New 17s Fitted

Started by scottee, May 25, 2004, 15:53

scottee

Well, i've had my new 17s fitted after much debate.

Now i've got them on, im happy, personally, i have not noticed any difference in the way the car handles or accelerates, and they look cool! They do remind me of the stnard wheel a little, with the 5 spoke layout.

Donno what everyone else thinks of them (each to their own) but I love them!

m http://homepage.ntlworld.com/my_mr2/wheelcompare.jpg m

Roll on those TTE springs now!

markiii

well if you only oput them on teh frtont what do youexpect  :-) :-) :-)

seriosuly, you'll notice teh difference when/if you ever go back to stock. So if your curious try it after a couple of weeks,  but it might spoil your enjoyment of teh 17" so maybe not  :-) :-) :-)

just out of interest

what wheels?
what offset?
what width?
what weigth?

what tyres? make and size?

I hope you got teh offset right if your going to lower it  s:-( :-( s:-(
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

have u got any side on shots???they look like they are sticking out from under the wheel arch which like markii said you may have trouble when you lower it.
nice wheels though.  s:D :D s:D

scottee

what wheels?
WolfRace

what offset?
et40 with 205/45/17 falken tyres

They look a little odd because the front wheels are at a bit of an angle in that picture, i'll try to get a better one, nothing is sticking out

Anonymous

have you had 205's all round or different sizes tyres frt and back????

scottee

Same all around, i was going to go different on the rear, but opted not to

markiii

205/40/17 would have been closer to stock rolling radius, any particular reason you went for 205/45 ?

since you went the same tire all round be careful when pushing it.

with low profile tyres there will be less warning tha teh back end is going to come around. and with the same tyre al round it is going to want to do just that.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

be especially careful in the wet with that tyre set up and like markii said dont put the power down to quick otherwise you will be facing the opposite way before you know what happened.

scottee

Well my old 15" rear was almost totally bald (i know i REALLY shouldnt let it get like that, but i was about to buy new alloys!) So i've been used to the rear going sideways, but i'll be careful (as always!)

The guys in the shop recomended the 45's *shrug*

markiii

thast why I never listen to guys "in teh shop"

run the number on  m http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html m  and see how much off both your speedo top speed, and acceleration will be.

and sorry if this seems like I have a downer but because your overal wheel/tyre size will be out I wouldn't be confident that a 30mm drop with teh TTE springs isn't going to rub  s:-( :-( s:-(

Anonymous

i went through all this when i had my 17's fitted and i had a right game with the wrong tyres. after doing all the tyre size calculators i could get my hands and asking for help on spyderchat  it came down to 205/40 on the frt and 225/35 on the bck.
this gave me the closest set up to up sizing your wheels in relation to the stock set up (not taking the weight ratio into consideration though).
i originally fitted 215's on the back but noticed that it was sluggish on acceleration.
now i only went for looks and not the performance side so i am more than happy with 17's.
sorry if i seem critical as i really like your choice of wheels but i would personally see if you can change the tyre set up.
but its your choice and thats just my opinion.(please dont take offense  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
cheers for that tyre calculator markii makes me feel even better about the rear tyre choice.

scottee

well i'll give it a go, if it comes to it, i'll have to chaange tyres hehe

LeeUK

Well I think your choice of wheel looks great mate, I saw them on a Barry'd up 106 and thought they'd look good on my car!  Looking at yours they do!   s:D :D s:D
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

Hi guys,

Im currently looking into 17's myself...

I've seen some with these measurements:

7X17 - 17" by 7

PCD 114 3X4 - What does this mean??

ET40 - Offset

Central Bore L - What does this mean??

Bearing in mind, i've lowered my car, does anybody know if these would fit my car? I understand i would need 205/40/17 and 225/35/17 tyres for these.

Thanks for your help...

Darth Paul

Don't know about offset but I'm fairly sure that the PCD is 100mm.

markiii

PCD is 4 x 100

this means 4 bolts seperated diagonally across by 100mm

so no they won' fit.

Centreboreis related to how they centre on teh hub, get this wrong and the wheel will wobble on teh hub. we are hubcentric.

Anonymous

Cool - Thanks for your help guys!

markiii

just ahd a brainwavr

centerbore L is Lugcentric

Anonymous

There are few other ppl running same tires all around, without many issues, they just adjusted the tire pressure properly, I suggest you maybe do the search here or at SC... I remember reading about it few weeks ago...

markiii

I really don't see the point in putting teh same size rubber all round.

for teh little added costs why hamper teh performance fo a car you bought to perform? seems daft to me.

Tags: