Hard Top

Started by Anonymous, June 4, 2004, 13:28

Anonymous

Hi All,

I've just purchased a used MR2 Roadster with Roll Bar and TTE exhausts (03 plate) and wondered if I can get a hard top fitted?

many Thanks.
Tony

markiii

Tony,

If you do a search there is loads of info on how to do this, including the fitting instructions.

But in short Yes.

Welcome along.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks,

Do you know how much they cost?

Anonymous

Again, prices can be found in previous posts, but look between £350-£700 for a second hand one.

Anonymous

Welcome along Tony.

Keep your eye out on ebay, sometimes you'll find (nicked?!!)  ones on there!

THEMOSS

Why do you want a hard top?!!!!! This is a soft-top car! The rule for my '2 is 'If it isn't raining the roof goes down.' Cold weather? Enjoy that fresh air! And rain makes a nice noise on the roof. Think of the things you can buy for that money. Lowered suspension, better tyres, etc.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink: :wink:
Lotus Elise Sport 160

Liz

I thought that, but admit I do love my hardtop for the winter, visibilty is 100% better.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

The MOSS I agree ... nothing better than hooding down in winter when its nice and crips!  You hardly feel the cold at all  s;) ;) s;) !

Anonymous

Quote from: "floater"The MOSS I agree ... nothing better than hooding down in winter when its nice and crips!  You hardly feel the cold at all  s;) ;) s;) !

With everyone laughing and pointing at you as your wrapped up in your coat, scarf, hat etc etc.   s:? :? s:?    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I have to agree with Liz, i love my hard top. From about November i didnt have the roof down once so it made sence to get a hard top for the added security & to protect the soft top a bit from the winter elements. And come on, the '2 does look the absolute dogs with the HT on!   s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

had my top off on Christmas day last year and it was gorgeous, save your money Tony and get a descent jacket far easier to fit as well, at very least try one winter without a hardtop and perhaps meet up with someone who does have one and compare. I personally changed my mind after one winter without one and wouldn't bother now with one.

Mind you you may just think they look cool
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

I dont really care if people are laughing at me.  I find the majority of these people are jelaous anyway.

Although it does look awesome witht eh ht on I have to admit, but for me personally I wouldnt use it, as there is nothing nicer than a hooding down on a chilly sunny winter morn IMHO

ChrisHumes

i fitted a hardtop aftermarket. bought one from ebay in the correct colour, had to get all fitting kit from toyota. thats where you will feel cheated because of the price toyota charge for nuts and bolts and the brackets (about £250!). Got hardtop for £500 (with cover and storage rack), its easy to fit, and does look good, but takes up loads of space in the garage

THEMOSS

I couldn't care less about people laughing at me in the winter. So i'm supposed to have the top up and ruin my enjoyment of the fresh air, just in case someone i don't know and will never see again laughs at me?!!!!

For security purposes i can see the sense in it, but there is NO way i would spend all that money on a hard top. This car is all about open air enjoyment of a rear wheel drive roadster. If all people want is a fashion accessory then they should join the droves with their 'bling bling' Beemers!

Personally i think hard-tops are ugly, just my opinion.

Bet that's put the cat amongst the pidgeons............  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Lotus Elise Sport 160

Anonymous

Like the others I like having my hardtop on in the winter... a few of the upsides are:

- Increased visibility... no joke it's tonnes better with the HT.
    - More security
    - Less shake and vibration (yes, I know, there are other ways to help there)
    - Less noise
    - Tends to transform the car... like having a new motor every 6 months.
    - Changes the looks, and I quite like both versions... on and off.

Anonymous

Tony,
A cheap way of doing it is to look at the Auto Trader web site and contact all the private sales of MR2s either by email or phone, offer them £400+ if they will sell the hard top seperate from the car.
Explain to them that they do not get the full value of extra items such as hard tops etc if sold in one package eg:- MR2 with hard top £12,000, MR2 without hard top £11,750, hard top sold seperately with fitting kit £475.
Also fitting a hard top holds the very flexible body together, eliminating the many rattles and creeks.
If you prefere to go topless in winter you will fined it very difficult stopping the box of tissues bloing away, you need this by the way for the runny nose and eyes the topless ones have while driving and for one hour after. Oh rear lights arn't required the red ears serve that purpose.
Going back to the purchase, this method worked for me giving me a choice of 4 tops of different colours, I finnished up with a silver top with fitting kit(you exchange your standard items for the kit) for £475.

THEMOSS

Quote from: "David Watson"Tony,
If you prefere to go topless in winter you will fined it very difficult stopping the box of tissues bloing away, you need this by the way for the runny nose and eyes the topless ones have while driving and for one hour after. Oh rear lights arn't required the red ears serve that purpose.

Or if you prefer Tony you could use a miracle of modern technology. Don't think mant people here have heard of it though. It's called a 'heater'.
Lotus Elise Sport 160

Anonymous

also when you go topless you dont have to 'window down' which would cause all of the symptoms described by watson.  However as we all know with the hood down and the windows up there is not much buffetting etc so the runny nose and eyes doesnt happen!!!!

Tags: