Euro NCAP

Started by Peter Laborne, June 14, 2004, 12:19

Peter Laborne

Ever wondered why the Roadster hasn't yet been tested on the Euro NCAP crash tests. Here is a reply I have just got from them:

The MR2 is on the list of cars to be tested. However, we have limited funding available and its about making choices, so it is a matter of waiting until a member is able to sponsor the tests.

So who is a member that sponsors them? Is it the car manufacturers that supply the cars?

Tem

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"Is it the car manufacturers that supply the cars?

I have always thought so.

If I was deciding that for Toyota, I probably wouldn't give them one either. It's a lose-lose situation to them. If it does well, they probably won't sell any more Roadsters cause of that. If it sucks, it might have a negative effect to sales. And in the end Toyota is all about making money...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Tem"If I was deciding that for Toyota, I probably wouldn't give them one either. If it does well, they probably won't sell any more Roadsters cause of that

So you wouldn't buy a car because it is safe   s:? :? s:?  

I thought Toyota would be proud to show off how well the 2 handles in a roll over or in a car vs pedestrian collision.

Or do they already know it would score poorly?

Tem

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"So you wouldn't buy a car because it is safe   s:? :? s:?  

I thought Toyota would be proud to show off how well the 2 handles in a roll over or in a car vs pedestrian collision.

I wouldn't care if the '2 is safe or not. I don't really believe in this safetycrap anyway, I think the driver is the most important safety device and everything after that is just a drop in the ocean.

I'm sure they have a pretty good idea how the '2 would do in the test...

dreambackup

your EuroNCAP contact is a baaaaaad liar  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

they recently have been caught getting their cars (Toyota Avensis IIRC among others) from the factory... free of charge... just because automakers want their cars to be released with 5 stars... it's all marketing now.

if the roadster hasn't been tested, it's just because of bad timing

- in 2000, EuroNCAP was to buy the cars and since the MR is a low volume car it wasn't a priority
- between 2001 and 2003, the car was not in the news anymore so from "low priority testing" it change to "who cares if it's safe, anyway"
- in 2003-2004, the MR is a dead parrot Toyota won't give away to be tested...

IMO...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

Anonymous

inclusion of seatbelt warning beeper to 04 mr2 suggests that mr2 might be tested (2 points to Euro NCAP test). The thing is, I dont even know of any other roadsters tested, so it would be tough comparisment to other 5 star cars.

MR2 has safety cage around the cabin, specially designed seats, and 2 airbags, which helped Yaris achieve the best in class ratings (it is the same engineering design for all of those), so I doubt it would receive less than 4 stars, like Yaris, which is still top rated b segment car in the class...

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "spwolf"The thing is, I dont even know of any other roadsters tested.

You didn't look far   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
 m http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_ ... .php?id1=8 m

SteveJ

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "Tem"If I was deciding that for Toyota, I probably wouldn't give them one either. If it does well, they probably won't sell any more Roadsters cause of that

So you wouldn't buy a car because it is safe   s:? :? s:?  

What Tem meant was they wont increase sales as a result of a good test.

Ref roll-over and car vs pedestrian, I'm pretty sure the Roadster will score pretty poorly on both - especially the pedestrian test as the car is so low - it will almost certainly break the victim's knees and they will then impact with the screen header rail.

Darth Paul

Quote from: "spwolf"inclusion of seatbelt warning beeper to 04 mr2

'04s have seatbelt beepers...?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I didnt check for you yet, did i? sorry

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Darth Paul"'04s have seatbelt beepers...?

Geez, try using the button   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Someone mentioned that there was an anoying beeping related to the seatbelts......can't remember who though   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"
Quote from: "Darth Paul"'04s have seatbelt beepers...?

Geez, try using the button   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Someone mentioned that there was an anoying beeping related to the seatbelts......can't remember who though   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Now I'm only guessing here, but I'd think DP knows a lot about '04 beeps being an owner of one  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Darth Paul

Cheers for the defense Tem, but Peter was making a joke!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Quote from: "Darth Paul"Cheers for the defense Tem, but Peter was making a joke!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Hey I tried to do the same!  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Darth Paul

Oops!

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"Ref roll-over and car vs pedestrian, I'm pretty sure the Roadster will score pretty poorly on both - especially the pedestrian test as the car is so low - it will almost certainly break the victim's knees and they will then impact with the screen header rail.

I'm not aware of an NCAP roll-over test

The MGF (sorry) does rather well in the pedestrian test, partly because it's mid-engined and therefore soft under the bonnet.  I reckon the '2 might be good as well.

Anonymous

How much does the NCAP Test actually count for in reality?

It only tests for certain enventualities. At the end of the day as previously mentioned the number 1 safety device in any car is the driver and if the shit realy hits the fan and you roll your MR2, one of the major impact points is your head  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

sure it matters, but as mentioned before, MR2 has been design to conform to the latest safety standards... In fact, as we know from few mr2's that crashed, it helds up quite well (remember Akavish crashing with SUV, and getting out fine, with MR2 being totalled)

noddynurdle

hey i dont care about  the test
i live life dangerously
it might go off it you touch it
2000 red/black second hand had 5500 on clock
now got 38000.
MODS after market valve caps, dynamatted focal 165a speakers, visor pluged, painted calipers and a set of Victor\'s bags.
oh and me nodding dog called spot.

GSB

I'm not sure that Toyota aren't going to give EURO NCAP a go, check out the latest chassis strengthening:  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=55467#55467 m
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Haslamr2

Don't want to be morbid or anything but I was thinking about what would happen if the '2 ever did roll over? I'm used to tin tops...I know that doesn't mean a better guarantee of survival but it puts the odds slightly more in your favour IMHO.

Guess I'm just concerned about the eventualities if the worst happened.

Wondered what you all felt...is it something you just put to the back of your minds?  Also with the engine being just behind you what happens if you get a shunt from behind, would that engine end up pinning you against the steering wheel maybe?

Think I'm in one of the worrying moods...sorry  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

markiii

Quote from: Haslamr2Also with the engine being just behind you what happens if you get a shunt from behind, would that engine end up pinning you against the steering wheel maybe?
quote]

as opposed to a front engine taking your legs off? doeesn't really worry me any more or less.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Haslamr2

Fair comment!

Was just mulling things over is all. Now the weather is hopefully getting better.
[size=75]05 MR2 1.8 VVT-i Roadster Red Spec Edit, TTE Dual exhaust TTE Lowering springs
Ali Larter in the passenger seat...lovin it!!! [/size]

Tags: