side vents/spoilers/rear vents interested ?

Started by wotugonado, October 10, 2012, 19:06

Anonymous

Quote from: "AckersMR2"
Quote from: "trevsmr2"This cover is available ,but shipping costs are high apparently ,shame ,

Does look nice, not sure what you do if it starts raining?

Well I guess I better stop lurking around, that's my car you posted, thanks!  You would store it in the passenger seat if it rains but then of course no one would be able to ride with you, also when tucked in there you have to lean forward because of how big it is.  The best thing to do is check the weather report first so you hopefully don't have to worry about, lol.

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]Don't worry in the interests of tidying things up the GB activity has been split off and moved to the location in the link below. Please continue to discuss item details here, if you want to take part in the GroupBuy then follow the link [/MOD]

Find the GroupBuy here
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

MattPerformance

Quote from: "simers"
Quote from: "nathanMR2"Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt that going to destroy the handling of what is one of the best  affordable handling cars out there??  s:? :? s:?
Elaborate please as I'm only going 2 inches wider which should actually improve handling as the wheel will cover more ground... How do you think that will mess up handling???

I've just been re-reading this thread and since the main GB has been diverted I'll comment on this point without fear of contaminating the GB matters...

Firstly, you're going to need to massively increase the rolling circumference of the tyres in order to get the widths that you want.  That affects gearing and ride height/ rake angle
Secondly, the offset (approximated at et0) will not only increase the loads on bearings etc, it will increase the moment of force on the suspension so that the suspension will deflect more for a given load (therefore suspension needs to be stiffened up, but by the right amount, and that's a trial and error thing)
Thirdly, the additional tyre width will of course give more grip but the tendency to tram line will be hugely increased.  This phenomenon is well known on the steering axle but it will also occur at the back so can lead to instability there as well as unstable steering.
Fourthly, the amount of extra inertia of the wheel/ tyre assemblies will dramatically sap power and throttle response. (such a big step up in width will also add a lot of unsprung weight which will adversely affect suspension efficiency)

They will look good though and all of these ill effects can be countered (with revised hardware, more power etc etc) but if you just bolt really wide wheels on expect the handling to be severely compromised.

Tags: