wheel advice please

Started by nimrod, August 24, 2012, 10:27

nimrod

I have a 2004 Roadster on the original wheels, I like the look of the toyota wheels but not the corrosion, my original set was set were sent of to a firm in Blackpool who sent me refurbed wheels that were just powder coated so I was a little disappointed after some time I then had these wheels refurbished and was happy with the result after just over 2 years are now showing signs of deteriation, inside the rear wheel about a quarter of the power coat is not attatched to the wheel and quite a few other signs of corrosion underneath the paint. The annoying thing is that the tyres are almost new.
anyone know the price of Toyota alloys? I am sure to much, also if you have bought after market wheels and how well they stand up to the british weather, I like the look of polished rims but feel they would not stay looking good for that long, also do some place offer you px on your wheels and tyres because I do not think 4 wheels and tyres would fit in my car.
your thoughts and advice please  s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

All alloys corrode in our crap environment.
New wheels from Toyota are just silly amounts of money.

There are re-furbishers and re-furbishers, there are good powder coaters and rubbish powder coaters.
After market wheels suffer the same problems, some are good and some are bad.
Polished rims need a lot of looking after ... been there.

If you like the standard wheels, find somewhere that does powder coating properly (preparation is key here).
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Jay67

couldn't agree more with Wabbitkilla, I had mine refurbed 2 yrs ago and they still look new today. I'd go for another refurb if like me you like the stock wheels, maybe someone on here can recommend a company near to you?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

nimrod

Thanks for your advice, I suppose that I was thinking about the inconvenience of being without a car for 3 or 4 days, also the car being left in a residential car park being left on axle stands, corrosion has not broken through yet so gives me a bit of thinking time, think I will leave for now and get these wheels through the winter.

Jay67

might be somebody local with a spare set you can fit while yours are being refurbed
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

jonty

some refurb places will have wheels you can borrow, or you can get a set pretty cheap (£80 in the for sale section) to thrown on them whilst the others get sorted, then sell them on again at the same price.

nimrod

Good idea that would sort out my concerns.

RacingSnake

Don't know if its of any interest by a former work colleague of mine is refurbing my wheels right this minute. Unfortunately I don't have the MR2 any more but chatted to him about the 'bubbling' alloys issue lots of people suffer & he is aware of this on Toyotas generally. The wheels being done today are mainly old kerbing damage but look to be coming up OK. He has a mobile service but runs from Hampshire. If you wanted to enquire he's on  m http://www.facebook.com/#!/r3newalloys m  (Adam) - He doesn't use powder coating with the mobile service but whatever he's done seems to look good on the first wheel!  s:) :) s:)
Apologies if this falls into 'advertising' which I wouldn't want to annoy the mods with - happy to have the link removed and just PM me for his contact details.

Two's Company

I was going to take mine to smart wheels in Manchester. Although I went to Chicago powder coating in mossley today who will powder coat wheels up to 16 inch for £15 each. Up to 20 inch is £20 a wheel. I'll have to get the tyres off and put back on somewhere else. Worth considering for anyone in the manchester area.

Tags: