, I like the spyder logo, nice finishing touch!

May do it myself if I don't get a carbon fiber rocker cover.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Tem

Quote from: "LeeUK"I don't get a carbon fiber rocker cover.

There was one in eBay about a month ago, which didn't meet the reserve...might show up again...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Chris

It looking rather good that!  Kinda gives me the insiration to actually get the balls to do it to mine now, as I've wanted to do it for a long while!

I'm planning on doing my heat shield in red, so will probably go black as well, as i figure that both of them would be too much red...   s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: