AirCon ... why didnt I get it!

Started by Anonymous, May 19, 2004, 14:16

GSB

I've got AC in my new car, but have yet to use it... I didnt ever really need it in the old '2 to be honest, only once did I really wish I'd bought it, when I was stuck in a traffic jam in the blazing sunshine... That was a very sweaty couple of hours.  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

When I ordered the new one I got a bit happy with the options list and picked it out to provide more ammo to kick the dealer around the sales floor with... I thought it might be nice to have. I c imagine it'll get plenty of use in the summer though, and I now have the choice of being able to roast my bottom with the heated seats, whilst cooling my feet with refrigerated air and topping up my tan.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I hardly ever use it myself, though it was useful a couple of times over the winter for faster desteaming.  If I'd bought the car new I probably wouldn't have bothered, whereas the leather seats and the hard top are 'must haves' IMO.

Anyway, doesn't it say in the owner's manual that a/c shouldn't be used when the roff is down?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

SimonC_Here

Aren't you supposed to give aircon a blast every few months just to keep it happy?

Keep the fluids moving and stuff?

Simon

Bongo

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Aren't you supposed to give aircon a blast every few months just to keep it happy?

Keep the fluids moving and stuff?

Simon

That's the only reason i've ever turned mine on   s:? :? s:?

darrenjuggins

You all seem to be missing the beauty of Air Con - the fact it conditions the air and stops all the lovely diesel fumes coming into the car and all them lovely smells from the country side (muck spreading come to mind!)

Purely for the conditioning qualities I would purchase it, I use it at all heats, I just like the peice of mind I won't get stunk out.....

The fact that you can get it to make you freezing on a sunny day is secondary to me.....

Have I been spoilt in the past or what ?

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

heathstimpson

I have always have air con but decided it was not worth it on the 2 @ a cost of about 1K. Over the last two years I have not really missed it at all. Not worth the extra cost in my eyes; just a nice to have.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

A must-have for me, all about quality of life, and having the choice, not sure how I'd feel paying that amount of extra when purchasing a brand newie, but then having bought brand new before, I wouldn't make that mistake again, unless I was minted beyond belief.
In essence, awesome in the winter, specially if you're as impatient as I am, very quick demisting (comparing demisting functionality to the standard blowers is hilarious!).
And summer, no need for words, a whole different ball game to "normal-blowers-set-on-cold"
I'd say the point is, if you have the money to spare, and like your luxuries, just do it, a no-brainer.
If you dont mind the uncomfortableness in the hot weather, and the waiting-to-be-able-to-see in the winter, save your money.

roger

Quote from: "Stevo"If you dont mind the uncomfortableness in the hot weather, and the waiting-to-be-able-to-see in the winter, save your money.

Not my experience, but I would agree expensive if you buy new (which I did), but useful if you can get it for "nought" when buying used.

By the way I don't think anybody has mentioned the loss of performance or extra fuel costs when running air-con. I presume we all know it happens, but to what degree? Anybody done a Gtech on one?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I like the option of extra cooling on really hot days, and if I'm hot 'cause I've been doing something physical and then jumped in the car.

That said, I've always thoughth the AC on the '2 is a bit crap for demisting in the winter.  Mine seems to make next to no difference, yet on other cars I've driven the demist with AC takes seconds.

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"By the way I don't think anybody has mentioned the loss of performance or extra fuel costs when running air-con. I presume we all know it happens, but to what degree? Anybody done a Gtech on one?
I think it's fairly negligible mate, I've never Gtech'd it but my A/C is pretty much constantly on, I've never been concerned with fuel costs TBH, it gets empty, I fill it up, however, for the first time in my driving career (spanning 15 wholesome years!) very recently I did do a check and was pleasantly surprised to find I got 32 miles per gallon, that includes varied driving conditions, but as far as A/C concerned, it was mainly on.

Anonymous

On the de-mist front, what settings do you switch the heating controls to in order to get maximum demisting, and how long do you typically have to wait for it to demist?  ie. am I doing something wrong, or being too demanding?

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"You all seem to be missing the beauty of Air Con - the fact it conditions the air and stops all the lovely diesel fumes coming into the car and all them lovely smells from the country side (muck spreading come to mind!)Darren

Yes but when you are topless you're exposed to diesel and muck spreading and you don't put the top up  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

darrenjuggins

David you have a point....   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

But I still love having mind for the warming, cooling and filtering   s8) 8) s8)  

Cheers

Darren
Darren A. Juggins

mrsmr2

It gets very hot in mine in the sun with the black leather seats and roof down.  Then it's essential - you know the days when you have to lower the wind deflector and the windows just to generate a draught.

The only time I've used it over the winter was for maintenance reasons.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

filcee

I tend to use mine more in the winter than summer, as it's just the bees knees for de-misting and keeping the car comfy on my long drives around the UK.

In summer, I use it for 1/2 hr per week to keep the fluids in good nick, whenever the soft-top is up (rarely) and on stinking hot days (again, rarely  :-) :-) :-)  )

The best bit is that it really helps the car to move on when it's time for the next one ... all the dealers say 'that's a really good spec', cue for a bad price from them & more haggling from me  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tags: