Strut braces, honestly notice any difference?

Started by steve b, August 13, 2012, 21:53

steve b

So front and rear upper braces, who has fitted them not concerned about what sort but am interested to hear if you honestly notice any difference at all?

My MX5's I tried some and always just sold them on as noticed no difference, some special edition MX5s have them as standard upfront so you think they may make some difference but I certainly couldn't tell.  Bolt in rear cage massive instant big difference and full weld in cage you'd not recognised it as the same car.

MR2 already has a lightweight rear brace, no front brace and strut towers are close to the bulkhead, I'm sceptical if they are worth anything.

Whats the concensus, pointless weight gain or worthwhile?

If I do try It'd either be TRD or Ultra, probably Ultra.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

Wabbitkilla

Definitely worthwhile
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

Front yes, rear, most reckon you cannot tell the difference.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

iPap

Get a chassis brace frist, they are the best mod for the 2!
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

porscheguy944

I just put the two lower braces in my car and the rear tower brace as well ...................alittle more turn in and feels alittle tighter than before.
But I have not had it that long and my cornnering has been on city streets not the track so far .
I am looking for the front tower brace with the U bend so as to still beable to use the frunk opening.
Does anyone remember where these came from?
My name is Roger and I am a gear shifting tire burning low flying High output Carbon aholic.......
Thank GOD there are normal people out there
which leaves all of the fun cars left over for us

Current rides: 1997 Lotus Esprit TT 3.5 L V-8 482 RWHP 2005 SLK55 AMG 5.5L 366 HP 2008 C63 AMG 456 HP

carlclarke

Quote from: "porscheguy944"I just put the two lower braces in my car and the rear tower brace as well ...................alittle more turn in and feels alittle tighter than before.
But I have not had it that long and my cornnering has been on city streets not the track so far .
I am looking for the front tower brace with the U bend so as to still beable to use the frunk opening.

I did see one like that when I was looking a while ago but I wonder if it is not so popular/useful because it is not so rigid?

Wabbitkilla

I and others have gradually fitted the various braces over time.
Each and every one has had subtle but noticeable effects upon the handling of the car, so they do all work.
Whether your style of driving would actually let you pick up the difference is purely subjective.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

uktotty

Front yes, rear no

peteopc

The front makes a Hugh difference even at slow speed.

gtcc88

I have a 4-point ultra rear brace and I could definitely felt the different when I first installed it. I find the front of the 2 very "soft", so I am really looking forward to get a front brace to hopefully cure that.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "uktotty"Front yes, rear no

Oddly, I think this depends upon what suspension you have fitted.
With my coilovers I noticed the rear end stiffen up quite a lot adding the brace, almost too stiff!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"

With my coilovers I noticed the rear end stiffen up quite a lot adding the brace, almost too stiff!

Odd? I would have thought that the stiffer the shell the better the suspension would work. Some of the rear braces out there are probably less effective than the stock one, could it be a case of a harsher ride due to a less effective brace?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Wabbitkilla

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"

Odd? I would have thought that the stiffer the shell the better the suspension would work. Some of the rear braces out there are probably less effective than the stock one, could it be a case of a harsher ride due to a less effective brace?

Chris

You're probably right, I only say "odd" because many people say it makes no difference.
My rear tower brace is a C-One, which is probably one of the most robust ones made for the car.

steve b

Interesting reading, may give the Ultra front strut tower braces a go then, if I notice any difference may get the TRD rear as well (Ultra rear doesn't look a good design to me).  Makes total sense those running the car stiffly sprung and / or heavily damped would feel the chassis flex more than those running a stock setup.
2002 Face lifted 6 Speed UK 2ZZGE MR2 track car & 2.7T A6 Avant. CBR1000RR & CBR600F.

steve b

Quote from: "carlclarke"
Quote from: "porscheguy944"I just put the two lower braces in my car and the rear tower brace as well ...................alittle more turn in and feels alittle tighter than before.

I did see one like that when I was looking a while ago but I wonder if it is not so popular/useful because it is not so rigid?

m http://ultraracing-eu.com/toyota-mrs-20 ... 053820.htm m

I'm told now has a bend so frunk can be used.

porscheguy944

I just looked at the Ultra web sight link on here and they do not show the one with the bend in it / just the straight one?
I did see on here that one of the guys on here has the one with the bend in it so you can still access the frunk.
Does anyone know where he got that type from?
My name is Roger and I am a gear shifting tire burning low flying High output Carbon aholic.......

Current rides: 1997 Lotus Esprit TT 3.5 L V-8 482 RWHP 2005 SLK55 AMG 5.5L 366 HP 2008 C63 AMG 456 HP

AckersMR2

I think the picture on their website might be an old version and they have now updated it with a bend in it? You'd have to check with them though?
My only car is a Ducati 

manchestermatt1986

Just emailed them asking about the frunk and if there is any discount for club members
Toyota/TRD Stage 2 Kit - C-one Wing - Hardtop - Injen Induction - Inner Vent LED\'s - Double Din JVC - Armrest - Painted Calipers - Custom Heatshileld - Two Active Subs In Bins - Blitz Nur Spec-S - Team Dynamic 16" - Twin Vocal Speakers On Bin Lids - JSpec Gear Knob - Che Manifold - Angel Eye Fogs -

wotugonado

l viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38528 l

ignore the 1st pic in the link, as mine came cranked(see pic near end of link) so i could keep the frunk in tact. As far as im aware the price still stands.Hope this helps.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

porscheguy944

thank you .............. but how does the pricing work to the usa?

thekickinside

bit sideways (sorry if its considered off topic) but I have been amazed at the difference putting a hard top on the car makes to the handling...

it would be interesting to know how people feel extra bracing compairs to that...

AmeR

Underbody central brace (corkys breastplate or Mattperformance's X brace) does a similar job as the HT but you can get some sun in your eye too!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

loadswine

That's pretty much how I'd describe the effect too.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

porscheguy944

Quote from: "AmeR"Underbody central brace (corkys breastplate or Mattperformance's X brace) does a similar job as the HT but you can get some sun in your eye too!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Can you post a picture of these?corkys breastplate or Mattperformance's X brace

porscheguy944

Quote from: "AmeR"Underbody central brace (corkys breastplate or Mattperformance's X brace) does a similar job as the HT but you can get some sun in your eye too!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Is this the company?     m http://www.corkyandcompany.net/ m

Tags: