e-bay........the insomniacs curse

Started by Anonymous, June 19, 2004, 09:39

Anonymous

Bongo

Does the Off Road use only in the top left indicate that it's not road legal?   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Tem

Huh...a "4-point" belt with only two connectors..?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Somehow I wouldn't feel safe in that  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

crankshaft

Urmm, doesent 4 points mean 4 points of contact, i.e 2 shoulders, and either side of the waist (or around it) ??!

Crankshaft
2001 SMT - Pete

Anonymous

Looks like a 4 point to me... as in 4 mounting points. A 3 point harness just has one mount at the back and mounts on each side. Personally i like the idea of a harness like that and with Perrys car, i think it will fit in nicely.

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Looks like a 4 point to me... as in 4 mounting points.

Ah, youre' right kris, should've looked more carefully  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Seemed like the upper belts go back to the lower belts and connect at the same point...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SteveJ

The 'structural' cross member you refer to MUST NOT BE USED TO MOUNT SEATBELTS

The tube that runs across the car at the top of the bins is simply to brace the sides of the car apart - there is absolutely no strength in it in the direction that a seat belt would require in an accident.

If you do go ahead with this, then you will be having a seriously intimate moment with the air-bag (and steering wheel as the air-bag relies on the seatbelt to slow you down first) in the event of an accident

TAKE MY ADVICE - DONT DO IT

Could I make this any clearer   s:?: :?: s:?:   s:( :( s:(

SteveJ

Oh and another problem - the top section of the harness should go backwards through the car downwards at 30degress or less from horizontal (IIRC from the SVA rules).

This simple rule means the hood has got to go in order to get to a suitable mount point for the top straps.

Anonymous

well thats nice and helpfull, usual negative type comment you get on here

Why on earth some people on here seem to take pleasure in thinking of reasons why modifications cant or shouldnt be done rather than putting some thought into ways around such problems I'll never know?

It seems every few weeks some unsuspecting soul will mention getting larger wheels, only to be told how it will ruin acceleration blah blah, yet T.T.E. the apparent gods of MR2 modding (if you believe what you read on here) happily sell 17" wheels for the roadster???

Next of course it will be the "oh no you didnt get the same size tyres all round , did you?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  "   "you do know the car will lose it if you as much as look at the gas pedal!"

Yet T.T.E suggest themselves that their 17's are ...  Quote:

for tyre size 205/40 R 17 front and rear axle or alternatively 225/35 R 17 rear axle

It really baffles me when some poor sod has just spent his hard earned wonga on a set of rims/tyres only to be told by a regular on here that he's done the wrong thing and should change the lot.

But I digress:-

I fully intend to keep my standard inertia seat belts in place for everyday use and  'if'  I feel that these harnesses are not safe then I obviously wont use them, but believe me when I say that if suitable I WILL find a way of fitting them securely, wether it be to the cross member, existing seat belt point, or via additional bespoke bracing.

The challenge is finding a way to do it, not excuses why not

In retrespect I wont bother posting about this or any further mods, as this obviously isnt the right forum

Bongo

I think most people want to keep people safe - especially in this case, where fitting incorrectly could have horrendous consequences.

markiii

Perry,

Speaking for myself personally,  I'll tell people my opinions based on my experience. You or anyone else can do likewise, anyone is then free to make up their own minds.

I really don't care if people kill themselves through not taking that advice or not. As with everything people make up their own minds.

As for TTE, most of their parts catalogue is looks over performace, I wouldn't argue that teh wheels are any more a performace mod than teh interior chrome kit. In fact their wheels are some of the heaviest you can buy.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

To be honest Perry if you want to go out and put yourself (and any unsuspecting passenger you may have at the time) at risk of serious injury (or more likely death) then fine - please feel free to continue.

One thing I will ask however is that you don't promote blatently dangerous mod's that less well informed visitors to this site may copy in turn putting themselves at risk.

It may seem that I only post in the negative, but I am only trying to act as a sanity check, giving people the benefit of my point of view as an engineer, and if you feel the need to flame me for that then please continue - at least I'll be warm whilst I am still able to drive my car.

SteveJ

Perry,

Congratulations on finding the edit button - all you have managed to do is make this thread look like some sort of personal attack against you and your mods rather than a reasoned and sensible discussion about what could potential be a very serious mistake which if it saved even one person from making that same mistake with the potentially serious consequences then it was well worth the flaming I have received.

I don't see that this thread serves any purpose, so I am taking an executive decision to lock it before the original reason for this discussion is forgotten completely.

Tags: