AirCon ... why didnt I get it!

Started by Anonymous, May 19, 2004, 14:16

Anonymous

Okay I have posted on here before saying how I would never have AC whilst owning a soft top ... oh my god I would have given my left arm to have a bit of that cold air blowing around by my feet today!  Roof down .. AC blowing up from the feet that would have been lush, but "oh no I had to be a cheap skate!!!   s:P :P s:P  "

I am now jealous of you kids with AC   s:x :x s:x

scottee

I thought that I would never use my AC on it, but now i've seen a few HOT days, I can see the advantage of it, its great  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

scottee  ... thanks for rubbing it in!  what kind of set up do you have?  'hood down' .. aircon on feet or what?

zud

I find it's most effective blowing straight at the body... for hot in the winter or A/C in the summer.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Hope4Sun

During my visit to Atlanta the year before last to see Spyderwoman and Exboyracer and other US owners, and to go to Fast Eddies big birthday bash in Tampa. All the 2's had the roofs up when we were in Florida as it was just too damn hot, but the good old AC was nice   s8) 8) s8)  

I'm never getting a car with out it again... sorry to rub it in further   s:? :? s:?  

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

Quote from: "zud"I find it's most effective blowing straight at the body... .

oo err!

I have to admit it is very, very nice whislting round your feet!  I just like laying back whilst sitting at the traffic lights and topping up my tan   s8) 8) s8)

zud

Quote from: "lilylaville nearly"I have to admit it is very, very nice just laying back whilst sitting at the traffic lights

oo er!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

sorry, it's a quiet afternoon at work!    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

It sounds odd in a convertible but A/C was one of my main requirements when looking for a replacement for the Volvo. That was the first car I have owened with it and it is brilliant. One of the reasons I didn't go the the elise.

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheRaven"It sounds odd in a convertible but A/C was one of my main requirements .

I thought "I dont need aircon I am getting a convertible" ... the truth opf the matter being you are 10x hotter in a convertible because the sunlight is beaming directly onto you rather than being shielded by a roof!

markiii

It can be retrofitted. Ask Mr T for a price.

doubt it will be cheap though.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"It can be retrofitted. Ask Mr T for a price.

Just over a grand IIRC. worked out around £960ish with a 10% discount when i asked.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "markiii"It can be retrofitted. Ask Mr T for a price.

Just over a grand IIRC. worked out around £960ish with a 10% discount when i asked.

And it's what, £900 as a factory fit option? Sounds like a good price for a retrofit to me.  s:D :D s:D  

DP

Anonymous

Aircon is the best thing in the world ever!  I was exactly the same when I bought my 2 "wtf do I need aircon for?!?!?!"  It's well worth the money.

One problem with owning the 2 I hadn't thought about at all.

Sunburnt head !

After these last few days of awesome weather me old noggin is starting to turna bit pink.    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I too thought AC was apointless exercise on a soft top until last year...............BOY was I glad that it was a happy coincidence that the car had ti when I bought it....................nice............  s8) 8) s8)

MRMike

Why ??

Because I prefer this..

You can keep your Air con and parasitic loss   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

hey there, newbie here.....   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   how much does the air con effect ur milage.

Darth Paul

Um, dunno. Having paid nearly a grand for it I try to use it as little as possible so as not to dent my performance and fuel economy too much!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I just use it to cool the cabin and then when at speed the air around keeps me cool, unless it's a really hot day and the A/C's on full time.

darrenjuggins

MR2 = Less fuel economy than a diesel.

Don't worry about the rest just use it, with / Without Aircon on / off or with Roof on or off, if you start worry about fuel its time to get rid !

Fuel consuption for mine rages from mid 20's (in traffic) to top end 30's on good long runs....

The roof down experince kills MPG, so don't worry about the air con max 1 to 2 MPG which is far less than the window down drag factor IMHO.

Cheers
Darren   s:D :D s:D
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Quote from: "MRMike"Why ??

Because I prefer this..

You can keep your Air con and parasitic loss   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I agree. That would be nice blowing me    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Have had air con in quite a few cars but have only used it twice    s:? :? s:?  
Once stuck on the M25 & once cos I had a sick puppy in the back.

Never bothered with it on the 2 & i dont miss it at all.

filcee

Just remember to run every now and again to stop that "smelly pond" smell infesting the system.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

A wee run that is! It stops the AC compressor seals from going u/s. 5-10 mins a month is fine.
Gordy

Haslamr2

HI!

Now can I just get clarification on this aircon thing please?
I'm thinking seriously about getting a new 2.  I originally thought that having a/c on it would be a waste of money...afterall if it's hot you just put the roof down and use the blower set to cold don't you??

I'm not really happy about shelling out an extra £900 for a/c on a soft top.  Seems a bit tight fisted of Toyota not to fit it as standard!  Also do they get really steamed up in the winter or something?

Also, do you think I should wait for the new facelifted version to come out in order to get a better deal on the current model. Does anyone know when the "tweaked" model will be out? Saw some spy shots in a mag the other month.

So in summary a/c or not a/c that's the question my friends!

s8) 8) s8)
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

SimonC_Here

I love the aircon on mine. If and when we do get hot weather here this summer it will be great.

Quote from: "Haslamr2"..afterall if it's hot you just put the roof down and use the blower set to cold don't you??

The problem with this is that the blower only moves the warm air from the outside to the inside. It doesn't actually cool it.

Simon

darrenjuggins

Buy Aircon - I have mine on all the time, the only time you get any steaming is if the air temperature is below zero when you are demisting, it's actualyl better to have outside air coming into the car.

As for top down - I turn mine off if the weather is "normal", but if the heat gets up (it did, honestly at some point last year) then the aircon is great for giving you a nice chilly blast whilst your enjoying the sun..... very much like being in one of thou tanning booths !!!

As for the cost - you will regret not buying it afterward - then it will cost you to have it retrofitted and it won't be covered by your warranty.

Whats this about waiting for a new model - my latest information is that the MR2 and Celica are being replaced next year by one car, which I understand will be more celica than MR2 - so it's questionable weather a new MR2 variant will appear at all - if you want an MR2 buy one now and enjoy it this summer.

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

roger

I don't have air con! i had the same dilemma as you, because I swear by it in a tin-top, but TBH I haven't missed it.

I have fabric seats though. Might get sticky with leather in the hot weather without it.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The car has excellent blowers, so misty windscreens are no problem, just keep a bottle of water by your side when its hot - for you, not the car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: